Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM

313 posts, read 406,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
To be frank, Im not buying that there are that many positive father figures in homes in the black community. There are a few, certainly, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that there is a consistent presence of a father figure from early age until adulthood, in the majority of homes in the black community.

Although psychology is far from an exact science, it is the only consistent way that we have to quantify effects on mental health. And both anecdotal and academic evidence shows that girls who are raised without strong father figures, are less likely to select good partners. Low self esteem and lack of proper male attention predisposes most young girls to accepting and selecting mistreatment from the men in their lives.
well, maybe you need to get out of your bubble and meet a lot more black people, then maybe you will realize that we are not all being raised without a father, and with all these lack of morals.

You need to realize that most of what you are saying is the same with all races, but primarily in lower income communities.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:06 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
It's the Flava-Flavs, Adam "Pacman" Joneses, 50 Cents, Allen Iversons, and Lil Waynes that I found most black women - especially when they're younger - want. It's not until they reach their 30s (if that) when they're finally sexed and partied out and are looking to find someone to settle for (note, not LOVE WITH and SHARE THEIR LIVES WITH, but SETTLE FOR).
Yea, you are right about that, many young girls (even older girls too!) idolize men they see on TV. Furthermore, women then take those Hollywood standards and superimpose them on any male they see around the community. If somehow the guy does not measure up to the Hollywood standard, then he is a bum.

I'm sorry, but, just because a man does not own a Bentley mean that he's a bum! A man is a bum if he does not take care of his family obligations or add any REAL value to his community. And let me tell you, there are quite a few rich men who are BUMS!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:14 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
What you were told is false. actually if the man lives in the home, they recieve more assistance then if he don't. Now, if he works full time, and makes good money, then, yes it can knock them out of the income bracket, but, on the same hand, the income ceiling is raised because of the man being in the house.

You seem to have a tainted view of who is recieving public assistance. Lets take food stamps for example, only 33% of people getting foodstamps with children in the home are single parent households, so 67% are two parent households. The average household size is 2.3 people per household.

25% of those that recieve benifits are disabled or the elderly.

Your points are noted but I come from a paradigm were I believe people should not rely on the government for anything! So I could care less how many people are actually using "the system". Moorish (black) communities need to learn how to support each other and just let uncle Sam use his fiat currency to kindle his fire.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:39 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm not black and I don't know who all these people are, but I have heard of flava-flav (I remember public enemy in HS as well as that show he had). I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would want a character like that. How are these girls being raised to think these men are appropriate to bed with?
I am black and I don't know any decent women who wants a flava flav or 50 cent type man. Maybe some illiterate ghetto princess, but not the black women in this thread.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
True. I met him in person back in '89. Cool cat. Nothing like he puts on for TV. Did a lot for inner city youth.
He was also regularly arrested for beating his "wife".

Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
well, maybe you need to get out of your bubble and meet a lot more black people, then maybe you will realize that we are not all being raised without a father, and with all these lack of morals.

You need to realize that most of what you are saying is the same with all races, but primarily in lower income communities.

lol..wow.."Bubble"? thats some pretty charged language you're using there. While I agree that all of those attributes are prevalent in lower income communities, black people are very concentrated in lower income communities...are they not?

Anyway, Im not saying that all blacks are raised without fathers. Hell I grew up with blacks who had great fathers...They were in the minority, but they do exist. I already said that there are a few black households with a consistent presence of positive father figures. But today, I doubt that most black households have a consistent presence of positive father figures. I mean its kind of obvious.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 PM

275 posts, read 687,040 times
There are so many descent black guys out there and i am one of them and i know a lot of my friends are too. I am talking about educated, smart and have a good sense of humor and of course they don't cheat on their girl friends and i am one of them. I personnally would not go sleeping around just because i was born handsome and i have a big ding dong in my pants neither will i go around using a woman for sex. I would rather sleep with someone i am in a relationship with and not just casual or random but a meaningful relationship, i am a no nosense person. I am not very religious but these are my personnal morals.

I would never approach a pretty no good girl or easy target e.g drunk or loose. Being a player is not cool it is just as bad as the opposite a female 'hoodrat' and i will never go down that way i am not cheap. This 'all black guys are the same' stereotype is not new i have heard this from many black and other ethnical women but i would ask a good question where do you find your black men?

Secondly if you want a good black man and you are supposedly a good black/ethnical woman, then let him prove it to you that he is worthy and you have to take appropriate rational action by using broad intellectual criteria such as clarity, credibity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, significance and fairness do not judge the book by its cover observe, reason then take action

Old 12-14-2009, 08:46 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Default Apparently

they're in hiding!

La. woman arrested in grits attack on boyfriend (http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1110ap_us_grits_attack.html?source=mypi - broken link)

Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
they're in hiding!

La. woman arrested in grits attack on boyfriend (http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1110ap_us_grits_attack.html?source=mypi - broken link)

I guess he never heard of Phil Hartman. Now that was sad. Men, stop being stupid. If you're breaking up don't go and take a nap before you leave. Just leave.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
But today, I doubt that most black households have a consistent presence of positive father figures. I mean its kind of obvious.
Not really but if believing so makes you feel better than have at it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships