Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,962,287 times

Advertisements

A girl I dated very very very seriously my freshman year in college looked me up on Facebook back in February. It was actually a really good experience, because I had always been bothered by the way we broke up. As it turns out, she was two years younger than me and her incredibly controlling parents didn't want her dating a boy in college--despite the fact that I was a total gentleman with her. I had always wondered what the hell happened. I had been devastated when she broke up with me, because we had been like peas and carrots. Then one day, poof, we weren't dating anymore. After she graduated high school and went to college, she tried looking me up once or twice and couldn't find me.

We caught up on our lives and that was about it. It was interesting how our lives and interests had followed very parallel tracks even after thirty years. Even though I wonder about her motivations for looking me up, I'm glad she did because it really resolved a lot of questions I had about our relationship. However, as is my policy, I did tell MrsCPG all about it. And if this woman comes to town to visit her parents in June, she's invited the both of us to dinner. It ought to be an interesting night. Actually something tells me that she and MrsCPG would get along.

That being said, I really discourage further conversations with her online. While I love and worship my wife, the last thing I want to do is court trouble.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-17-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,073,186 times
I love these stories! I think we all all have someone we wonder "what if" about.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM

391 posts, read 685,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post

Has this ever happened to any of you? What became of it?
I've had that happen TO me when someone I was interested in
stopped communicating for 3-months.

Suddenly she gushed to me about hooking back up with someone
from their past 30-years ago.

The highlights, for her at least, seemed to be the following:

- that he still had all his hair
- that he was now obese but she could deal with that
- that she discovered she was still in love with him

Not sure what she meant by the "deal" comment. Seems to me
"accept" would have been a better word if she had to make a
comment about that.

I was done with the situation when I learned all this. She claimed
to be sad I was bowing out but I'm not hanging around in the
background as the backup plan.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,088,329 times
The only reason I would want my ex back in my life (and some of them are) is because I was usually with them because I thought they were neat people, and I enjoy their company and their friendship...not because I want to hop back into the sack or a relationship with them.

But I am in my 30s. The reasons it didn't work out are still pretty much there. It's not like 30 years later and everyone is an entirely different person...but by then, I think I would be even less interested.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,849,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The only reason I would want my ex back in my life (and some of them are) is because I was usually with them because I thought they were neat people, and I enjoy their company and their friendship...not because I want to hop back into the sack or a relationship with them.

But I am in my 30s. The reasons it didn't work out are still pretty much there. It's not like 30 years later and everyone is an entirely different person...but by then, I think I would be even less interested.
That is usually the issue. For my hubby and me, we really only broke up because we felt obligated to, being in different colleges and living different lives. When we ran into each other again, we had grown in the same direction, and clicked immediately as if we never broke up.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,345,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A girl I dated very very very seriously my freshman year in college looked me up on Facebook back in February. It was actually a really good experience, because I had always been bothered by the way we broke up. As it turns out, she was two years younger than me and her incredibly controlling parents didn't want her dating a boy in college--despite the fact that I was a total gentleman with her. I had always wondered what the hell happened. I had been devastated when she broke up with me, because we had been like peas and carrots. Then one day, poof, we weren't dating anymore. After she graduated high school and went to college, she tried looking me up once or twice and couldn't find me.

We caught up on our lives and that was about it. It was interesting how our lives and interests had followed very parallel tracks even after thirty years. Even though I wonder about her motivations for looking me up, I'm glad she did because it really resolved a lot of questions I had about our relationship. However, as is my policy, I did tell MrsCPG all about it. And if this woman comes to town to visit her parents in June, she's invited the both of us to dinner. It ought to be an interesting night. Actually something tells me that she and MrsCPG would get along.

That being said, I really discourage further conversations with her online. While I love and worship my wife, the last thing I want to do is court trouble.
Wise man, you knew where to draw the line

Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,962,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wise man, you knew where to draw the line
Hey, I'm not stupid. But I will admit to being flattered. This girl totally rocked my world. Then again, so does my wife. And she's handier with sharp objects.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,849,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hey, I'm not stupid. But I will admit to being flattered. This girl totally rocked my world. Then again, so does my wife. And she's handier with sharp objects.
Since *I* am the one that rocked my hubby's world and came back into his life (if I do say so myself), I have no worries if some other old flame contacted my hubby...

Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM

19,603 posts, read 20,051,089 times
I'm actually going through something similar here, though a physical reconnection hasn't happened, as there are currently a couple minor obstacles. But that actually works out perfectly fine, since it means we have to take things a bit slower. We're both pretty much losing our heads..lol, I love it. Who knows what will happen, time will tell. I trust in that.

But I must say, to my surprise, we've both found that type of bond is truly indestructable. I've never had that with anyone else, it's an incredible feeling.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:19 PM

900 posts, read 1,697,722 times
I have heard mostly bad stories regarding this , nerdy guy , who is no longer a nerd meeting up with popular girl who is no longer young , one night stand where he leads her to believe much more is between them. This sort of thing.
Also , a friend of mine married 15 years was left by her husband , who had a wandering eye , for his high school sweetheart. He left het , the kids , the dogs. Everything to move across the country to be with this lady and her son. I think the couple is doing ok , she handles what little money he has left after wages were garnished for child and spousal support . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships