U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM

4,095 posts, read 7,429,008 times
crack rental. Hopefully you had the tumblers changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM

6,230 posts, read 5,868,463 times
I am so sorry this happened to you. My dad always told me, "No good deed goes unpunished," and this definitely fits into that category. I know the new keys with electronic chips are extremely expensive, so I don't doubt the price quoted. Your only recourse is t take this guy t court, but since you've got nothing in writing that might be hard to win because he'll probably lie.

I hate to tell you this, but never lend anything to anyone unless you can afford to lose it. It just seems like a lot of people just aren't responsible and can't be trusted.

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:04 PM

7,250 posts, read 6,051,532 times
An acquaintance of your husband? Really? What's the correct story here? Was this after you lent the car recently to your Lawyer who needed your car?

The dates are in sync. But. . your car or a rental car? Hmmm.

"my husband said 'no' because we don't know this guy and well, frankly, what if he steals the rental car?"

Have I had a brush with 2 psychopaths?

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 12-08-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:08 PM

42,303 posts, read 49,185,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Ok, I loaned my car to a friend of my husbands. A casual aquaintence really. (We barely knew him)

This was 12 days ago.

He was meant to borrow the car for 5 days. But he promised for 2 days to bring it back but he never turned up.

I was extremely MAD and that's putting it mildly.

I had to get to work and I ended up having to borrow my neighbours car - I promised to fill it with gas as payment $60.

Now this original 'person' reckons he has lost my car keys.

He had it towed to a locksmith and ordered new keys for it. I didn't believe him so I called the locksmith myself and it's all true.

Now the keys came in yesterday (Over $400) worth and this guy promised the locksmith he would pick the car up and buy the new keys.

Didn't happen.

Now we can't contact the original borrower - and it looks like I'll be paying over $400 and driving over 2 hours to get my car back.

Does anyone have any words of advice? Or any comfort for me?

Ps I know I am stoopid for loaning my car out, blah blah - but this guy took advantage of my husband and myself during a very difficult time. (It's a long story)

You should have called the police and reported it stolen on the second day.

You have learned a very valuable lesson (I HOPE)!

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:15 PM

11,565 posts, read 7,274,164 times
I think i would seek the wisdom of my GodFather...

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,411,392 times
i think you've lost a lot of money, and learned a valuable lesson about trusting people you hardly know.

sorry.

Unread 12-08-2009, 02:04 PM

15,022 posts, read 22,993,189 times
Why on Earth would you loan your car out to anybody - much less someone you don't even know! : smack::s mack::sm ack::sma ck::smac k::smack : : smack::s mack::sm ack::sma ck::smac k::smack :

Unread 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM

440 posts, read 518,118 times
call the police, your car is stolen.

Unread 12-08-2009, 02:21 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,411,392 times
i had thought of that, but they might not be willing to entertain it since the car was loaned willingly.

the insurance might not pay out because the keys were handed over.

it might be worth asking tho, you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablees8951 View Post
call the police, your car is stolen.

Unread 12-08-2009, 02:43 PM

15,022 posts, read 22,993,189 times
If he/she loaned the car for a certain period of time with the expectation that he/she would get it back, and the person he/she loaned it to never returned it, it is stolen. Consent has been vitiated. But back to my original thought .... why in tarnation would you lend your car to someone you don't know???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships