U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Transition Island
946 posts, read 1,399,267 times
Reputation: 333

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
You guys kill each other just as much as we do. Most of the killing is tribal BS. No, Black American people in general use too many excuses, if Nigerians can come to America for decades and get an education and make their country look beautiful and modern and Black Americans can do the same to their neighborhoods and bussiness as well. Going to college and getting good grades is the most logical thing that Black Americans need to do.

BTW, even though Africans, Caribbeans, and Black Latinos sometimes come from poor situations and places. We are still happy and we still have pride in out hertiage and our nationalities. Nigerians are considered to be the happiest in the world.
Do they get student aid when they go to school here? I think that would be considered a "government handout." Now you will either respond to this question or this poster has put me on ignore. LMBO!!! I do not believe she enjoys debating with women, but she will surely go with you men. GET HER!!!

 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: dc, arlington
124 posts, read 169,974 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Well I hope you are not getting any student aid from the government while you are in school or getting free health insurance from the university. Most of us know that what they show us on television is false young lady. You are writing to many of us that have that knowledge already. For me to have had friends from many different parts of Africa your sharing of information is useless to me. Get with the African Union there in Washington D.C. and join them for they have brothers from all over the world. Their agenda is exhilarating to say the least, but you may not like it because they have AA blacks in the organization too.
Most of us know that what they show us on television is false young lady. You are writing to many of us that have that knowledge already. For me to have had friends from many different parts of Africa your sharing of information is useless to me.

The information was not directed at you FYI. Not everyone knows this, many people still believe what the media and government tells them. I'm just letting some people know that this is out here.

By handouts, I mean welfare. It's the worst thing that happened in America. It's why so many families are headed by single parents. The government is obligated to for the well-being of their citizens education and health. I never said that there was anything wrong with that. Just people getting welfare checks and foodstamps off my well-earned money isn't right.

There is nothing wrong with getting finacial aid from the government to pay for school. The government needs to fund education more. here needs to be more emphasis on education and making it more afforable maybe there would be less criminals behind bars. The US is one of the only few places in the world where you have to take out loans just to go to school. FYI, half of my education is paid for out of pocket, some is scholarship money, and half is grants from the government because of my grades.

There needs to be free healthcare. American have so many health problems, Asthma, Obesity, Diabetes, MS.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
 
Location: dc, arlington
124 posts, read 169,974 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Do they get student aid when they go to school here? I think that would be considered a "government handout." Now you will either respond to this question or this poster has put me on ignore. LMBO!!! I do not believe she enjoys debating with women, but she will surely go with you men. GET HER!!!
Student aid a government handout? GTFOH

I don't enjoying debating with useless women like you.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
745 posts, read 887,894 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
You guys kill each other just as much as we do. Most of the killing is tribal BS. No, Black American people in general use too many excuses, if Nigerians can come to America for decades and get an education and make their country look beautiful and modern and Black Americans can do the same to their neighborhoods and bussiness as well. Going to college and getting good grades is the most logical thing that Black Americans need to do.

BTW, even though Africans, Caribbeans, and Black Latinos sometimes come from poor situations and places. We are still happy and we still have pride in out hertiage and our nationalities. Nigerians are considered to be the happiest in the world.
I can't say I disagree with you entirely here. We do have a lot of improving to do, and most of us are aware of that. It doesn't mean all of us should get the same label because these problems do not apply to all of us. But I do agree with some of your points.

My only question(s): are you "claimed" by the Latin and Caribbean communities? Do they see you as Black American? Is it safe to consider yourself Black Latin American? I mean, assuming you were born here you can't get around the fact that you are American.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 PM
 
Location: dc, arlington
124 posts, read 169,974 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I can't say I disagree with you entirely here. We do have a lot of improving to do, and most of us are aware of that. It doesn't mean all of us should get the same label because these problems do not apply to all of us. But I do agree with some of your points.

My only question(s): are you "claimed" by the Latin and Caribbean communities? Do they see you as Black American? Is it safe to consider yourself Black Latin American? I mean, assuming you were born here you can't get around the fact that you are American.
I believe you go by what you father is. Since my dad is Hispanic, therefore I am. Most Caribbeans and Latinos can tell where the differences between each other. Most people assume I'm Dominican. Yeah I am American, but I'm not a BLACK american. I'm Caribbean/Hispanic American.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
 
2,729 posts, read 2,339,658 times
Reputation: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
It's true what I said. Many women who don't know how to act like proper ladies still demand the "He has to treat me like lady" BS. Well, start acting like one then they may have a leg to stand on.
Well bred men will treat every woman like a lady.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Transition Island
946 posts, read 1,399,267 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
Most of us know that what they show us on television is false young lady. You are writing to many of us that have that knowledge already. For me to have had friends from many different parts of Africa your sharing of information is useless to me.

The information was not directed at you FYI. Not everyone knows this, many people still believe what the media and government tells them. I'm just letting some people know that this is out here.

By handouts, I mean welfare. It's the worst thing that happened in America. It's why so many families are headed by single parents. The government is obligated to for the well-being of their citizens education and health. I never said that there was anything wrong with that. Just people getting welfare checks and foodstamps off my well-earned money isn't right.

There is nothing wrong with getting finacial aid from the government to pay for school. The government needs to fund education more. here needs to be more emphasis on education and making it more afforable maybe there would be less criminals behind bars. The US is one of the only few places in the world where you have to take out loans just to go to school. FYI, half of my education is paid for out of pocket, some is scholarship money, and half is grants from the government because of my grades.

There needs to be free healthcare. American have so many health problems, Asthma, Obesity, Diabetes, MS.
You are young as one of the posters mentioned. Welfare has its purpose for people who really need it. Let us hope that you do not have an accident that renders you susceptible to having to receive any help from the government or one day have a family and both you and your mate become unemployed and you have to temporarily use govt. resources to get you over until you become self-sufficient again. If today they decided to no longer give out grants due to your grades, would you still be able to afford school? Well guess what my parent paid for my undergraduate degree because my Dad made to much to get anything for free and for Grad School I got a loan to pay for my housing, yet I had a full assistantship to go to school and was to proud to get food stamps although I could have, but pride comes before the fall. Inevitably it will come or you as an individual will see the errors of your finances.

Many Africans sell their children because they do not have the means to support them, yet you mention they are hard working people, well they come over here for some reason do they not?? If they were so hardworking then why did they not work hard in the country in which they were born and find their success there? When they get here they get all the free stuff that is offered by our government and have the nerve to look at AA's like they are doing something wrong. Talk about calling the kettle black. Let us not forget how many of the young males and females become child soldiers because of not having anything and families being murdered with children left behind to fend for themselves. The leaders feed them drugs and get them addicted, rape the females and males, and make the young soldiers murder families. Many of our African children have been exploited by their own and suffer from post-traumatic syndrome once they are saved from the ills of their own people.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
745 posts, read 887,894 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
I believe you go by what you father is. Since my dad is Hispanic, therefore I am. Most Caribbeans and Latinos can tell where the differences between each other. Most people assume I'm Dominican. Yeah I am American, but I'm not a BLACK american. I'm Caribbean/Hispanic American.
Fair enough. Since you're young and still have a lot of life yet to live, I hope your perspective on black men change (not as a preference for dating, but your perspective regarding us in general). We're not all bad. A lot of us are hard working, educated, cultured, respectful, and all around good people. And thats my final thought for tonight.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: dc, arlington
124 posts, read 169,974 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
You are young as one of the posters mentioned. Welfare has its purpose for people who really need it. Let us hope that you do not have an accident that renders you susceptible to having to receive any help from the government or one day have a family and both you and your mate become unemployed and you have to temporarily use govt. resources to get you over until you become self-sufficient again. If today they decided to no longer give out grants due to your grades, would you still be able to afford school? Well guess what my parent paid for my undergraduate degree because my Dad made to much to get anything for free and for Grad School I got a loan to pay for my housing, yet I had a full assistantship to go to school and was to proud to get food stamps although I could have, but pride comes before the fall. Inevitably it will come or you as an individual will see the errors of your finances.

Many Africans sell their children because they do not have the means to support them, yet you mention they are hard working people, well they come over here for some reason do they not?? If they were so hardworking then why did they not work hard in the country in which they were born and find their success there? When they get here they get all the free stuff that is offered by our government and have the nerve to look at AA's like they are doing something wrong. Talk about calling the kettle black. Let us not forget how many of the young males and females become child soldiers because of not having anything and families being murdered with children left behind to fend for themselves. The leaders feed them drugs and get them addicted, rape the females and males, and make the young soldiers murder families. Many of our African children have been exploited by their own and suffer from post-traumatic syndrome once they are saved from the ills of their own people.

Many Africans sell their children because they do not have the means to support them, yet you mention they are hard working people, well they come over here for some reason do they not?? If they were so hardworking then why did they not work hard in the country in which they were born and find their success there? When they get here they get all the free stuff that is offered by our government and have the nerve to look at AA's like they are doing something wrong. Talk about calling the kettle black. Let us not forget how many of the young males and females become child soldiers because of not having anything and families being murdered with children left behind to fend for themselves. The leaders feed them drugs and get them addicted, rape the females and males, and make the young soldiers murder families. Many of our African children have been exploited by their own and suffer from post-traumatic syndrome once they are saved from the ills of their own people.

Sound just like any situation you can find in any of the American ghettos
-Child prosititution
-Rape
-Drug Addiction
-Gang violence

You Black Americans are just as guilty. You can find the same crap in your comminities as well. The point is they you are in A-M-E-R-I-C-A. The land of oppurtunity you guys should have your **** straight because you were born here.

Most of the Africans who come over here are wealthy. They already have degrees in their nations but they can't use them over in the US. Most foreign born people never take welfare not matter were they are from my grandparents came here and worked theis asses off. The purpose of coming to the US is to make extra money to send remittances to help build their countries and their families.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
745 posts, read 887,894 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
You are young as one of the posters mentioned. Welfare has its purpose for people who really need it. Let us hope that you do not have an accident that renders you susceptible to having to receive any help from the government or one day have a family and both you and your mate become unemployed and you have to temporarily use govt. resources to get you over until you become self-sufficient again. If today they decided to no longer give out grants due to your grades, would you still be able to afford school? Well guess what my parent paid for my undergraduate degree because my Dad made to much to get anything for free and for Grad School I got a loan to pay for my housing, yet I had a full assistantship to go to school and was to proud to get food stamps although I could have, but pride comes before the fall. Inevitably it will come or you as an individual will see the errors of your finances.

Many Africans sell their children because they do not have the means to support them, yet you mention they are hard working people, well they come over here for some reason do they not?? If they were so hardworking then why did they not work hard in the country in which they were born and find their success there? When they get here they get all the free stuff that is offered by our government and have the nerve to look at AA's like they are doing something wrong. Talk about calling the kettle black. Let us not forget how many of the young males and females become child soldiers because of not having anything and families being murdered with children left behind to fend for themselves. The leaders feed them drugs and get them addicted, rape the females and males, and make the young soldiers murder families. Many of our African children have been exploited by their own and suffer from post-traumatic syndrome once they are saved from the ills of their own people.
Okay, thats not my final thought for tonight. I need to set one thing straight. Many Africans who come here do not get "free stuff offered by the government". My ex-girlfriend came here from Liberia just before the civil war ended in 2003. She came here with nothing and had to work several low wage jobs to keep herself in school. She crash landed right into the middle of the worse possible areas of Baltimore on a student visa. Coming from a place where she literally witnessed tens of hundreds of people (including her own sister) raped and murdered, to a place that wasn't as extreme but NOTHING like the America that was advertised to her, right in the biting cold ghetto of West Baltimore. She may have gotten some financial aid, but she certainly wasn't shuffled through on a carriage made of gold. Many of her West African friends share the same stories.

It may look like they're given golden opportunities, and some are because they are simply that intellegent. But others come here, drive cabs and work at warehouses, or as nurses amongst other things to get themselves through school. They also cannot let their families down back home, and are usually sending money back home in the midst of all this stuff. You really don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top