Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:02 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times

Advertisements

one of thing I've noticed is tha tit seems to me that many people who "rush" into marriage stay amrried the longest versus the ones that have been engaged or dating for years prior to marriage which seem to end within the first couple of years of leaving the altar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Well, during the 22 years I was single/divorced (before meeting my now great wife), I asked a few girls to marry me. A couple of Engagements happened, but no marriage. Then I had two major problems: mixing sex with love wayyyyyy to much being way to desperate for a relationship/marriage. I really didn't want a gal who had young kids or smoked, but wanted interests to be compatable......I chose just the opposite of what I really wanted! That was, until in 2000 when I met my wife. I got 99.9% of what I wanted and so did she (she has told me this).
Bottom Line for this Thread: Marriage should be done not too fast nor too slow!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:01 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Ever seen the movie "Fools Rush In"? I don't think anyone in my generation should get married until they're over 35 or mature enough.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:50 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Ever seen the movie "Fools Rush In"? I don't think anyone in my generation should get married until they're over 35 or mature enough.
What generation do you mean? Why age 35, just an estimate? Aren't those old-timer's sayings funny but also somewhat truthful?!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
marriage failure is no longer the social stigma it once was. in fact a lota people come out better at least initially after a divorce than b4.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-05-2009 at 01:04 AM..

Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
What generation do you mean? Why age 35, just an estimate? Aren't those old-timer's sayings funny but also somewhat truthful?!
Generation Y and below. People who are currently under 30.

People under 30 or 35 typically marry for the wrong reasons, like 90 percent of them do. Most young marriages don't last. It adds to the contribution of the increasing divorce rate.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM

543 posts, read 999,616 times
I'm in my twenties; I married a bit young to a man in his mid twenties (I was in my early 20's). After a year I though that we had nothing else in common, but I was wrong. I cannot imagine my life without him after three years...and we still have lots to come. He is exactly what I wanted in a man, and we are "growing up" together, since we share similar goals and know exactly what we wanted.

Ah, I was about to finish college prior to the marriage, and he had been out of college for a while prior to the wedding.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 AM

48 posts, read 210,256 times
Had to bump this up. Just met the love of my life and after spending a just over week with him, we are both positive we have found something very special and very unique. We've told each other the worst of the worst about each other. He's actually calling my Mom this afternoon to just have a little chat with her and to tell her that he loves her daughter and he would like her blessing and her help in finding the right time to ask my dad for my hand in marriage. He is 36; I am 32. We have both been very cautious people when it comes to relationships, neither one of us has kids; we are both employed and successful in our own way. We are both people that will hop on the motorcycle one day and head to the classical symphony the next (hell, maybe even go to the symphony on the bike). We both want a family; we agree on how children should be raised and what roles parents should play. Right now, our engagement and wedding are things that are just going to happen...they will be beautiful special days in our lives, but what we are really excited about is growing old together and learning every little detail about each other during those years. On several instances, he's already referred to me as the mother of his children. At the one week mark, we actually decided to step back for a couple of days and look at the situation from the perspective that we've been f&*%ing crazy and our family and friends were going to FLIP when they found out how fast everything was going. Twelve hours later, we were on the phone, crying together and he told me he didn't care what anyone thought and that we had something most people only read and write and dream about. We have literally been GLOWING. So I'm gonna say yes, it's possible, but we also feel like we were blessed to meet...that this was a very special gift that we were lucky enough to receive. I'm just one more girl saying I found "the one" but he's not just that. He's my partner for life, the future father of my children, something very precious and dear to me. We'll be together for a long, long, long time...I have no doubt. Now let the "you're insane" remarks begin!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Had to bump this up. Just met the love of my life and after spending a just over week with him, we are both positive we have found something very special and very unique. We've told each other the worst of the worst about each other. He's actually calling my Mom this afternoon to just have a little chat with her and to tell her that he loves her daughter and he would like her blessing and her help in finding the right time to ask my dad for my hand in marriage. He is 36; I am 32. We have both been very cautious people when it comes to relationships, neither one of us has kids; we are both employed and successful in our own way. We are both people that will hop on the motorcycle one day and head to the classical symphony the next (hell, maybe even go to the symphony on the bike). We both want a family; we agree on how children should be raised and what roles parents should play. Right now, our engagement and wedding are things that are just going to happen...they will be beautiful special days in our lives, but what we are really excited about is growing old together and learning every little detail about each other during those years. On several instances, he's already referred to me as the mother of his children. At the one week mark, we actually decided to step back for a couple of days and look at the situation from the perspective that we've been f&*%ing crazy and our family and friends were going to FLIP when they found out how fast everything was going. Twelve hours later, we were on the phone, crying together and he told me he didn't care what anyone thought and that we had something most people only read and write and dream about. We have literally been GLOWING. So I'm gonna say yes, it's possible, but we also feel like we were blessed to meet...that this was a very special gift that we were lucky enough to receive. I'm just one more girl saying I found "the one" but he's not just that. He's my partner for life, the future father of my children, something very precious and dear to me. We'll be together for a long, long, long time...I have no doubt. Now let the "you're insane" remarks begin!!!!
It will sometimes work out, I have no doubt. My parents dated for like 2 months before they got married and ended up raising 7 kids. This May they will be married for 40 years.

I don't think you're insane at all, but you are still in the honeymoon phase. It will wear off. It always does. You will get into arguments. You will see a side of him you never thought existed. Will you two make it through? Statistics say no, but you get the chance to prove them wrong

The true beauty of a relationship is what happens when things get ugly, not how strong of a connection the two of you have at the beginning.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:52 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
It will sometimes work out, I have no doubt. My parents dated for like 2 months before they got married and ended up raising 7 kids. This May they will be married for 40 years.
You cannot judge modern relationships based on anecdotes from a previous age. The entire landscape of dating, relationships, and marriage is completely different now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships