Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I feel like so many people on this thread have never been in love. You know love?! Where your greatest joy is making the other person happy? Where it is bigger than you and your petty desires. Where it doesn't matter what happens-obesity, paralysis, cancer, etc. you are there with them until death and are glad to be there. Sorry to rant, but I just had to get that off my chest.
You are so right, and I'm just hoping it's because they are still very young and just haven't gotten "there" yet

I am madly, passionately, crazy in love with my husband. Nothing that has happened to us, or will happen to us, will ever change that. I am just blessed to spend every day of my life with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
I totally get what you're saying. That kind of love is so true that a lot of people don't belive that it could exist. And more than likely, a lot of them never will. Some are even too selfish to ever love anyone but themselves. It takes a special person to want to give their all to another.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Being in LOVE is a very subjective, abstract concept, kind of like saying, I believe in God because I feel him. OK, I respect your feelings and opinions BUT expecting everybody to feel it the same way is IMPOSSIBLE.

You mentioned love as accepting a person for who they are! Ok, if my girlfriend was FAT, I don't think loving her would be accepting her for who she is, but my idea of loving her would be getting her to go to the gym 4-5 times a week like I do, so that she can lose some weight and have a better life. See what I mean?

That's not love. That's control.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sure. But after years of not being loved back the same way, one gives up on it.

True love is something you give, not receive. If you get it back? Great! You're ahead of most everyone else. But, if you don't? You continue to love anyhow or it wasn't love to begin with.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. . .And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
True love is something you give, not receive. If you get it back? Great! You're ahead of most everyone else. But, if you don't? You continue to love anyhow or it wasn't love to begin with.
So true love basically means being an IDIOT? Interesting concept! Your wife cheats on you everyday and you just accept it because you love her, no matter what she does.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Frankly I don't think true love, especially the one explained by OP, exist. There's always a hidden agenda somewhere..
Wow, how sad

Old 12-06-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
So true love basically means being an IDIOT? Interesting concept! Your wife cheats on you everyday and you just accept it because you love her, no
matter what she does.
Why would that make you an "idiot?" Because you're offended? Who's the focus here, you or her?

Yes, you can love through multiple episodes of cheating. No, you don't have to approve of it, or even accept it, but that has nothing to do with true love.

Refusing to love someone because of their behavior isn't love at all. It's pride, and pride is the enemy of love.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I feel like so many people on this thread have never been in love. You know love?! Where your greatest joy is making the other person happy? Where it is bigger than you and your petty desires. Where it doesn't matter what happens-obesity, paralysis, cancer, etc. you are there with them until death and are glad to be there. Sorry to rant, but I just had to get that off my chest.

What prompted this?

That connection is something a person does not truly understand until they find it. It's like a ghost - if you haven't seen one you have a hard time believing.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Love is such an intangible and takes so many forms and any discussion on the subject will always be fraught with inconsistencies as time progresses.

The Bible is replete with love stories, the Gnostic Gospels likewise, the Koran and all else religious encompass the dichotomy of love followed by the Roman and Greek stories and segueing into Shakespeare, etc. and then through time to the present day.

My apologies for saying this but it's a really dumb thread although obviously it's garnered some interest.

To answer the question - yes I have been in love and I know what love is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships