Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:13 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

I thought of starting this thread a few days ago, and the relationship exaggeration thread has finally prompted me. Great relationships, imo, are not wrought in perfect, sugar-coated lives. They manifest through thoughtfulness and compassion when contending with life's trials; and we all have them.

Re: my dh. No, he's not perfect. We don't have physical intimacy 6x/day. We are not the most beautiful people in the world or have overwhelming monetary riches.

What I do have is a man that will walk through hell with me when needed; that will sacrifice and repriortize his goals to keep me on track. So, I give tribute to my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
You know...this is refreshing...

My DH was a diamond in the rough but I stuck it out and am so glad I did.

We've been together for 28 years. He's ticked me off but made me laugh too.
He'd go to the mat for me as I would for him.
I can live without him but I don't want to.
I can't imagine life without him.

He's my best friend and a keeper.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
ok, good subject.

i'll give it a shot.

when i met my g/f, she was recovering from a severely abusive relationship.
initially we became friends, neither of us were looking for love.
however, love found us, we musta left a door open !!

i really couldn't ask for more from a partner.
she's kind, caring, intelligent, funny, great in the kitchen, great in the bedroom.
we work extremely well together.

sure, she has her own issues, but the good outweighs the bad by 99%.

in the summer, she threw a bit of a wobbly, which seems to have been caused as a result of some sort of PTSD from her ordeal.

to her credit, she fought it, despite coming VERY close a few times, she never gave up on us.
she stepped back to get a clearer look at things, and now she has, we're getting back to normal.

all this, as well as dealing with the final year of her phd, and falling behind with that project because of the PTSD.

she's working very hard to put the feelings of blame, and guilt behind her, and is now getting professional help. she's pulling it all back together.

she's a fighter, she's real brave, and i'm real proud of her.
i tell her that as often as i can.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post

she's working very hard to put the feelings of blame, and guilt behind her, and is now getting professional help. she's pulling it all back together.

she's a fighter, she's real brave, and i'm real proud of her.
i tell her that as often as i can.
That's the kind of real stuff that makes a relationship worth while.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I'm so happy for you kids. *sniffle*

Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm so happy for you kids. *sniffle*
Me, too. Really! It's nice to know good relationships do exist.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I knew my wife for five years before I ever asked her out (that's a whole other story). We were married two months later. She has her faults, as do I. However, compared to what I was married to before for 25 years she's like a breath of fresh air.

I actually have to remind her to nag me about things I need to get done. She's a good cook. She truly loves my five children and "our" six grandchildren from them. She's kind, doesn't hold grudges and readily accepts apologies when offered and appropriate. She hates drama and despises shopping. Best of all, she thinks and communicates like a man - direct, logical, short and sweet.

She is my educational, spiritual, and intellectual equal and was my professional one as well before we both retired.

One could do a lot worse. I know. I have in the past!

Besides, she's kinda cute for an old fart.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
I'll bite.

My husband of 2 months is also wonderful but the type of guy most of my single girlfriends would have quickly passed up on because he doesn't have a college degree, isn't pulling in big bucks, not into fashion, clubbing, drinking or a party lifestyle. And while I had my issues early on, we worked through them and he's turned out to be everything I could ever want and more.

He is a fantastic cook and could cook every day. He loves it! He makes me laugh out loud on the regular and will do anything to cheer me up. Once when we were dating and I was feeling down, he drove up to my house in the middle of the night (and he lived a half hour away) just to leave a love letter on my car reiterating how much he loves me, supports me and is there for me. Everyday is greeted with a kiss, he's a snuggler and very affectionate. He's proud of me and loves to show me off to his friends and family. He tells me and shows me often how much he loves me and says I'm the best thing to happen to him.

He has been such a blessing in my life. Now my single friends ask if he has a brother! LOL

Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,191,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I knew my wife for five years before I ever asked her out (that's a whole other story). We were married two months later. She has her faults, as do I. However, compared to what I was married to before for 25 years she's like a breath of fresh air.

I actually have to remind her to nag me about things I need to get done. She's a good cook. She truly loves my five children and "our" six grandchildren from them. She's kind, doesn't hold grudges and readily accepts apologies when offered and appropriate. She hates drama and despises shopping. Best of all, she thinks and communicates like a man - direct, logical, short and sweet.

She is my educational, spiritual, and intellectual equal and was my professional one as well before we both retired.

One could do a lot worse. I know. I have in the past!

Besides, she's kinda cute for an old fart.
Deary me. Lucky bugger you are, eh, that's for sure. I'm happy for you, and I hope I find a woman with those same characteristics as well.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,191,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I'll bite.

My husband of 2 months is also wonderful but the type of guy most of my single girlfriends would have quickly passed up on because he doesn't have a college degree, isn't pulling in big bucks, not into fashion, clubbing, drinking or a party lifestyle. And while I had my issues early on, we worked through them and he's turned out to be everything I could ever want and more.

He is a fantastic cook and could cook every day. He loves it! He makes me laugh out loud on the regular and will do anything to cheer me up. Once when we were dating and I was feeling down, he drove up to my house in the middle of the night (and he lived a half hour away) just to leave a love letter on my car reiterating how much he loves me, supports me and is there for me. Everyday is greeted with a kiss, he's a snuggler and very affectionate. He's proud of me and loves to show me off to his friends and family. He tells me and shows me often how much he loves me and says I'm the best thing to happen to him.

He has been such a blessing in my life. Now my single friends ask if he has a brother! LOL
He's the type of fella many women pass up on and don't give a second look. You were smarter than that and you've found yourself a diamond, and I'm happy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships