Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:42 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've ever intimidated anyone. I'm five feet tall, and pretty quiet and reserved until I really get to know people. I am very sarcastic and opinionated at times, which might turn some people off. I once dated a guy who couldn't deal with my personality...I believe he called me hostile. In my defense, we were walking around downtown and I made a negative comment about the bible thumpers standing on the corner yelling at everyone...I think I was justified in saying something. LOL

I've also dated guys who claimed to like my sarcasm. I am what I am, and don't see myself changing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
I think intimidation is a double edged sword. For a business woman it can be a very beneficial tool, especially if u working in an environment of men who will walk all over u if u r somewhat intimidating. However, in the romance department it is a serious stumbling block. I guess u have to find away to balance work from play, but if u r intimidating professionally it is hard to turn it off when u want ur gentler side to show forth.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
well, I have frown lines between my brows which I know makes others think I'm either mad or mean...neither of which is usually the case. Can't take Botox...so I guess I'm stuck. Cause I'm female, I try to wear soft make up, hair style to offset the "frowns" but it doesn't always work. My mom had the same exact lines, so I guess it's genetic.

I've sort of learned that I have to swing way over to the "sweet" side, which seems extreme and uncomfortable to me, but others seems to like it.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:10 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I've been told I'm intimidating for some of the same reasons. I basically act like your typical alpha male half of the time... super motivated, aggressive, competitive, direct, likes to get things done, etc. Plus, I can be somewhat of a ball buster sometimes... I call people out on their BS.

People tell me that I would be the perfect guy LOL. I'm learning to tone some of those traits down and be warmer and more gracious.
So you beat other people up, win belching contests and arm wrestle other guys?

Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Anybody with a Moderator title is.
You trying to get into trouble?

Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
I've been told I am, by men and women. Even by women I thought were intimidating. I'm also pretty tall, and half Polish. It's genetically impossible for me to look anything but less than impressed, even if I am. (It's the droopy eyelids I think).
I can be pretty sarcastic, but am also a little shy. I guess it's a combination that doesn't go down well sometimes, especially when others around are loudly gregarious.
But once you get to know me, why, I'm just a purrin' kitten.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Does anyone on the board ever run into a pattern, where people (of the opposite sex) always tell you that you are "intimidating?"

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

How does a person use this characteristic to their advantage in social situations, without causing others to 'clam up' ?
I'm an affable guy. But I'm told I have a gaze so intense it could drive nails. One colleague told me that I have the ability to stare deep into people's souls and tell them what they're thinking.

It comes in very handy in business meetings when you're presenting.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Does anyone on the board ever run into a pattern, where people (of the opposite sex) always tell you that you are "intimidating?"

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

How does a person use this characteristic to their advantage in social situations, without causing others to 'clam up' ?
I've gotten told this on numerous ocassions. I've been working full-time since I was 19 and been on my own since I was 19 as well. Always kept a good job, nice vehicle, and always kept myself up. SOME men, for some odd reason, seem to think my independence is intimidating, but whatever. Their loss, not mine. One guy told me "I've never in my life been scared of a woman until I met you"....I looked at him like WTF???

Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times
Women do find me very intimidating, as I'm 6 foot 4 and a fit build, my current goatee adds more too......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships