U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 PM

7,250 posts, read 6,554,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
lol. I know, I know.

But seriously, it's a long sad story.

I did it for my husband who was desperate for help. This guy promised him the world (I was suspicious) but I figured my car isn't worth much and maybe this guy is for real?

He talked a good game and my husband really trusted him.

Some people are really, really good liars and keen to take advantage of vulnerable people.

What can I say?

Thanks to everyone though - I am a bit embarrassed as well as angry.

I am going to pick up my car tomorrow and I am going to file small claims against him.

I'd report it as stolen but I already spoke to a friend who is a police woman and she said the cops would go and visit him and try to basically intimidate him into doing the right thing but that's all they could do.

And if that didn't work (which it wouldn't) I'd be stuck with small claims court anyway.

*sigh*
Why would there be any court at all - except for sayyy. . . Avis/Hertz, whoever you rented it from - against YOU in Criminal Court for Grand Theft Auto?

You said it was a RENTAL CAR.

Remember?

OF COURSE YOU DO! You ignored my last post intentionally because you were busted.

So there must be charges against you for GTA. . which story is fabricated?

I see the changes in story and quite frankly, it's peeving me off - sitting there getting sympathy from all on BS story that is ever-so-changing. Fess up, what is the truth??? And no, I am not going to shut up until you start telling the truth and stop taking everyone's compassion here for granted!

"my husband said 'no' because we don't know this guy and well, frankly, what if he steals the rental car?"
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ychopaths.html

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 12-09-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM

44,415 posts, read 55,062,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Why would there be any court at all - except for sayyy. . . Avis/Hertz, whoever you rented it from - against YOU in Criminal Court for Grand Theft Auto?

You said it was a RENTAL CAR.

Remember?

OF COURSE YOU DO! You ignored my last post intentionally because you were busted.

So there must be charges against you for GTA. . which story is fabricated?

I see the changes in story and quite frankly, it's peeving me off - sitting there getting sympathy from all on BS story that is ever-so-changing. Fess up, what is the truth??? And no, I am not going to shut up until you start telling the truth and stop taking everyone's compassion here for granted!

"my husband said 'no' because we don't know this guy and well, frankly, what if he steals the rental car?"
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ychopaths.html

Well, having it be a rental car would certainly add a new dimension to the story. Hope tumblebug comes back and clears this up!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM

8,788 posts, read 22,304,499 times
Quote:
What difference does that make?
If you are living somewhere other than the US, the legal system is different from the US in at least some ways...if you are living in the US your comment does not make much sense unless you specify what "your country" means...

Never loan cars, never loan tools, don't stay friends with people who ask.

Not only do I not loan things out, I consider it an unforgivable breach of etiquette for someone to ask.

My name is not Hertz. . Dammit.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you are living somewhere other than the US, the legal system is different from the US in at least some ways...if you are living in the US your comment does not make much sense unless you specify what "your country" means...

Never loan cars, never loan tools, don't stay friends with people who ask.

Not only do I not loan things out, I consider it an unforgivable breach of etiquette for someone to ask.

My name is not Hertz. . Dammit.
Sure, but even in Australia - where I believe the OP is - GTA still exists. If you rent a car, loan it to someone and never get it back. . that is still Grand Theft and she would be held liable under the law with her azz pinned against the wall.

Well. Whatever the real story is, anyway.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM

519 posts, read 571,180 times
Just ignore Jeepgirl - I did ages ago - it's awesome

I got my car back this morning - I am feeling a lot happier.

My husband got upset when we arrived to pick it up though - up til then I was angry and he was ok.

I guess we've swapped roles.

I no longer have central locking - the locksmith said that wasn't possible - and they had to remove the whole car disabling mechanism - you know the one they install to stop thieves?

Pretty ironic. LOL.

We got a text from the original 'borrower' this morning he's all indignant because he reckons I 'insinuated' to the locksmith that he stole my car.

My head nearly exploded when I read his message telling me off.

So this experience cost me
$490 cash.
4 Hours driving out of my way.
My central locking.
Use of my own car for 2 weeks.
And my electronic car disabler.

Plus it made me super mad!

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread for all your kind words or support and good advice. I really appreciate it, thank you. It has been a difficult time.

And to all the people who wrote on this thread to give me a hard time - well you suck.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,014,736 times
Quote:
Ok, I loaned my car to a friend of my husbands. A casual aquaintence really. (We barely knew him)

This was 12 days ago.

He was meant to borrow the car for 5 days. But he promised for 2 days to bring it back but he never turned up.

I was extremely MAD and that's putting it mildly.

I had to get to work and I ended up having to borrow my neighbours car - I promised to fill it with gas as payment $60.

Now this original 'person' reckons he has lost my car keys.

He had it towed to a locksmith and ordered new keys for it. I didn't believe him so I called the locksmith myself and it's all true.

Now the keys came in yesterday (Over $400) worth and this guy promised the locksmith he would pick the car up and buy the new keys.

Didn't happen.

Now we can't contact the original borrower - and it looks like I'll be paying over $400 and driving over 2 hours to get my car back.

Does anyone have any words of advice? Or any comfort for me?

Ps I know I am stoopid for loaning my car out, blah blah - but this guy took advantage of my husband and myself during a very difficult time. (It's a long story)
That's why you never lend your car out to no one

Lesson Learned

Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM

44,415 posts, read 55,062,206 times
Quote:

My husband got upset when we arrived to pick it up though - up til then I was angry and he was ok.

I no longer have central locking - the locksmith said that wasn't possible - and they had to remove the whole car disabling mechanism - you know the one they install to stop thieves?

Pretty ironic. LOL.

We got a text from the original 'borrower' this morning he's all indignant because he reckons I 'insinuated' to the locksmith that he stole my car.

$490 cash.
My central locking.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread for all your kind words or support and good advice. I really appreciate it, thank you. It has been a difficult time.

And to all the people who wrote on this thread to give me a hard time - well you suck.

So it was your car, not a rental?

Either way, like I said, you have hopefully learned a good lesson. Or should I say, I hope your husband has learned a good lesson

Old 12-09-2009, 06:57 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,845,339 times
This also sounds like a scam as all this person would have to have done is call the locksmith to the site of where the car was and forego the tow and probably would have been less than a hundred dollars,oh yes you were scammed.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 PM

15,212 posts, read 24,920,253 times
I love Jeepgirl!

Okay, having said that ... glad you got your car back. NOW you gotta work on getting rid of that no-good, rotten, douchebag husband of yours. Sorry, but he sounds like a total creep to me. You gotta do something.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Pretty ironic. LOL.

$490 cash.
My central locking.

You are not ignoring me by acknowledging me.

It's a miracle! The rental is back!

Pretty quick and "nifty" at coming up with that sort of cash considering you did not even have ANY money whatsoever to put toward legal help and borrowed a rental car (rental) to a volunteer stranger "lawyer" w/o a car of his own, who had to use it to file papers in court for his GF. I'm just so wowed. I cannot help but be amused by this tale. . . . 2+2 = 17 here.

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 12-09-2009 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships