Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:22 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times

Advertisements

I am biased towards online dating because I don't think anything compares meeting someone in real life but I decided to try Plentyoffish.Com and although the site is well designed, I don't understand the mindset of the typical user. Are most of the women on these sites people that have really poor social skills and need to hide "behind" a computer because they are so scared of revealing their true selves? At least that is the impression that I get. Also, I noticed that some of these women must look at your profile and if they find one little thing that they may not like, they automatically don't want anything to do with you. I am sure there may be some "normal" people on these websites but I don't think this crap is for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,630 times
Pretty much, but there are some good people. The problem with online dating is that everyone has a catalog of people in front of them. I find once women find one thing they don't like about a person they go back to flipping through the pages for someone new, not realizing there is no match out there that will be 100% perfect.

People can also lie and hide things in real life too. Whether its real life or online it's all a matter of how good you are at wading through the crap. It's always easier to meet people in person, but with online dating you can talk to someone for a few minutes while watching football on a Monday night

Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,922,877 times
i don't think it's stupid.

i looked into it a few years back, and signed up for a site, because i was working long hours, and found that after my marriage broke down, i didn't see my "friends" for dust, so getting out to meet folks was awkward.

i quickly realised it wasn't for me tho.
i can't work like that, i like to get to know folks first, rather than being thrown straight in.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times
Thanks for your reply. I am a very goofy person and it is hard for me to take a dating site that seriously, however it seems like many of the women who are attracted to these dating sites think that one day they are going to find the prince charming online all from the convenience of their chair, no work required. The whole concept is just incredibly stupid but I am sure it works for some people.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:49 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,033,797 times
Wile i myself prefer to get out there and meet women face to face, i think the online dating concept has it's time and place..I mean people hook up through sites like myspace or facebook..And id even bet that there are at least a couple examples of people meeting through this site..

Some people just feel more comfortable online..and thats ok for them...

My thing is you can't really interact with a computer screen..I like to see how she acts..how she flirts and so on..and to me putting myself out there isn't work, it is what is necessary if you really want to meet people..Thats just my 2 or 3 senses worth..

Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 PM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am a very goofy person and it is hard for me to take a dating site that seriously, however it seems like many of the women who are attracted to these dating sites think that one day they are going to find the prince charming online all from the convenience of their chair, no work required. The whole concept is just incredibly stupid but I am sure it works for some people.
It is you that has the misconception.

Why do you think anyone expect such things "from the convenience of their chair"? You sound like someone that has very little experience with such a site.

For the record, I started using match.com around 4.5 years ago. Of all the men I have dated in that time, I would say that 95% of them came from match.com, or POF (I started using that one earlier this year.) 5 relationships in that time. 2 were just a few months, 2 were "long term", and my current SO, who actually might be my last.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,246 times
I don't know! If you look at TVGuy's dating past with online dating, he hasn't had one date all year!!! Not a very good track record for online dating! lol!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
You still have to do the work with online dating.

Why is it that people think online dating limits your ability to meet, interview and check for compatibility and chemistry? You are not interacting with a computer screen. You are interacting with a person; a computer screen cannot socialize and express itself. It is simply another way to connect. It is not where people go to die a social death. And online dating doesn't mean you actually date online.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 PM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
I don't know! If you look at TVGuy's dating past with online dating, he hasn't had one date all year!!! Not a very good track record for online dating! lol!
I'd never use him as an example of someone that uses the sites properly. Hell he can't meet anyone no matter WHAT the venue. His problems go way beyond dating sites.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'd never use him as an example of someone that uses the sites properly. Hell he can't meet anyone no matter WHAT the venue. His problems go way beyond dating sites.

LOL! Oh I know! Just thought I would put him in the mix while I had the chance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships