U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:33 PM

15,128 posts, read 23,951,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I've considered and plotted moving very seriously (to Florida) since November 2004. Unfortunately, my parents are extremely over protective of me and would become psychopaths if I moved now. Also, my parents own a cat and she'd miss me to death, too. also, no, venus flytraps do not need greenhouse like humidity. I grow them outside in my backyard where they munch plenty on the bugs in my yard.
How old are you?

* Okay wait a minute here - I just went back and re-read some of your original posts. You are 26 years old? So, why would your parents becoem over-protective psychopaths if you moved? You're an adult, right? So, just move already if that's what is going to make you happy and that is what you want to do! Your parents have no say over what you do at this point in your life, so make that move and be happy!!!

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 06-08-2007 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Looked up original post and got new info, so I'm revising my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Maybe you mixed me up with TwinkleToes :P
Huh???

Old 06-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorst View Post
Fixed it for you. G'night!
Double Huh???

Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM

292 posts, read 643,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Double Huh???
Twinkle Toes,
Go back and and look at the quote by Smerkygrl in my post. It's different than what she originally posted.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:05 PM

292 posts, read 643,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I've considered and plotted moving very seriously (to Florida) since November 2004. Unfortunately, my parents are extremely over protective of me and would become psychopaths if I moved now. Also, my parents own a cat and she'd miss me to death, too.
I think you are living in fear. 2.5years of plotting is not enough? All I'm reading is excuses from you. Triton1 you have to make your own way. Do you have any marketable skills? You know, so you can get a job in Florida?

Old 06-09-2007, 09:51 PM

326 posts, read 5,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorst View Post
I think you are living in fear. 2.5years of plotting is not enough? All I'm reading is excuses from you. Triton1 you have to make your own way. Do you have any marketable skills? You know, so you can get a job in Florida?
I am slightly autistic and can not work full time, therefore, i receive social security. also, that means that I will be going through a center for independent living, as well as, most likely, the agency for persons with disabilities in the state of florida if and when i can move down there.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:12 AM

14,874 posts, read 21,839,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
NAH! Is that you?
I was thinking the same darn thing. LOL!!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:10 PM

12 posts, read 38,582 times
Greetings,

This is my first post to the forum. I am also slightly autistic. Asperger's Syndrome, to be exact. Triton, I know how you feel and what your going through. At times I've felt like the misfit in society as well. (And sometimes, still do). I have had only one steady GF in my 27 years on this planet and that ended after a few months of courtship. And, that set-up was arranged by a family member. It was a blind date. Other that that, I have had little or no date experience with the opposite sex. I've pursued women but in the past they only wanted friendship, so I had to leave it at that. So, I know it can be hard to meet women. The best remedy for myself is finding stuff I enjoy doing. I don't care too much about the social aspect of life anymore. I can't let that bother me or I get too depressed. I have my hobbies and lots of family and a small circle of aquaintences to keep me happy and occupied. Interested is interesting. In my experience, people respect you for yourself as long as you at least try- and try not to focus on the negative so much and develop external interests. I am fortunate to have a loving family where I come from and my brother to help me socialize with his friends. They seem to respect me for who I am and the fact that I at least try to place myself 'out there.' Become interested in what people have to say, rather than what they might think of you. I know alot of times, it's easier said than done, tho. That's how I learned the hard way. I'm pretty sure everyone, or most everyone has some type of hang-ups.

I am reminded of a quote I once heard, not from somebody famous, but a guy I had the pleasure of working with once:

"Even the most beautiful people in the world have insecurities."

I say this after years of therapy and hard life lessons. But, I know how you feel and I've been there. I sometimes think girls laugh at me and guys ignore me. Do they? I can't really say for sure. Focus on what you have to offer people. What do you have to contribute at a party or a social setting? Do you have any local support groups in your town that share your like or hobbies with women you could meet in them? In any way, I wish you best of luck in your situation.

Last edited by greatgarrett2; 07-28-2007 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 PM

206 posts, read 487,922 times
Best advice that I can give you is to relax and put the whole dating issue on the back burner for awhile. Get out and start living life, even if you have to begin with "baby steps". Rent a MST3000 or Red Dwarf DVD and have some laughs. Pursue your hobbies and get to know people who enjoy similar activities. Volunteer in your community and help other people. Anything that gets you "out of your own head" is good. You might also try some form of physical exercise. It'll help you calm down and get into shape at the same time. If you don't do something to relax, you might end up like this:

As far as your interpersonal skills go, try this:

Pick out women that you have absolutely no attraction to and practice making casual conversation with them. Talk about anything: the weather, the price of gas, etc. The more you practice talking to women, the more comfortable you'll feel interacting with them in general. The more comfortable you feel around them, the more comfortable they'll feel around you. Just try to avoid any "creepy stalker" overtones and you'll do fine.

That's about it. Just relax, start enjoying life, and work on improving your interpersonal skills.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:07 PM

326 posts, read 5,491 times
the girl situation is even worse in dupage county, which is where i go to school, only reason being that College of DuPage has great field and experiental learning classes that go all over the world, including Florida. Unlike Florida, where the vast majority of attractive women are friendly and are big huggers, there are practically only about enough local friendly babes in DuPage County to fill a STATION WAGON!!! Like, literally, out of the 950,000 residents that live in DuPage County, there are fewer than 10 friendly young women in that county! I do enjoy the field and experiental learning trips, especially the Florida ones, but i DO NOT enjoy the regular academic classes anymore. (apparently, I live out of district, therefore I have to take regular academic classes in addition to field studies to get chargebacks and not pay full tuition, which is insanely expensive.) Generally, my classmates ignore me, or they threaten to call security; even staff have given me police threats before, even for stuff as minor as asking for a few phone numbers! I have even tried the cafeteria before to meet people, but not only am i shunned there, but even when crowded, that cafeteria is as quiet as a study hall! I pretty much only have lots of fun on the field studies classes because there is quite a lot of freetime where I can just take off and mingle with the locals, and I do not have to continually stick with the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships