Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
He's been divorced for 8 years, and I am separating from my husband. Although I'd like to save my marriage & have sought counseling for several years, circumstances are so bad that we just need to be apart.
Just a piece of advice...finish one relationship completely before you take on another. If you take the time to do that you're life will be infinitely easier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 PM

The "losing your virginity" thread made me think of this one again

Old 12-17-2009, 09:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Aaaah o to lost loves....but without them we wouldn't have fond memories.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Aaaah o to lost loves....but without them we wouldn't have fond memories.
I know, I know!!

I am still friends with my high school sweetheart, which is really nice

Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I know, I know!!

Me too, the engaged one. lol

Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
I know, I know!!

Haven't been friends with -- in fact, have never seen again -- my high school sweetheart since she told me she wanted a divorce and then left 10 minutes later, bag already packed and apartment already set up elsewhere. The best part is that she invited her parents down from Wisconsin to stand there and watch it all go down. Nothing like getting dumped by the love of your life in front of an audience. That had quite a damping effect on any "fond memories."

Just as well, I'm considerably better off now.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
My sister and her husband were high school sweethearts. She was young and wild and broke his heart. He was 3 years older, more serious and wanted to go to med school. He went off to college and eventually married someone from school. She did the same. Over the years members of each of our families would run into one another and word would always get back to one that the other had asked about them, but they never ran into each other

Well, the years went by until they were in their late 30's, early 40's - each divorced. She now an RN and him a doc. At a Mardi Gras parade on Fat Tuesday in the heart of New Orleans, in the middle of thousands of people, they ran into each other on the street. They spent the next 3 hours huddled together against a building so they could hear each other talk amidst all the noise and craziness. My mother was there that day and said you could literally see the sparks flying

They lived in separate states but became inseparable. Within a year, they were married

That was 12 years ago and I've never seen a stronger marriage or happier people.

It's nice when there can be a happy ending!

True love does exist.....

Old 09-08-2011, 02:31 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilgirl420 View Post
If you get back together with an ex it may be fine for a while, but the reason behind the first break up will rear its ugly little head and will become the reason for you to break up again. The only exception to the rule is if you broke up because of time abd circumstance. Take a long hard look before venturing down that road again. You don't want to waste anymore time with somone you know will not be good for you.
Often though, it's not an ugly problem that breaks up high school or college sweethearts; it's imaturity or wanting to experience life without being ties down to a relationship, all perfectly good reasons for taking a break. It doesn't mean you don't love one another; to the contrary, it seems letting go means you love them enough to truly care about their happiness.

And when maturity grows and time goes on, it seems the basic flame of true love ignites.....and forever after happens.........like the Beatles said: All We Need Is Love

Old 09-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinniaDreamer View Post
True love does exist.....

Yes it does

Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
I was looking at Donna Hanover's book, My Boyfriend's Back: 50 True Stories of Reconnecting with a Long-Lost Love, which is the story of getting back with her high school sweetheart after more than 20 years. Reading a few of the stories made me wonder how common this is.

I recently heard from my college sweetheart, from 20 years ago. Although we only talked on the phone, the feelings are still there...

Has this ever happened to any of you? What became of it?
This is exactly where I am now. My JR. High sweetheart who later became my wife, then my ex wife and now, 20 years after we broke up we are getting together again. The relationship goes back to 1979. 32 years. I have never felt the way I feel about her with anyone else...and her timing in this was...phenomenal. How it ends up...well...ain't that far yet. I will let you know.o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships