Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,637,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
Being single is NOT easy.
being single has its downsides, sure, but being a difficult lifestyle is not one of those qualities.

Quote:
Please provide some encouraging words for struggling single adults. Write something positive, tell your success story and what it took to get there, or state what keeps you motivated. Feel free to address singles who may:

1. live in a small town with few prospective dates
2. feel acute (e.g., breakup, divorce) or chronic loneliness
3. have a history of attracting people with character flaws (e.g., lying, unfaithfulness, alcohol and drug abuse)
4. sexually frustrated
5. other
forget the plastic reality of fake positive reinforcement. that is junkie behavior; if you want to live like a junkie, drugs are a much more efficient choice.

i believe that you'll be happy when you learn to appreciate the cold, destitute reality of life, and you're able to fully experience the contrast between the happy and the miserable points in your life.

being with a woman, or being single, has not a damn thing to do with being happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,161,377 times
all my friends in long term relationships are miserable

then you got me whos single. i do what i want, when i want to. meanwhile my friends want to come do stuff but their GFs are tieing them down. i can date around, sleep with different women when i feel like it plus most of the time i'm paying for 1 instead of 2.

maybe people in relationships need some encouraging words!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:10 PM

454 posts, read 686,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInHSV View Post
One of the best ways to see the benefits of being single is to get into (and out of!) a bad LT relationship.
I agree. Although I havent' had a long term official relationship (where the person and I told people, we're boyfriend/girlfreind) in damn near 3 years...I've dated people for a month or 2 and they turn out to be complete *******s.

At this point, Im less wanting to have a boyfriend and more just focusing on myself. I've gone thru alot of personal/money/moving issues and Im just like, I need to complete myself, nobody else can do that.

A boyfriend has never fixed my car, never paid my rent, never got me anything significant (except for my boyfriend from 5 years ago, I wear his bracelet everyday). So why do I need to be in such a rush to find one?

I know its often said, but its going to take AWHILE for a boyfriend to complete my life. Unfortunently in the beginning, that just doesnt happen. I walked away with more pain than pleasure. I would love to have a boyfriend, but I dont know if its my time or not. The Holidays are here, there's no romance. But I have to look after me...

Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,150,084 times
The best advice ever given to me was my aunt who didn't marry until she was over 40 years old...

"Just live your life the way you'd want to, find the job you want to work, travel to places you want to visit, and do the things you want to do. If you find someone along the way that will undoubtedly make you happy and have many things in common with, then consider it a bonus. Life is too short to spend time being down about not having someone. You will most likely find someone along the way."

Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,965,652 times
Remember that it really isn't all that difficult to get married. Look around you at Walmart and take note of the married couples -- would YOU settle for that? Would waking up to that every morning until death do you part make you happy? Heh. Seriously, when you find yourself feeling badly about being single, head to Walmart or the mall and just watch. You will see precious few attractive married couples who seem happy to be together. It will make you grateful to be on your own!

Don't ever, EVER settle just because society pushes marriage on everyone. Relish your freedom to do, eat, and buy whatever you want, when you want. Travel, develop your talents, learn and grow. To thine own self be true. While you're enjoying life to the fullest, you will be happy and others will notice. They will want to be in your presence. You just may attract someone very special and find yourself in a wonderful relationship. But the beauty of it is that you can also be secure and happy on your own.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,734,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
The best advice ever given to me was my aunt who didn't marry until she was over 40 years old...

"Just live your life the way you'd want to, find the job you want to work, travel to places you want to visit, and do the things you want to do. If you find someone along the way that will undoubtedly make you happy and have many things in common with, then consider it a bonus. Life is too short to spend time being down about not having someone. You will most likely find someone along the way."
best advice ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships