U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:40 PM

5,004 posts, read 5,216,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I worked customer service for years and then with the general public in a local government office....and I know exactly where you're coming from.

If people only knew what we said about them when they left, they'd rethink how they approached the clerk.

We always knew that the more the person erupted the less they had a leg to stand on. I'd always let them blow until they made it personal. Once that happened, they got the manager.

It was the ones that came in what we called "deadly calm". Those people are scarier than the blowhards. They were right, they knew it and weren't going to leave until it was handled or had someone's head on a platter.

Then you have the posers...the ones showing off for others. They are going to "show" them how it's "done". Those get laughed about the most.

In the government office...I worked for the county and part of my job was taking payments for parking tickets....oh the stories of stupid people I could tell...but I digress...so this blowhard (with his buddies of course) comes in just a carrying on about this ticket...READ IT he screams..I do and look at him....WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!! I said...I'm going to give you directions to the City office, because they were the ones that gave you the ticket not us.

I am so glad I don't work with the general public any more.....blessings to those who do...keep the sense of humor.
Granny Sue, I worked in a courthouse for almost six years...it was like you were there with me. Whoa.

We had people who would come in and pay $2300 fines in dollar bills...the only one who cared was the clerk who had to count up the money and bundle it up with rubber bands...what a chore. Otherwise, nobody cares how you pay - only you, the person who gets the ticket. The judge, the court administrators don't care how you pay the fine. Only that you eventually pay.

Those people can wear you out. Or the ones who have a warrant and have their relatives call, as if they're going to be arrested through the phone...or the ones who call up very drunk and argue with you what's printed on their court docket, about the fines they have to pay or the community service they have to do. Ay, yi, yi, yi!

Or the ones at the window or on the phone who want to know exactly what's going to happen in the courtroom. Heck if you act like a butthead, you MIGHT be arrested and put in jail for awhile. Or given additional fines, or community service. Some people think we were agents and could negotiate their fines lower. Nope, we could take the warrant amount or send them to the courtroom at the time our bosses tell us to send people. And no, we weren't there when you were arrested or fined. If you don't show an officer that you fixed the light on the car and get the back of the citation stamped off and signed by an officer of the court, nobody's going to know about it.

The defendants give the clerks at the window a heckuva lotta power, but we only take certain fines and forfeitures, sign people up for traffic school, and send people to court at the proper times.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 12-03-2009 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Additional thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 PM

5,065 posts, read 3,552,002 times
I try not to be. When I'm in public, I try to maintain a simple firm look. But I can't control my inner anger (through my facial expressions) since I'm not used to being around people.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,708,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I worked customer service for years and then with the general public in a local government office....and I know exactly where you're coming from.

If people only knew what we said about them when they left, they'd rethink how they approached the clerk.

We always knew that the more the person erupted the less they had a leg to stand on. I'd always let them blow until they made it personal. Once that happened, they got the manager.

It was the ones that came in what we called "deadly calm". Those people are scarier than the blowhards. They were right, they knew it and weren't going to leave until it was handled or had someone's head on a platter.

Then you have the posers...the ones showing off for others. They are going to "show" them how it's "done". Those get laughed about the most.

In the government office...I worked for the county and part of my job was taking payments for parking tickets....oh the stories of stupid people I could tell...but I digress...so this blowhard (with his buddies of course) comes in just a carrying on about this ticket...READ IT he screams..I do and look at him....WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!! I said...I'm going to give you directions to the City office, because they were the ones that gave you the ticket not us.

I am so glad I don't work with the general public any more.....blessings to those who do...keep the sense of humor.
Hahahah--I think you may have waited on me in the past. --or someone just like you. You bought me coffee as I recall.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:04 AM

4,384 posts, read 1,981,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I wouldn't be so rude if people were not so stupid and annoying.
if they are, so be it. you cannot control others.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 PM

6,016 posts, read 4,618,999 times
My wife works in a credit union and what she's told me echoes the OP. People being downright cruel right from the start, and over the most trivial things.

She is required to verify ID before issuing funds, and people will go off the deep end! First, it is policy and she must, second, it's to protect the account holder, and third, how hard is it to show ID? Hard enough that you will literally shout obscenities at her, threaten her, and make personal insults to her? Hard enough that you feel better for making her feel so low that she is in tears over it at home? She asked for your ID, not your life! And what's sadder is that such things happen far too frequently. I don't understand how people can be so hateful.

She has told me it seems to be getting worse as time goes. She has to just put up with it, or she risks her job. I have limited public interface, and love that I do not have to put up with it. Want my help, yet treat me like dirt and I will walk away. Then they ask why I'm walking away... it's as if people feel entitled to treat people like ****.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 PM

4,228 posts, read 8,248,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Where is Twinkle Toes when you need a cap busted in someone's a**!
Hello....I don't even think it' on topic

Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 PM

4,384 posts, read 1,981,100 times
Life is not always pleasant. Learn to de-stress, or find a vocation in which high stress levels are not common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships