Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I had a similar situation with this one girl who I was interested in about a year ago. She said we could never 'work' because:

a) I was too old;
b) I was not the same ethnicity as her;
c) I lived too far away;
d) I was losing my hair;
e) We worked at the same place.

I laughed and never gave her another thought . She's still single.
She's probably happier to be single than be with you. Not because you're a bad guy, or not a good catch for someone, but you weren't right for HER! She has a certain type and you're not it. Why does that make her wrong, just because she didn't want YOU? By your logic (I'm 41, white, and live in San Antonio), I should be thrilled if a 60 year old (insert non-white race here) long-haired guy (I like bald guys) who works for my same boss, but lives in Dallas, wants to date me?

I'm quite happy being single, and I'm not willing to settle. I don't have some huge list of criteria, but I know what I like.

Why on earth should someone date/marry someone they are not attracted to, and do not love, just to be able to say they're not single? Makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:52 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Another good point. We all have had things happen in life that we would have never originally predicted. But if you look back and regret things or beat yourself up, you'll go crazy.

You love your daughter. Just imagine how life would be if she weren't in it. You wouldn't give her up for any of that, I bet.
Gawd no!!! She is my life!!! I wouldn't trade her for the world! Her attitude is a different story, but she is awesome and we have so much fun together! Plus, I'm the 'young' mom! All of her friends have moms in their late 30's and 40's! I'm still some what cool to her friends and that she likes!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I don't think anything has turned out the way I envisioned it would. And I was so sure I had it all figured out. Shows you what I know!

Of course I have regrets. Doesn't everyone? Yes, I will always wonder what would have happened if I'd turned right instead of left!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
She's probably happier to be single than be with you. Not because you're a bad guy, or not a good catch for someone, but you weren't right for HER! She has a certain type and you're not it. Why does that make her wrong, just because she didn't want YOU? By your logic (I'm 41, white, and live in San Antonio), I should be thrilled if a 60 year old (insert non-white race here) long-haired guy (I like bald guys) who works for my same boss, but lives in Dallas, wants to date me?

I'm quite happy being single, and I'm not willing to settle. I don't have some huge list of criteria, but I know what I like.

Why on earth should someone date/marry someone they are not attracted to, and do not love, just to be able to say they're not single? Makes no sense to me.
I see your point and agree. There is nothing wrong with being single, not settling, and waiting for the right person. But in the meantime, don't complain about it. She complained about it regularly to me and to friends. Mind, my post was merely elaborating on a previous poster's statements which included pointing out that sometimes to find something one must be willing to step out of his/her comfort zone. Stepping out is not the same as stepping down.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
But a conversation that would be interesting! You're definitely a knowledgeable man.
Thanks. I could find a way to politicize any thread.

I would go to politics and conroversies, but the people in there are jsut plain extreme left/right whackos.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I see your point and agree. There is nothing wrong with being single, not settling, and waiting for the right person. But in the meantime, don't complain about it. She complained about it regularly to me and to friends. Mind, my post was merely elaborating on a previous poster's statements which included pointing out that sometimes to find something one must be willing to step out of his/her comfort zone. Stepping out is not the same as stepping down.
OK. I understand. I don't complain (any more ) about being single. I think once I got past the age where it was reasonable to want my own biological children, it was easier. The clock is no longer ticking, so I can be more relaxed about dating.

Having kids would have been nice, but right now I can see myself more as the stepmother of a teenager, rather than the mother of an infant.

I have no idea why my life turned out the way it did, but at least I can focus more on the good aspects of it, than the bad ones. It wasn't always that way.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Thanks. I could find a way to politicize any thread.

I would go to politics and controversies, but the people in there are jsut plain extreme left/right whackos.
I know what you mean, people adamantly believe wholeheartedly in the political system. They then chose a particular side and will defend it to the death.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:14 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
OK. I understand. I don't complain (any more ) about being single. I think once I got past the age where it was reasonable to want my own biological children, it was easier. The clock is no longer ticking, so I can be more relaxed about dating.

Having kids would have been nice, but right now I can see myself more as the stepmother of a teenager, rather than the mother of an infant.

I have no idea why my life turned out the way it did, but at least I can focus more on the good aspects of it, than the bad ones. It wasn't always that way.
You can still have children. My mom had me when she was 43. Don't give up yet.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Am I the only one who never had a checklist for men or life in general? I notice I do tend to have preferences, but it never once occurred to me to go out looking for those things and check them off the list. Maybe I'm just not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:23 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
It is funny how life can change once you come of age.

I remember in the 8th grade waiting to go into homeroom and was having a conversation with a friend about marriage. I was asked what age I thought I'd get married. At that point I had assumed I would get an ROTC scholarship, become an Army officer and as most do get married within the first year or two of the army. At that time 22-23 years old seemed rather far away.

I did get the ROTC scholarship, but by the age of 17 I had grown tired of moving around to crappy army bases every year and had tired of military life. When I started driving I found my true love in cars and racing and away I went on a long journey down that path.

Never got married or came close either.

I chose to live/follow my dreams, but it is a hard path to walk I can tell you that. Many seem to give up on dreams, but I never have. It has probably cost me in a few areas, but even if I am not entirely successful, I will have an interesting journey with no or few regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships