Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
What is the deal with that? Seriously! I understand if there are kids involved to the level of going to events for kids but beyond that...?

I mean is it really that hard to make NEW friends that you have not slept with yet or what? There are tons of people out there yet people have to go hang out with an ex and act like its nothing?
Because there are still feelings there. Period, point blank, end of story. That's the only reason why I used to hang out with my Ex's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
What is the deal with that? Seriously! I understand if there are kids involved to the level of going to events for kids but beyond that...?

I mean is it really that hard to make NEW friends that you have not slept with yet or what? There are tons of people out there yet people have to go hang out with an ex and act like its nothing?
That is a huge NO NO in my book. There will be ZERO hanging out with an ex no matter what the situation is. I dont do it, wouldnt do it, and I would expect that whoever I am with will not do it either.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
Quote:
Well you are spending time with them or on them that you could be spending on hunting a new one or personal development. Its not about wishing you wanted to be with the ex. I think about all the times of just being out and seeing people want to talk to me but then they look at who I am standing with and look disappointed. LOL
Now if it was the ex and I was single, I could of just missed out on the new one. I have just met people in so many strange ways that you would never thing would turn out to be a LTR (friends and love) so I just don't want to miss a chance piddling in the past.
I get ya, though being friends with an ex is not necessarily piddling in the past or not wanting to let go of it. The relationship itself is in the past, the friendship remains.

Simply sitting with someone of the opposite sex can have the same effect. You wouldn't have to have had a relationship or slept with him in order for someone to assume you are attached. Does this mean you should avoid every friend of the opposite sex in public? Seems a bit excessive.

The point is that you have complete control over your love life. If you are available, people will know that. Heck, even if you're not available, they will still show an interest. I have yet to have a friend, ex or not, prevent anyone from showing an interest in me. As for those who got away, I never knew they existed so I'm not missing out on anything. There are plenty more where they came from.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Because there are still feelings there. Period, point blank, end of story. That's the only reason why I used to hang out with my Ex's.

Thank you for being honest! And thats why I don't like it one bit.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is a huge NO NO in my book. There will be ZERO hanging out with an ex no matter what the situation is. I dont do it, wouldnt do it, and I would expect that whoever I am with will not do it either.
This is why you have a hot wife.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Thank you for being honest! And thats why I don't like it one bit.
So the rest of us are lying? LOL.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I get ya, though being friends with an ex is not necessarily piddling in the past or not wanting to let go of it. The relationship itself is in the past, the friendship remains.

Simply sitting with someone of the opposite sex can have the same effect. You wouldn't have to have had a relationship or slept with him in order for someone to assume you are attached. Does this mean you should avoid every friend of the opposite sex in public? Seems a bit excessive.

The point is that you have complete control over your love life. If you are available, people will know that. Heck, even if you're not available, they will still show an interest. I have yet to have a friend, ex or not, prevent anyone from showing an interest in me. As for those who got away, I never knew they existed so I'm not missing out on anything. There are plenty more where they came from.
Most of my ex's are over 6ft and 200 lbs...Try getting the opposite sex's attention when you are in the company of that or the biggest ex of 7'3'' 250+ lbs in a leather jacket. People don't even stay looking at me when I would hang out with him. It was so funny.

Guys do not hit on girls that are standing with guys. Its an insult to the guy. Maybe trashy dudes do it. But I see the "nice guys" wilt at it. So I would have to pass up a nice guy but catch a player easily?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
So the rest of us are lying? LOL.
I don't know? Are you?

People lie to themselves in this situation a lot too. Thats what makes it so crazy. You may think you never would...But being in LTR it does go in cycles of hot or not. So who is to say that is not going to spring back into your platonic relationship?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Most of my ex's are over 6ft and 200 lbs...Try getting the opposite sex's attention when you are in the company of that or the biggest ex of 7'3'' 250+ lbs in a leather jacket. People don't even stay looking at me when I would hang out with him. It was so funny.

Guys do not hit on girls that are standing with guys. Its an insult to the guy. Maybe trashy dudes do it. But I see the "nice guys" wilt at it. So I would have to pass up a nice guy but catch a player easily?
Good grief! Huge!

Eye contact, body language, a passing "hello", striking up conversation - all ways to convey that you are not taken. It would be a lot more difficult for me since I don't hit on men. But, I do talk to everyone and when I want to make it clear I am available, I'll find a way to get that message across.

To each their own, but, where there is a will, there is a way.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I don't know? Are you?

People lie to themselves in this situation a lot too. Thats what makes it so crazy. You may think you never would...But being in LTR it does go in cycles of hot or not. So who is to say that is not going to spring back into your platonic relationship?
People do, sure, but to project your own feelings onto every situation isn't productive. That alone can limit your chances of being with someone worthwhile.

I tend to think more logically than emotively. If I am still not over them and I know there is no future in it, I will stay away until I am. If we both feel there is a good basis for friendship down the road, I'm all for it. There are exes I have no desire to be around because they don't add to my life in any way. So, it is safe to say that if I am friends with an ex, there is nothing more to it than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships