U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 AM

195 posts, read 41,597 times
Default Should a spouse have a say in each others haircut?

Some ladies in the office were standing around our corporate receptionist and gushing over her new short haircut. She went really drastic and cut off a foot of her hair. Now she has a short pixie.

The women were all saying that they loved the new haircut but their husbands would never let them get their hair cut so short. One woman said, "my husband insists that I keep my hair long."

On the other hand my wife wants me to cut my hair shorter and would prefer I got a buzz cut. So to keep her happy, I have a barber cut it shorter than I would normally prefer.

So, what do you think? Should a spouse have any control over how long or short you keep your hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,648,039 times
no.
no elaboration needed. it's not on their body, it's none of their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Some ladies in the office were standing around our corporate receptionist and gushing over her new short haircut. She went really drastic and cut off a foot of her hair. Now she has a short pixie.

The women were all saying that they loved the new haircut but their husbands would never let them get their hair cut so short. One woman said, "my husband insists that I keep my hair long."

On the other hand my wife wants me to cut my hair shorter and would prefer I got a buzz cut. So to keep her happy, I have a barber cut it shorter than I would normally prefer.

So, what do you think? Should a spouse have any control over how long or short you keep your hair?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 AM

72 posts, read 198,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post

I don't think a spouse should have "control" but it might be a good idea to consider their suggestions if you want them to stay attracted to you.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 AM

15,318 posts, read 13,600,357 times
Control? No. An opinion? Yes.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:33 AM

865 posts, read 1,284,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Exactly. My husband always asks me, but he also always asks me if "this shirt goes with these pants." I always say, "What did you do before we were together???"

I know that he prefers my hair long, but ultimately it's my decision what to do with it.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:45 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,648,039 times
yes, i agree with this, we all are entitled to an opinion, but definitely not control

Quote:

Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 AM

18,926 posts, read 11,093,822 times
My dh doesn't care. For those that have seen my pics, you know a couple of years ago I had very long hair. Well, I decided I wanted a "style" for the first time in my life; layers, maybe bangs. I think about it for a long time, go into the salon, and come out with this thing on my head. My dh said I looked like a dental hygienist lol, whatever that's supposed to mean. It wasn't good, tho. I ended up losing quite a bit of length to fix it.

The only time I had an opinion about his hair was when we got married. Since he started up as F/T student, he no longer has it cut. Some days he resembles the flock of seagulls.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,010,389 times
Quote:
Nothing more to see here. Question answered. Close the thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 AM

20,581 posts, read 17,107,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
I don't think a spouse should have "control" but it might be a good idea to consider their suggestions if you want them to stay attracted to you.
^ What she said.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,224,581 times
Funny that you ask..... My b/f loves long hair. As I get older, I realize that MY long hair just doesn't do anything for my face and also, when it's long, it's up 90% of the time because it's in the way. About four months ago, I decided to go with a cut I had been wanting but had been putting off due to being concerned with my b/f's reaction - not that I really care but I didn't want to completely shock him LOL so, I built him up telling him when I was getting my hair cut and that I was probably going to make a big change.
I did, the haircut turned out to be THE best cut and look for me that I've ever had. I think it's very flattering to my facial features and matches my personality.
When I came home his first reaction was he actually said, "oh, it's not that bad, I kind of like it" but now of course his story has changed, he makes comments all the time about how my hair is so short. Again, I could care less because it's my hair and I have to deal with it but I love my new cut, I ended up having my hair dresser cut about 7 inches off of the old but the new is so much better and I get complimented daily on it.
I don't think that spouses should be able to dictacte how you wear your hair or how long it should be. I think their suggestions and feelings are valid but it's still me who's making the final decision. I look at it this way, if I ever develop cancer where I have to end up shaving my head, what's my SO going to do then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships