Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:19 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,290 times

Advertisements

Interested to read your thoughts.

OK, I wrote here several months ago about losing our custody case.

We now have very minimal contact with the kids and we were not believed by the judge at all.

Since then we have naturally been totally devastated and been reaching out to anyone and everyone for help.

To say we are vulnerable is an understatement.

Well 2 individuals have come forward to 'help' us.

The first is a 'bush' lawyer (not sure if you've heard the term) but won his own custody case several years ago and took an interest in helping us -- or so it seemed.

Then he tried to have sex with me - to begin an affair... so I told my husband and we naturally stopped seeing him. (Yes we were shocked)

Now yesterday we found a friend of a friend (who says he is a solicitor) who has looked at our case and has agreed to work 'pro bono'

Bear in mind we only MET HIM YESTERDAY.

Today he rings my husband and asks him to hire a car for him to file documents for his fiancee... my husband said 'no' because we don't know this guy and well, frankly, what if he steals the rental car?

But because he has been really kind and taken an interest in us we both drove down to him (an hour) and left my car with him to borrow supposedly overnight... I don't need the car until Friday though and to be honest although it runs ok it has a cracked head gasket and will not run for too much longer anyway,maybe weeks, maybe months (mechanic advice)

Ok so this new guy knows us for ONE DAY and is already asking for pretty big favours that is ringing alarm bells for me.

I am glad to get it all out - to clarify this. But I think tomorrow morning I will be telling my husband that we are going to cut ties with this man.

We have another case coming up in court on the 9th of December that we are scared about but I think something is wrong with this guy.

I think he is a psychopath grooming us and getting ready to take advantage.

What do you guys think?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,028 times
Honestly, I feel like there is a lot of information missing and I can't possibly even respond with any kind of help without it so having what I've read here, I think whatever custody case you are going through, you need to hire someone and not let people just "offering" their services anywhere near you since it would seem they are attempting to take advantage of you.
Wishin' I had more information though....

Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,584,911 times
If it feels fishy it is probably fishy. The best you can do for you is keep a level head and do not let emotions get in the way of achieving your goal.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:37 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Honestly, I feel like there is a lot of information missing and I can't possibly even respond with any kind of help without it so having what I've read here, I think whatever custody case you are going through, you need to hire someone and not let people just "offering" their services anywhere near you since it would seem they are attempting to take advantage of you.
Wishin' I had more information though....
Well the case is finished (the other party wants cost though that's Dec 9th) and frankly we're out of money.

We wanted to appeal the decision but just couldn't afford it - and there was no guarantee of winning.

I'm happy to answer any questions - if you have any insights into predatory relationships...

I just can't believe the further abuse we've managed to suffer...

Old 11-27-2009, 09:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Without knowing any of the details except what you've given in this thread and regardless of the circumstances, my gut reaction is a very strong RUN from this chap. His whole story sounds totally bogus and you don't even know whether or not he really is a solicitor! His conduct certainly doesn't sound in the least on the up and up.

You can always check on his alleged professional credentials but, even given the stress you're obviously experiencing, why on earth you would loan your car to a virtual stranger (and drive for an hour to give it to him because he has been "kind" for 24 hours) is incomprehensible.

Get the car back NOW and distance yourself from him. Cheers and good luck!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:48 AM

40,949 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Go with your gut feel. If it sounds like a scam, it probably is.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
You are posting online so you obviously have the resources to look up these lawyers on Martindale Hubble or to find a reputable one. Lawyers Find A Lawyer, Law Firm, Attorney & Legal Services: martindale

There are state bar associations by which to register complaints about lawyers who behave in an unethical manner.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,546,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are posting online so you obviously have the resources to look up these lawyers on Martindale Hubble or to find a reputable one. Lawyers Find A Lawyer, Law Firm, Attorney & Legal Services: martindale

There are state bar associations by which to register complaints about lawyers who behave in an unethical manner.
She's in Australia

Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
An attorney working pro bono, out of the blue, friend of a friend,
needs your car as a favor.

No friend would send a character like this. They may not be psychopaths
but there certainly opportunists. I never stop being amazed a what lengths,
lies and deception some will go to to meet their needs.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Bear in mind we only MET HIM YESTERDAY. . . and left my car with him to borrow. What do you guys think?
You do not want to know what I really think. You know that you're vulnerable but yet you still pull down your pants and bend right on over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.