Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,498,975 times

Advertisements

I have ignored my instincts and better judgment most of my life. Thinking back, just about every person I felt poorly about turned out to be a huge disappointment or worse. I've been learning, over the last few years, to pay attention to these feelings while trying to maintain a balanced approach and view.

I was away this weekend with the guy I am dating. We met up with some of his friends and co-workers. One in particular, a woman I have met a few times before, was also there. I really have no reason to dislike her; she has done nothing to me. But there is something nagging at me about her that I pick up on every time I see her. There's a certain disingenuous, sneakiness about her; it's dark. I've felt this way from the moment I met her. I don't treat her any differently and, until she does something to offend me, it will stay that way.

Can anyone relate? I'm not talking about catty, estrogenic pettiness or paranoia. Just really bad vibes. Do you believe in them? Do you pay attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,236,602 times
A lot of times a 'bad vibe' is caused because the person reminds you of someone else. Or perhaps the way in which you met them is similar to the way in which you met another person who you have a bad memory of.

The human mind is really good at recognizing patterns, even when there isn't one there.

You brain processes millions of bits of information per second and compares this information to your memory to make sense of the world. If there is anything about a person or situation that is familiar those feelings will be brought up.

Think of the world as a big one of these.

Alone, it has no meaning. It is YOU that puts the meaning to it.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,103,262 times
Get the book "The Gift of Fear" By Gavin De Becker it talks about this very thing and there was another thread on this very subject not too long ago.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...86053-why.html

Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,633,530 times
Yes, I can relate. I used to ignore it, but that proved to be an unwise course of action. I've learned that my gut instincts are usually correct, so I take note of it and proceed with that info in the back of my mind.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 AM

20,058 posts, read 18,229,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I have ignored my instincts and better judgment most of my life. Thinking back, just about every person I felt poorly about turned out to be a huge disappointment or worse. I've been learning, over the last few years, to pay attention to these feelings while trying to maintain a balanced approach and view.

I was away this weekend with the guy I am dating. We met up with some of his friends and co-workers. One in particular, a woman I have met a few times before, was also there. I really have no reason to dislike her; she has done nothing to me. But there is something nagging at me about her that I pick up on every time I see her. There's a certain disingenuous, sneakiness about her; it's dark. I've felt this way from the moment I met her. I don't treat her any differently and, until she does something to offend me, it will stay that way.

Can anyone relate? I'm not talking about catty, estrogenic pettiness or paranoia. Just really bad vibes. Do you believe in them? Do you pay attention?
I've learned the hard way, through many situations in the past, to trust that "lightbulb" when it suddenly comes on. It has yet to be wrong!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:12 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,365,699 times
perhaps a lack of confidence is key.

slights should be like water off a duck's back.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 AM

314 posts, read 717,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Yes, I can relate. I used to ignore it, but that proved to be an unwise course of action. I've learned that my gut instincts are usually correct, so I take note of it and proceed with that info in the back of my mind.
DOUBLE DITTO almost every time I ignored my gut it was proven correct. Women especially can be taken advantage of because we are taught to be "nice" when everything in us is screaming to "run away". I can always apologize if I am standoffish and wrong but sometimes the cost of being nice has been WAY too high!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:29 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,037,481 times
My gut instincts about the new hires at work always has been right. And if I get bad vibes from a new acquaintance, I will be cautious around them and avoid them if need be. There are plenty of other people out there that don't give me bad vibes. No biggie for me, and honestly it doesn't and hasn't hurt those that I've decided not to associate with. Some of this is just avoiding future trouble and dramas, and other times it's just not really clicking with those people as in a personality clash thing.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

i think a lot of people get them. it's just instinct. which i find is generally correct.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,445,777 times
i do get those feelings, and i am usually right. i just try to stay away from them to be honest. usually these people feel that i am ignoring them and they in turn become bains of my existence. but i just cant help it! i dont want these people around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships