Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Especially considering that even if the man is the sole breadwinner, usually he'll still be doing a good portion of the housework..... rodents, plumbing, caulking, carpentry, lawn, cars, major repairs....
No man in my family has ever done anything above and beyond cutting the grass and setting mousetraps. Everything else on that list is left to professionals.

Even so, I was just having a conversation with a friend about her division of labor. She was saying that yeah, her husband does his part around the house, but the things that he does--painting, grass cutting, fixing things that are broken, aren't the kind of jobs that are as consistant as what she does around the house--cooking, laundry, cleaning, vacuuming. He can get away with his household responsibilities on a weekend afternoon, whereas her responsibilities are everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I don't know many housewives who do all those things you've listed, so I'm not so sure the stay-at-home deal is all inclusive. I don't think I'd know what to think or feel if a woman had my breakfast made for me in the morning and dinner on the table when I got home...I'd have to pinch myself to see if I wasn't dreaming. I'd have to look around and make sure I didn't walk into the wrong house.
My mother always had my fathers breakfast cooked and lunch made and supper when he got home. Even when the kids were grown and mom went to work, before dad, she would put bread in the toaster and set out 2 eggs and sausage so he could cook his own breakfast. How pitiful is that. My father could cook (he did the holiday baking) and like to garden, but I dont think he even knew where the washer and dryer, vaccuum, mop or dishes were kept.

Hey, I did all that stuff, except the breakfast on weekdays, and worked 40 hrs./week.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,271 times
I decided to leave work a little early today. I walked into a clean, freshly-vacuumed house, clean kitchen, a scrubbed bathtub, and a lod of laundry in the wash. Plus I've got the place to myself for a few because he is out grocery shopping. Yeah, househusbands can be cool.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I decided to leave work a little early today. I walked into a clean, freshly-vacuumed house, clean kitchen, a scrubbed bathtub, and a lod of laundry in the wash. Plus I've got the place to myself for a few because he is out grocery shopping. Yeah, househusbands can be cool.
He's preparing for the city-data relationship forum party tonight.

Toga! Toga! Toga!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
No man in my family has ever done anything above and beyond cutting the grass and setting mousetraps. Everything else on that list is left to professionals.

Even so, I was just having a conversation with a friend about her division of labor. She was saying that yeah, her husband does his part around the house, but the things that he does--painting, grass cutting, fixing things that are broken, aren't the kind of jobs that are as consistant as what she does around the house--cooking, laundry, cleaning, vacuuming. He can get away with his household responsibilities on a weekend afternoon, whereas her responsibilities are everyday.
Ok. My point was that even when the man has a 9-5 and the woman stays at home, the man is still expected to do a good portion of the housework...say 1/3.

That was in response to the post about women complaining about how difficult their share of the housework was, let alone the man still has 1/3 of the housework + the career. Yet they were calling men who did 100% of the housework but no career lazy bums.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
He's preparing for the city-data relationship forum party tonight.

Toga! Toga! Toga!

So should I make him serve dinner or just have him pick up a keg?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post

So should I make him serve dinner or just have him pick up a keg?
Both. Gotta have food at a Toga party.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 PM

371 posts, read 894,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Conversely, how come men feel that a man doing housework is demeaning, but it isn't demeaning when a woman does it?
Because some men are anachronistic idiots.

Hm,maybe that's a bit harsh. I think some guys were just brought up thinking of housework as "woman's work" and since they're men,they consider it to be beneath them.

On second thought...I think I was right the first time. Anachronistic idiots. *nods*

Old 11-06-2009, 02:55 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
Do women like it when the man their currently in a relationship with admits he wants to be a househusband some day?

Do women look down on men that don't want to have a career?

Would a woman leave a man because he wants to stay at home and take care of the house responsibilities instead of having a 'real' job?
I don't look down on a man who wants to be a househusband ONLY if his woman is a career-driven, money-making breadwinner in the family, because BOTH people cannot possibly be housespouses, unless they have inherited millions of dollars.

Would I want that for myself, though? I don't know really. I think I wouldn't mind for my husband to stay home but still have some kind of home-based business. At some point, just recently, I was a brief housewife myself, but I found myself a part-time work, because even as a woman, I didn't feel comfortable relying fully on my husband's income. I'm not sure how a man would handle that.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I hate to be sexist, but I agree with sms0511. While in a perfect world it should be okay, but it isn't. I was raised with the idea that the man is the protector and provider for the family. If I need to work to help out that's fine but as much as I think men can be excellent fathers and take care of the children every bit as well as a woman can, I just couldn't respect a man who sat on his butt and let me take care of him. If I were super rich or won the lottery and got millions it'd be a little different; it would be hard for a man to compete with that kind of money but a regular job?

As much as I'd like to be politically correct and say in the interest of equality, it's okay, I have to be honest and say I'd have a problem with it.

My husband sits home all day and has no motivation. Lack of ambition runs in his family.. It pisses me off but I am not going to boss a 30 yr old man around. I am at the end of my rope though.

I think PEOPLE need to have goals no matter what their circumstances are. If my husband won the lottery I'd still work and have my personal goals. I thinkI came into this world to do great things and I REFUSE to be in someone else's shadow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships