U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 PM

205 posts, read 526,748 times

Advertisements

how serious is a guy about a girl if he is thinking about potential children with her? i know girls can start thinking about potential family with just as crush, w/o a date even, but guys? do they have to be serious about the girl to talk to her about potential children? or can guys be like girls and talk about having kids with anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM

609 posts, read 1,114,428 times
I love kids (volunteered at my local children's hospital for 3 years) but I wouldn't talk about having kids with the potential partner until way down the road when we're both comfortable with sharing more personal information. If she asks if I want children, I'll say 'yes' as a general response.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 2,560,579 times
I've seen guys talk about having kids when they had no particular "agenda". There are some guys out there that like kids and want them some day.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM

10,464 posts, read 7,353,209 times
There's a difference between talking about having kids someday and having kids with a particular someone.

I think it's sweet when a guy likes a girl enough to talk about having kids with her, but there's definitely a line that you don't want to cross.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:44 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,782,119 times
If it looks like the relationship might be going somewhere, then it's VERY important to have that conversation sooner rather than later. If the guy is looking to get married and have a family, and the woman has no interest in kids, why waste his time?

Now, if it's early days and he's just making general conversation and not indicating that he is looking at the woman as an incubator, no big deal. Some guys really love kids. Doesn't mean he wants them right now, or in the next year, but just as a someday-thing.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:01 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,611,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
how serious is a guy about a girl if he is thinking about potential children with her?
What exactly do you mean by "thinking about potential children"? "Thinking" about it and "Talking" about it are two different things. For one, no woman is a mind reader and she doesnt know what the guy (or anyone for that matter) is thinking. If the guy is "talking" about it, more often than not, this is just the guy trying to figure out a way to get the woman to have sex with him or have MORE sex with him. In other words, if the guy is talking about children (he shouldnt because marriage should come first), he is more than likely just trying to figure out a way to make the girl say "aaaaawwwwwww" and get him sex.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:05 PM

205 posts, read 526,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
What exactly do you mean by "thinking about potential children"? "Thinking" about it and "Talking" about it are two different things. For one, no woman is a mind reader and she doesnt know what the guy (or anyone for that matter) is thinking. If the guy is "talking" about it, more often than not, this is just the guy trying to figure out a way to get the woman to have sex with him or have MORE sex with him. In other words, if the guy is talking about children (he shouldnt because marriage should come first), he is more than likely just trying to figure out a way to make the girl say "aaaaawwwwwww" and get him sex.
he says "if we get serious and have a couple of kids down the road in a year or 2" or something along those lines..........is what i mean by "thinking about potential children"

Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 PM

9,788 posts, read 5,376,735 times
Could be a real desire for offspring, or just a ploy to get to the part that pushes offspring out.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,382,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
how serious is a guy about a girl if he is thinking about potential children with her? i know girls can start thinking about potential family with just as crush, w/o a date even, but guys? do they have to be serious about the girl to talk to her about potential children? or can guys be like girls and talk about having kids with anyone?

I like kids.. I just couldn't eat a whole one.

Really, if I'm going to talk about having children with someone, I better be damn serious with them. It depends on how the talk is too though.. If it's something like, "Yeah, I want to have kids someday.. maybe a couple boys and a hermaphrodite.." well, I wouldn't take that too seriously. But, if it's, "I think we would make beautiful children..", that's pretty serious. That's not something that I would ever mention casually.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 AM

564 posts, read 1,574,431 times
Usually when I talk about kids that early, it's "you don't want kids, do you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships