Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:35 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times

Advertisements

Bear with me, I have a long commute to work so I get to think about things that might not come out the way I intend when I put it to print, BUT:

I was thinking about how our societal culture has, for the longest time, been one where sexually it seems men are almost always on offense and women are almost always playing defense.

I mean in a rudimentary sort of way, men are constantly trying to "get in" while women are trying to "keep men out" in a sexual sense.

I find it an interesting phenomenon really and wonder how much of it has to do with basic instincts, how much has to do with our culture and how we are/were raised, and how much it has to do with the simple fact that women HAD to play defense because of the lack of effective birth control.

So now that birth control isn't so much an issue I wonder why things seem so slow to change? Or are we simply not the generation that's going to see that cultural change because we aren't yet far enough separated from women's lib and the sexual revolution and all?

One of the things that made me think of this was that, having a son and a daughter, how I will most DEFINATELY treat them differently with regard to their relationships as they grow up. But why is that? Why does it not only seem natural, but almost proper to defend my daughter and cheer on my son at the same time?

Think of the Mary Kay Letourrneau case... The outrage wasn't NEAR the fever pitch it would have been if it were a male teacher having sex with a 13-year old female student. In fact I'm quite sure the boy was congratulated by his classmates that knew about it. I know that's how it would be if it came out that a boy in one of my high school classes had a sexual relationship with one of the hottest teachers and such....

So I know that the law sees it all the same and Letourneau was punished. But why does society see it SO much differently? How far must we go before we see it all the same or will we ever?

Sorry to ramble... Just thinkin' out loud...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:39 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
But why does society see it SO much differently? How far must we go before we see it all the same or will we ever?
You and I may not see a total societal acceptance of females as sexual aggressors and equal participants, but it is actually happening. You can see it in the media, news reports and if you spend any time around young women. Acceptance is always lagging behind reality.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You and I may not see a total societal acceptance of females as sexual aggressors and equal participants, but it is actually happening. You can see it in the media, news reports and if you spend any time around young women. Acceptance is always lagging behind reality.
So if I'm reading into this correctly, I'm going to see my daughter kissing some guy, go to pummel him, only to have the poor boy stammering, "W,w,w,w, wait..... She kissed ME man!!!".

(Lord help me..... I have a few years I hope before I really have to start worrying but.... )

Old 11-17-2009, 02:57 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
It wouldnt surprise me. Girls are already doing this. I dont belive the guys are responding as such, but think about it. People want what they cant have or what is hard to get. Flood the market and they dont want it so much.

I feel for you.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:01 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
So if I'm reading into this correctly, I'm going to see my daughter kissing some guy, go to pummel him, only to have the poor boy stammering, "W,w,w,w, wait..... She kissed ME man!!!".

(Lord help me..... I have a few years I hope before I really have to start worrying but.... )
Why would you pummel a guy for kissing your daughter, if it was consensual?

By doing that you'd be furthering the stereotype that women are delicate flowers who need to be protected, rather than people who can make their own choices.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-17-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I think women should be on the defense. We are the ones who have to deal with the majority of the consequences when casual sex turns into -oops - 18 years of kid fun. Someone has to be smart about it.

I don't care if it does become the norm for women to be on the offense - you won't see me on that team.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,587 times
I think it's a lot simpler than that.

Men love to chase. Women love to be chased.

When a man makes a "catch", he feels pride. When a woman is "caught", she feels wanted, so to speak.

I don't think that aspect of things will ever change.

But... now you have men dressed as women, and women dressed as men, and people who dress both ways..

Old 11-18-2009, 12:03 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I was thinking about how our societal culture has, for the longest time, been one where sexually it seems men are almost always on offense and women are almost always playing defense.

I mean in a rudimentary sort of way, men are constantly trying to "get in" while women are trying to "keep men out" in a sexual sense.

So now that birth control isn't so much an issue I wonder why things seem so slow to change?
You don't go out in the world much do you?

Go 'clubbin'' on Saturday night.

You'll find many aggressive women. As a fairly average guy I've never had a shortage of women approaching me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
But... now you have men dressed as women, and women dressed as men, and people who dress both ways..
It's not just 'now'.

And who cares?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,578 times
In order for societies to evolve , humanity as a whole must mentally evolve.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
unfortunately guy no matter what she does, its all about him, forewarned is forearmed. this coin does not have 2 sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships