Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 AM

190 posts, read 490,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
It was some years back, but I’ve brought it with me through everything.

I remember it so well because I was completely alone; nothing but the sun, the surf, and that exquisite silence within me.

I just sat there in silence while the world around me moved on. I could hear the tide as it rushed in to kiss the strand, and the chaotic squawking of the gulls... I felt the cool sea air brush against my skin before rushing on… I could taste the bitter tang of the salty air.

I sat there for hours, watching as wave upon wave was tossed upon the sea, and as the lazy sun slowly sank beneath the sky. I remember the great vastness of the open sky above, the star dappled night as it spread across the horizon and blended with the sea.

In all my life, I have never since sensed such perfection. It was a moment in time that can never be replicated, never duplicated, and still, I long for such perfection.

In truth, I’m exhausted. I take on so much that sometimes I can barely find a space to breathe in – but still, I keep moving forward, searching for that better life. I am proud of what I’ve accomplished, and know that better things are in store for me – as I know that better things are in store for all of us.

Someone once asked me what my definition of love was. I told them that it was like my “perfect day”, that there was no way to describe it; no words to really capture its entirety.

And still, we all search for love. We all search for that higher meaning that defines our existence.. and yet again, when we find this love, we focus so much more on the things that don’t matter instead of those things that do. I don’t believe that love is never defined by its entirety, but rather, I believe that it’s defined by those simple moments..

So my question is this: Have you ever had a moment in time where everything was so complete, so awe-inspiring, that it remains with you no matter where you go or where you are?
I think you're referring to a defining moment. Yes, but I want to point out an experience involving conscientization, or a defining moment involving a collection of people. I was in a classroon--an intimate group setting which included about 12 people gathered in a circle. We were discussing the topic of empathy. The ability to see things from someone else's persepective. The light bulb came on for all of us during that discussion. We learned that being attuned to someone else's feelings, validating them, and giving supportive direction to their desires can be incredibly therapuetic and empowering. The use of empathy is a form of love that satifies when nothing else can. The bible has suggested that our successful voyages through hardships can serve to comfort others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:36 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,638,935 times
My 3 year old grandaughter woke up from her nap and didn't know that I was there.
She came down the stairs from her bedroom, looked up and saw me there.
Her face first showed surprise, then went to the most beautiful expression I have ever seen in my whole life. She didn't really smile but complete love came over her face and then she ran to me with her arms out. I will never forget the look on her face.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 PM

2,316 posts, read 2,544,364 times
I have been fortunate to have had a couple of "little parenthesis in eternity" ... They are so private I can't even share, but they have made life worth living for me and I treasure them and revisit them in my mind whenever I can.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:20 PM

273 posts, read 682,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
My 3 year old grandaughter woke up from her nap and didn't know that I was there.
Her face first showed surprise, then went to the most beautiful expression I have ever seen in my whole life. She didn't really smile but complete love came over her face and then she ran to me with her arms out. I will never forget the look on her face.
Awww.....

Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,406,361 times
So many amazing posts here - thank you all for sharing!

Ya know, I spent half my life on the beach, and everytime I think back to those days it always brings about a peculiar peace, even in the most stressful of times. It's been nearly six years since I've been, and every day I long to go back.. One day, I'll return, I just have too much work to do here before then.

I really liked Ablees8951's story; that reminds me a lot of myself. I remember the dolphins - always just before dawn, when the sky is just starting to turn from ink to crimson, one could always see the dolphins as they came close to shore.. It's almost magical. There was once, and it only happened to me once, when the sea was alive and glowing.

From what I understand, the "glowing" sand and water is due to a type of dinoflagellate; basically a type of microscopic sea plankton. It's an amazing thing, and I hope one day to experience this again.

And seeniorita, I agree completely with you - it's one of those magical things that captivate us and reach deep within our souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDriven View Post
I feel like everything is perfect everytime it's a beautiful day, and I go to the local boat dock, and sit alone out on the end of dock with nothing but water surrounding me.. I love just thinking about life there, and wondering what is next.. It's really an errie feeling for me whenever I go to the boat dock alone, and have the water surrounding at night.. It's go great I'd love to make love there..
Another great story.. just remember to bring a blanket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Posted this in Words and Phrases you love, post it again just for you Urban

This is a precious moment, but it is transient.
It is a little parenthesis in eternity.

Deepak Chopra
Beautiful quote! I copied this down and am going to hang it on the wall in my office! Thanks for sharing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Out of all the stories shared here, I think this one hit me the most..

For a long time now, I've wanted children, but so far it just hasn't happened. I can only imagine that moment, and all of the other amazing moments like that..

Thanks...

Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,018,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
It was some years back, but I’ve brought it with me through everything.

I remember it so well because I was completely alone; nothing but the sun, the surf, and that exquisite silence within me.

I just sat there in silence while the world around me moved on. I could hear the tide as it rushed in to kiss the strand, and the chaotic squawking of the gulls... I felt the cool sea air brush against my skin before rushing on… I could taste the bitter tang of the salty air.

I sat there for hours, watching as wave upon wave was tossed upon the sea, and as the lazy sun slowly sank beneath the sky. I remember the great vastness of the open sky above, the star dappled night as it spread across the horizon and blended with the sea.

In all my life, I have never since sensed such perfection. It was a moment in time that can never be replicated, never duplicated, and still, I long for such perfection.

In truth, I’m exhausted. I take on so much that sometimes I can barely find a space to breathe in – but still, I keep moving forward, searching for that better life. I am proud of what I’ve accomplished, and know that better things are in store for me – as I know that better things are in store for all of us.

Someone once asked me what my definition of love was. I told them that it was like my “perfect day”, that there was no way to describe it; no words to really capture its entirety.

And still, we all search for love. We all search for that higher meaning that defines our existence.. and yet again, when we find this love, we focus so much more on the things that don’t matter instead of those things that do. I don’t believe that love is never defined by its entirety, but rather, I believe that it’s defined by those simple moments..

So my question is this: Have you ever had a moment in time where everything was so complete, so awe-inspiring, that it remains with you no matter where you go or where you are?
Yea, my situation was a lot like yours. I was at Newport beach sitting in the sand on a sunny day and I brought a few books to read. I can't remember the exact book I was reading but it was about ancient history, and as I started to read the book, the author took you back in time with his words and at that moment my mind started to imagine what the beach I was sitting on looked like 10,000,00 years ago. So at the moment, all the yachts disappeared, all the cars were gone, all the million dollar beach front property were gone... ect ect... At that point, it was just me, the waves, and my book... Uaaa, there is something magical about water and the ocean!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships