Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Not in a romantic sense, but I could see how it could happen. I have worked so intensely and closely with coworkers, though, there there developed very familial-type bonds, though.

I find that, for me, this is much more likely to occur in jobs that are emotionally intense (typically the people-helping type professions, and ones with a lot of hands-on and field work) than in situations that are more detached, clock-in, clock-out type environments. This happened when I was part of an at-risk youth outreach program team...very intense, draining work. Definitely moreso than when I worked a desk job.

Hah, edit...I just realized that this is an old thread, and that I responded to it like a year ago...with almost word for word the same response. Weird! I'm nothing if not consistent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Oh lord. Try not only weeks, but years of being thrown together with the same person day in and day out, in the same room, having to listen to them talk politics, gossip, and family life for 8-12 hours per day. Without even a break for lunch. At the beginning, you are fast friends. Then work jealousies, bad moods, and competition sets in. Then, the having to pick and choose sides between them and another coworker friend. By the end of it, you not only want to kill each other but know all of each other's secrets. I have never had an intense work relationship turn out with any other outcome than wanting to kill each other, in the most literal way.

If it was less than a year I could handle it. But 2-3 years... NO WAY I would rather go to l'enfer.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
That's exactly how I feel. Work it work. Private life is private life. Never will the two meet.
Agreed. I can be humorous and helpful around co-workers, and of course polite and respectful, but I would never get genuinely intimate with them, no matter how much time we spend together and whether or not they choose to get intimate themselves and tell me about their private matters.

There have been colleagues who were great to work with or to talk to, and I thought they were awesome individuals (during work hours), but I already have my friends and my partner and my job is a different world altogether.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
Quote:
The people who do not make personal connections or bond with their coworkers are usually the first to be cut loose when there are layoffs. Or they will not be promoted into managment because they will be seen as isolated or aloof
And that's sad. The business world definitely has changed for the worse because now it's not about being the best qualified, it's all about skinning & grinning.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
No. Except for one, I dislike most of my coworkers. Many of them disgust me and the sight of these people immediately fills me with anger and makes my blood boil. I do not trust them and I have been stabbed in the back and slapped in the face many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships