Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 PM

18 posts, read 33,902 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think that's a very broad statement to make. I think they are many variables that have to be included on how the different gender ages. However, I do think that women do a lot more damage to the body.
My mother had a theory she told me about what a woman looks like when she is older.
She told me, "show me a man that treats her wife good all her life, and I'll show you a gorgeous woman".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaleigh View Post
She told me, "show me a man that treats her wife good all her life, and I'll show you a gorgeous woman".
Very good point!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 PM

18 posts, read 33,902 times
Thank you.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
You could be right, never looked at it that way.

When I see women 35 looking older than than their years, what comes to mind is stress and
unhappiness you can throw in genetics into the mix, poor nutrition or the lack of sleep,
but happiness stands out in my mind.

Happiness or the lack of can add or subtract 10yrs from your age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi virgode,

Not at all but men look down the road. If I marry a 25 year old she will be 35 in 10 years. So if we are still looking good at 35 then so much the better. Monogamy selects for younger women because a man is tired to her fertility. The underpinnings is it is much longer opportunity to make babies. Chimpanzees like older experienced females because they are not monogamous. It does not matter if the best mate this year is done in 5 years.

I see women look very nice well after 40.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Yes, because they also have the clout of status and etc. (in some cases) that increases as they get older as well.

Think of the word "prime" and how it relates to men and women. Women are often thought of in their prime when they're in their 20's. Men is 30's and 40's. By prime, I mean physical appearance and attractiveness. Men and youth aren't as heavily correlated as women and youth are. I think this goes back to the whole fertility, birthing-babies and reproduction thing.
Youth is beautiful on women because it advertises her fertility. Youth is not so closely associated with attractiveness in men because they remain fertile longer. If women were judged on the whole package the way men are, we'd get more attractive as we age too. Experience, maturity and education should be attractive on either sex but they're, definitely, more attractive on men in our society.

Wrinkles make him wise. They just make her old. Huge double standard here.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 AM

252 posts, read 660,677 times
I think part is due to the double standard of women/old spoken of earlier and partly due to how they take care of themselves and how much stress they've endured. Also, how menopause hits a lot of them (my mom aged about 20 years when menopause hit. she went from looking young for her age to being asked about the senior discount).

Just a funny story, but when I was 17 I worked at a gas station and our fedex lady had her birthday. She looked in her early-to-mid 40's and my boss guessed that and it turned out she was in her early 60's. We were dumbfounded and asked how she stayed so youthful. Her answer? "I never got married."

Old 12-09-2009, 04:49 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,922,877 times
i reckon men are genetically predisposed to look better as they age.

we can fertilise women until we die, whereas a woman has pretty much become unfertile by 40-50.

therefore, we need to retain something about us, in order to be able to compete with the young 'uns.

and before anyone starts throwing figures at me, there are obviously exceptions to the rule, and the ages are a guide.
these drawings are not to scale !

Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
No way. Dudes go bald and grow backhair/nose hair/earhair/farting issues/drippy peewee issues! Exercise and nutrition is not going to fix that. Having a baby is draining on the body. If you don't restore it after you are going to look like crap. Also all the time you have to put into the baby/kids takes away from your "me" time for self care.

In this house I am the older one. I am taking age better than he is and pretty much most of anyone male I know. Same with my little brother. People always ask if I am his little sister because of how we look. I would say the difference between me and my bro habits wise:
- he smokes (2-3pks & still) vs. me smoking maybe a year or two ( 1/2-1pk)
- he drinks weekly casual vs. I really rarely drink
- he hates veggies and eats sweets all the time. vs. veggie/fruit lover with a normal amt of sweets
- he always used really chemically laden stuff on his skin for acne/cleanse/care vs. I switch it up and go natural and minimalistic
- he worships the sun vs. I have not had a tan or even a glow in almost 20 years now.
- he exercises/active always vs. I have stints but usually am always busy with life stuff

Old 12-09-2009, 06:31 AM

195 posts, read 293,479 times
I think lots of it depends on their career and economic situation. If the woman is a factory worker living on $7 an hour it is very likely their looks will take a beating by hard living and lack of peer pressure to look good. Ever see the women in bowling leagues in the poor side of town?

On the other hand I have seen some really young looking and attractive women in their forties who have executive jobs, a healthy lifestyle and access to cosmetic procedures.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
Oh yeh...your junk also shrinks, starts to not work and does not get as hard.

That also is not what I would call "good news" on getting old for a guy. Makes saggy boobs look like a heaven sent issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships