Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I tested them and signed up once---all the calls I got, were from hookers. Imagine that?--
Hey! Even hookers will marry - if they find "the one".

As to their stats. All they have to do to get a reasonable estimate is poll the users and ex users. Perhaps they even have enough personal data to actually verify the marriages.

The only problem is identifying who got married because of their service. If they are lying, this is like where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
I've never used it. I was married way before Internet dating took off. But I have two friends who are happily married after meeting through e-harmony.

I see it as a way to screen your dates and expand your dating pool beyond the usual borders. I'd definately give it a try if I were single as I'm very shy and don't always feel comfortable approaching new people, especially the opposite sex.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:16 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
well its obviously not in their interests to match you up with someone immediately, because if they did, how would they make money? they need to keep you around for at least a year and get as much money out of you as possible before they try and match you with someone....
ABSOLUTELY true. I was a member a few years ago and I can not tell you how many "new matches" I had during my two year membership with a girl who was just about to let her 1 year membership lapse. She'd been on for a year. I'd been on for over a year. And yet they didn't match us up until she was about to quit. WHAT THE ^$#@!?

Eharmony is a scam. The questionaire is too general. The questions aren't specific enough. Take the quiz twice, be as truthful as possible both times, you'll end up answering differently both times, your personality profiles will be vastly different but both will still be completely true representations of who you are, and as a result you'll be introduced to different matches.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Eharmony is a scam. The questionaire is too general. The questions aren't specific enough. Take the quiz twice, be as truthful as possible both times, you'll end up answering differently both times, your personality profiles will be vastly different but both will still be completely true representations of who you are, and as a result you'll be introduced to different matches.
Ah, no, actually it isn't. It is a successful option for many people. It might not work for you, but I know at least two gals that it was exactly what they were hoping for...they married their matches last spring.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
The media is a propaganda machine man.

That's why I stay FAR away from dating sites.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
EH is crap, non-paying members who cannot communicate are routinely matched up with paying members, this means 80% of your matches cannot even talk to you.

When I was on EH most of my matches were highly incompatible with me, not sure what 29 dimensions they were checking but they were certainly not my dimensions! LOL! Not to mention that at least 60-70% of the women on that site are hideously ugly.. well below average, much older, overweight, have psychological issues or a combination of all these.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ah, no, actually it isn't. It is a successful option for many people. It might not work for you, but I know at least two gals that it was exactly what they were hoping for...they married their matches last spring.
Care to address the points I actually made? Like the one where they don't introduce you to people you are complatible with right away? Or that you can take the quiz twice and have different results each time?

How long were those gals members of eHarmony before they were introduced to the men that became their husbands? How long were the guys members before they were introduced? What was the overlap? I guarantee you that it was over 6 months, and at over $50 a month that is about $600 in fees for each of those couples. Multiply this by hundreds of thousands or millions. If they were month to month members and eHarmony introduced them earlier eHarmony would have lost out on a lot of money.

eHArmony is also expensive.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:07 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Not to mention that at least 60-70% of the women on that site are hideously ugly.. well below average, much older, overweight, have psychological issues or a combination of all these.
Because of course all the good looking long legged slim absolutely crazy women are taken...because really men don't care about the crazy part.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Care to address the points I actually made? Like the one where they don't introduce you to people you are complatible with right away? Or that you can take the quiz twice and have different results each time?

How long were those gals members of eHarmony before they were introduced to the men that became their husbands? How long were the guys members before they were introduced? What was the overlap? I guarantee you that it was over 6 months, and at over $50 a month that is about $600 in fees for each of those couples. Multiply this by hundreds of thousands or millions. If they were month to month members and eHarmony introduced them earlier eHarmony would have lost out on a lot of money.
eHArmony is also expensive.
I addressed the points that I had facts for. It DOES work, for many people. The two gals that recently married, were members for less than 3 months before they connected with their spouse-to-be (one found him within a month). The men were on there for between 6 months and a year. Personally, I always recommend people give it 6 months, at least. I don't see why you consider that a problem. Most people (me included) would spend far more than that going out to bars or restaurants trying to meet someone. I've not used that site myself, but after several years of using online dating, I will tell you that patience is key, just like any other venue out there.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I addressed the points that I had facts for. It DOES work, for many people. The two gals that recently married, were members for less than 3 months before they connected with their spouse-to-be (one found him within a month). The men were on there for between 6 months and a year. Personally, I always recommend people give it 6 months, at least. I don't see why you consider that a problem. Most people (me included) would spend far more than that going out to bars or restaurants trying to meet someone. I've not used that site myself, but after several years of using online dating, I will tell you that patience is key, just like any other venue out there.
If you sign up at eHarmony and the guy you are going to marry has been there for 6 months, I EXPECT eHarmony to introduce you ON DAY ONE! To do otherwise should be illegal. If you join match.com and the same guy has been a member THERE for 6 months you COULD start communicating on day one. You might have trouble finding him but eHarmony advertizes their process as if you can meet that person much easier. After all, they use computers to filter through the millions of members almost immediately. But in fact, you aren't guaranteed to meet your mate within the first week. In fact, you are more guaranteed to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars before you meet someone compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships