Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,312,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Boys
I agree with you to an extent. However, my responses were based on men, not children. As a mother, child abuse is an area too emotional to discuss on a public forum and I am not going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,967,309 times
BlackJack, the problem with the arguement that wives should be submissive because it works in other cultures is this:

(A headline from Reuters just this month) Nov 17 - Afghan wives choose to burn themselves to death to escape a life of domestic torture and abuse.

Talk about breaking up a family, right? You have to take into account the failings of that "system" in other cultures. You can't just say it works in other cultures so it will work here. Watch the world news any given night and you will understand why it's not a good idea for men to think they have all the power.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,566,456 times
There's nothing wrong with a woman who sometimes takes control in the bedroom. I submit to you that a man who feels somehow diminished by this isn't that strong of a man to begin with.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,704,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
BlackJack, the problem with the arguement that wives should be submissive because it works in other cultures is this:

(A headline from Reuters just this month) Nov 17 - Afghan wives choose to burn themselves to death to escape a life of domestic torture and abuse.

Talk about breaking up a family, right? You have to take into account the failings of that "system" in other cultures. You can't just say it works in other cultures so it will work here. Watch the world news any given night and you will understand why it's not a good idea for men to think they have all the power.
You are naming extreme societies.

Since feminism(rockefeller's plan), the family unit has deteriotated.

Well the system sure is not working now, the women abuse the men and control the men.

In a balanced society, gender roles do work.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:23 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,967,309 times
Quote:
You are naming extreme societies.

Since feminism(rockefeller's plan), the family unit has deteriotated.

Well the system sure is not working now, the women abuse the men and control the men.

In a balanced society, gender roles do work.
I had a neighbor down the street growing up with a father who was dominant. All the kids got whipped if one kid did something wrong. The mom was told she was being a bad wife because she worked instead of having every meal on the table at the right time when her loving husband came home. She quit her job so she didn't get "in trouble" for not completing her wifely duties as prescribed. Do you know how common this scenario is in your own backyard??

Old 11-29-2009, 01:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,733,224 times
Quote:
A man leading a household has nothing to do with discrimination. As long as he is fair and loving.

Actually no, there have been defined male and female roles outside of western society for thousands of years in very functional societies.

Women have been taught in western society that they are supposed to buck up to a man, not listen to him, prove that she is his equal by trying to take charge and such. Such behavior divides families, start arguments and has broken up the family unit since the 1960s.

Men are not left off the hook, men are supposed to love their women and their women are supposed to respect them and listen to them.
And there are a number of societies which functioned as matriarchal and/or egalitarian as well....fewer wars, with rape and/or violence against women virtually unheard of. Western society is relatively young within the concept of the city-state. The misogyny of Western society began with the Greeks and has continued to this day, promoted and condoned by a society which, for some unknown reason, looks to a Hebrew thunder god myth for the moral criteria by which they live their lives.

Yet, what else would we expect from a society which has, for centuries, taught that it was a male deity which created the universe and all that is in it and then proclaimed man to be produced in his own divine image? Then, as some sort of afterthought, this male deity created woman to live obediently subservient to man, yet this same woman, this arriere-pensee, brought about the downfall of her man and generations to come and as a result of this act, was decreed by God to submit to the dominance of man, God's first and most beloved human creation.

We know from the archaeological record that Goddess worship extends back to the Upper Paleolithic--25,000 BCE until the closing of the last Goddess temple about 500 AD. Yet Abraham, considered to be the first of the Hebrew-Christian prophets lived no earlier than 1800 BCE and possibly as late as 1550 BCE.

Archaeological, mythological, and historical evidence all reveal that the female religion, far from naturally fading way, was the victim of centuries of continual persecution and suppression by the advocates of the new, male-centered, male dominated religion. From this religion came the creation myth of Adam and Eve and the story of the loss of Paradise.

Life for women who lived in a society which venerated a wise and valiant female Creator was far different than today's society which has been so heavily influenced by the ideals of male-centered religions. Man's dominance over women is very recent in the historical record. I for one, see absolutely no need for it to continue.

After all, look how badly MEN have screwed up the world. I can assure you that if women were in charge, the brutality of war would soon become a distant memory.

So again, I pose the question, by what reasoning, recent Western thought aside, should women submit to men?

Old 11-29-2009, 01:25 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,733,224 times
Quote:
Boys
Yet research shows that most boys who are the victims of sexual abuse are victimized by male pedophiles--not women.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,144,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post

Cheese, you're so cynical? What did I do to earn this opinion of me?Basically submission is backing down. Accepting their right of leadership.
So, based on your very posts, which do not entail much of anything, I can figure this leadership is leading nobody to nothing. Great course you're on there, alx.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
And there are a number of societies which functioned as matriarchal and/or egalitarian as well....fewer wars, with rape and/or violence against women virtually unheard of. Western society is relatively young within the concept of the city-state. The misogyny of Western society began with the Greeks and has continued to this day, promoted and condoned by a society which, for some unknown reason, looks to a Hebrew thunder god myth for the moral criteria by which they live their lives.

Yet, what else would we expect from a society which has, for centuries, taught that it was a male deity which created the universe and all that is in it and then proclaimed man to be produced in his own divine image? Then, as some sort of afterthought, this male deity created woman to live obediently subservient to man, yet this same woman, this arriere-pensee, brought about the downfall of her man and generations to come and as a result of this act, was decreed by God to submit to the dominance of man, God's first and most beloved human creation.

We know from the archaeological record that Goddess worship extends back to the Upper Paleolithic--25,000 BCE until the closing of the last Goddess temple about 500 AD. Yet Abraham, considered to be the first of the Hebrew-Christian prophets lived no earlier than 1800 BCE and possibly as late as 1550 BCE.

Archaeological, mythological, and historical evidence all reveal that the female religion, far from naturally fading way, was the victim of centuries of continual persecution and suppression by the advocates of the new, male-centered, male dominated religion. From this religion came the creation myth of Adam and Eve and the story of the loss of Paradise.

Life for women who lived in a society which venerated a wise and valiant female Creator was far different than today's society which has been so heavily influenced by the ideals of male-centered religions. Man's dominance over women is very recent in the historical record. I for one, see absolutely no need for it to continue.

After all, look how badly MEN have screwed up the world. I can assure you that if women were in charge, the brutality of war would soon become a distant memory.

So again, I pose the question, by what reasoning, recent Western thought aside, should women submit to men?
Keep believing that myth.

Women throughout history were one of the main people encouraging men to club each other to death for entertainment and to protect civilization.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Yet research shows that most boys who are the victims of sexual abuse are victimized by male pedophiles--not women.
Because women get less harsh penalties for crime than men. Lot of crimes women do often go unreported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships