Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:00 PM

292 posts, read 993,605 times

Advertisements

I think the knowledge for most men and women is different. Example: I was at a coffee house having a conversation with a woman. A small child walked by. The woman I was with said to the child in cooing kind of motherly voice "There's your mommy." and pointed back to the direction the child had just come from. The child looked at her, the woman repeated the phrase "There's your mommy." and pointed back behing the child. The child then turned around and walked back to "Mommy." In an instant this woman analyzed what was going on and came up with a solution. What I saw was a little child walking by.

A couple of months before that I hung a TV/CD player in her kiitchen. She had no idea how to that. A few months before that I fixed a table for her. She told me for several years he had wanted it fixed but had know idea how to it. It took me about 10 seconds to fix the table.

I've come to the conclusion that men and women think differently and therefore have different types of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 11:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Cool ah haha...yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
sunny, a wise man,,,realizes,,he can never win an arguement with a woman,,,however,,its when in an emotional arguement that a woman,,,is very smart,,,she can recall,,,every single word, her man has uttered for 6 months,,,ive always been amazed at this,
mainebroker- yep- I have told my h. that. I have an EXCELLENT memory. Can remember verbal arguments I had in kindergarten... (bad for him-good for me )

sunny

Old 05-12-2007, 11:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
My first impression was that he lacks self confidence and has to build himself up by putting you down.

As for smarts in general I married a whiz kid (99th percentile) and I am glad I did! Jeopardy is an experience around here! I get more bible answers right and it drives her nuts (I've never read the bible). She blows me out of the water in English history and archeology, I edge her out in computer stuff. I turned her into a geek or I'd have more of an edge.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:46 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,547 times
The one thing, I believe, at play here is, most men have a large, easily bruised ego. And counter attack is how most have been raised to respond.
It is in my opinion the biggest difference between the sexes. Your comment went to the core of his ego, and he naturally counter punched. Given a couple of days men would not even recall the incident, most women will never forget it. Just my 2 cents worth from a man's perspective. I always end my arguements with "yes dear" the path of least resistence.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
"We are all ignorant -- just on different subjects." Will Rogers.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Personally, I think that having a head full of useless information might make someone a good Jeopardy player, but does not make them smart.
Amen Evey
I like to call them "educated idiots"
they know what they know and that's all they know

They usually don't have any common sense either
It's good to know stuff that is useless
but it's better to know stuff for survival

Old 09-14-2007, 11:24 AM

146 posts, read 738,718 times
His comment was that HE knew more than YOU (purely his opinion)
Your comment (Nobody knows everything) is a fact.

BIG difference, and totally insulting to you.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
My hubby is smarter than me. Much. Doesn't use it-but he really is. Everyone close to us knows it.

So anyone, one night at dinner he was talking about something that I did not quite know the answer. He knows a lot of useless information So, because I really didn't know anything about the topic, I said "honey, you don't know EVERYTHING." Then I added "no one does", to take it off of him.

He looks at me with this...knowing look on his face, and then says..."I know A LOT more than you", with this SMUG smile on his face.

Yes, I know I am a girl, and girls are more sensitive...but I felt so insulted I couldn't even look at him. Talk to him. Probably because he was right...but I felt like he was comparing himself to me, and he was coming out on top.

SO later that day and the next day he could tell I was really...miserable/angry/depressed. He didn't understand why, and he isn't one to make things better...he was saying how what we both said were the same thing and if he wasn't mad I shouldn't be.

I was though, and I know it's better and we're fine now...but I still don't think that what I said was along the same lines. No one knows everything, so I didn't understand how my comment could have been insulting, but I felt compared, and lost.

My co-worked said that perhaps it's a guy thing-they think they know everything so if you say they don't, you insulted them.

So, what do you think? Were our comments along the same lines, or was his more insulting?
Personally, it isn't a guy thing...and you should know, that your not less intelligent b/c you are a woman...YOu ARE A WOMAN be proud of it and who you are....

He is using you to make himself feel more superior....and by the way you told him, to me, sounds as if he were an understanding man, he would have been embarrassed by the comment that he made. He wasn't in the least, and then proceeds to tell you how you should feel??????? We never feel the same way others feel...no one can tell us how we should feel about something, unless we are being ridiculous about an issue....you were not....and you were right to feel and react as you did....and in my book, he is not very smart...b/c someone who was smart, could not hurt another like that. What do you

I think, he's pretty lucky to have you....what do you think?

Hugs
Creme

Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
mrsho,,,a good response would have been "because you're so smart, then you must also know you wont be getting any sex for a year, after a childish comment like that "

LOL Great response......!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
sunny, a wise man,,,realizes,,he can never win an arguement with a woman,,,however,,its when in an emotional arguement that a woman,,,is very smart,,,she can recall,,,every single word, her man has uttered for 6 months,,,ive always been amazed at this,

I can't....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships