Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 AM

216 posts, read 667,975 times

Advertisements

I think the divorce rate is high for a variety of reasons:
1) Children born out of wedlock are not exposed to marriage so they don't have a good idea on what a happy marriage "looks like" and this inhibits them from making good choices in partners.
2) Many people think it's a right to be happy all of the time in a marriage. Those who are married in church for instance, take vows "for better or worse". Happiness in marriage is not guaranteed.
3) Couples get pregnant and marry. Not the ideal situation.
4) Lust. Attraction, great sex life but not a good foundation for life with someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,137,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
I think the divorce rate is high for a variety of reasons:
1) Children born out of wedlock are not exposed to marriage so they don't have a good idea on what a happy marriage "looks like" and this inhibits them from making good choices in partners.
2) Many people think it's a right to be happy all of the time in a marriage. Those who are married in church for instance, take vows "for better or worse". Happiness in marriage is not guaranteed.
3) Couples get pregnant and marry. Not the ideal situation.
4) Lust. Attraction, great sex life but not a good foundation for life with someone.
1) Children in UNhappy marriages grow up believing THAT is a marriage.

2)Being miserable and suffering all the time is not good either...people have a right to expect happiness.

3)Couples get married, pop out 3,4, 5 kids right away without thinking about it first...not good either

4)Lust is bad? Sorry but that is WHY men and women get together...a great sex life is part of a good foundation, great sex makes people HAPPY....

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM

216 posts, read 667,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
1) Children in UNhappy marriages grow up believing THAT is a marriage. Agreed. This is why people should make better choices in who they marry.

2)Being miserable and suffering all the time is not good either...people have a right to expect happiness. There will always be some conflict in marriage. People need to first make better choices in who they marry and secondly develop better compromising and communication skills. I think many people who divorce could have saved their marriages if they knew how to or sought professional help to.

3)Couples get married, pop out 3,4, 5 kids right away without thinking about it first...not good either. Agreed

4)Lust is bad? Sorry but that is WHY men and women get together...a great sex life is part of a good foundation, great sex makes people HAPPY....
Lust is not bad, but a good sex life is not enough to sustain a marriage for life. I've known married couples with great sex lives but who otherwise, did not like being with each other.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:56 PM

241 posts, read 267,287 times
Because the stigma is gone, thank goodness people can leave abusive or cheating spouses without being shamed or worse.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,178,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
Because the stigma is gone, thank goodness people can leave abusive or cheating spouses without being shamed or worse.
I wouldn't question people leaving for these reasons, but I guess I would question why cheating in the first place (that is the immature and/or selfish part people have talked about here...the "I want to be thrilled all the time" attitude) And don't forget all the other divorces that don't have cheating or abuse involved.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
People stayed together in marriage when they lived to be 30-40.
Now you live to be 80 or more.
Who wants to be with the same person for 40 or 50 years.
Many would just wish that they died young; divorce is so much easier.

Why is divorce so expensive?
Because it's worth it.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:40 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,100,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
60 percent of marriages now end in divorce. The US court system is gender biased and men are screwed 75 percent in most cases.

I have a feeling as generations go by, its going to get much worse.

To answer your question, people want the wedding, they just don;t stick around long enough for the marriage to kick in.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:43 PM

326 posts, read 429,656 times
I think people in this country likes the idea of marriage and they are really fast to pull the trigger. So many marriages fail because parties did not think of it thoroughly in the first place.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,567,486 times
Because the gays ruined the "institute of marriage".

Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,239,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who wants to be with the same person for 40 or 50 years
MANY people want to be with their spouse for 40 / 50 or more years.

I'd suggest you check your cynicism at the door and realize that there are people who actually do LOVE one another - who would do ANYTHING for that other person - who meant what they said when married -- 'til death do us part..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships