Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:59 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times

Advertisements

do any of you singles have friends who always seem to push the relationship thing on you or make you feel inadequate because you haven't met anyone special yet?

First of all, I'm only 23 and yesterday when I saw my best friend after not seeing her for 2 months, almost the entire night, she went on about how she doesn't understand why I haven't met anyone (she says a "pretty" girl like me should have met someone by now) and how she wants to set me up with anyone she deems as "right" for me. I got out of a 3 1/2 year on again/off again relationship for good this past May and am just now feeling comfortable enough to start dating again. she went as far as saying how every guy who has approached me (in a club/bar no less who are at times creepers), I sort of push them away, when I've only pushed the creepy ones away, the rest of them I carry on in conversation with and whatever happens from there, is what it is. I told her that what matters ultimately, with me, is the chemistry I have with someone, no matter how "right" she thinks someone may be, and she still wouldn't stop. I am not surrounded by men on a daily basis, I live in a military/college town and we all know how both categories of men typically can be with the exceptional ones being hard to find. she found her exception only 6 months after her engagement was broken off with her ex and I feel like she expects me to sort of have the same luck. She claims she was trying to help me..I told her I was offended, as if I MUST be miserable because I don't have anyone to go home to, which I'm not, but I sure was miserable being criticized like that.

I'm getting to a point where I can't relate to my friends who are in serious relationships/married because most of them seem to have this attitude with me of "how can you be single if you're hot? you must be putting these guys off" or they assume I'm doing something wrong...they use those words even. Its beginning to be hurtful and they sometimes don't do things with me because they have their boyfriends/husbands to do it with and then they wonder why I can't meet people..I have very few people to go on outings with so I do everything by myself.

I know I can just ignore them, and I do, but in the moment when I'm faced with it, it deeply offends me.

Anyone else been in my shoes before? or am I the only one who's dealt with this at only 23 years old...another that's beyond me..but that's how it is in a town where everyone's married by 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 04:01 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
I think you should do what you want, not what others think you should do. Dating to a degree is just a common norm, and nobody needs a date/SO to be happy.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Isn't this mainly a "problem" for men over 35?

Old 12-17-2009, 04:20 PM

haha, I do do what I want, but my friend disagrees with it, like I am supposed to be dating because she thinks I'm attractive enough to have men lining up everywhere. I haven't had much of a chance to do the things I enjoy doing because of all the crap I've had to deal with the past few years, so I'm taking the time to enjoy myself now and get my life in the order I want it in. It is the norm, you're right, and I do date, but I just haven't come across anyone lately that I am interested in. If someone asks me out, I'll go out, but that doesn't guarantee he'll become a boyfriend obviously. That, and I'm not surrounded by that many available men all the time.

Redneck-I thought it was a problem for them too! not a 23 year old female..meh..lol

Old 12-17-2009, 04:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
You're only 23 and I remember glancing on the Menver board about your moving plans.

You have plenty of time, you have nothing to worry about.

Staying single in one's youth is fun, actually.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You're only 23 and I remember glancing on the Menver board about your moving plans.

You have plenty of time, you have nothing to worry about.

Staying single in one's youth is fun, actually.
haha, thanks! I may have to cancel moving anywhere for now . Things aren't adding up financially and I'm having problems with one of my jobs that transfer...I was really excited about Denver too, but I definitely plan to go visit, it sounds like a beautiful place that I'll never want to leave! Maybe I'll meet nice men on my travels! haha..usually how it goes with me for some reason.

and you're right, with the right friends to cause mayhem with, I definitely have a great time being single. I just get offended in those moments where I get criticized by my taken friends.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
IMO, after a 3 year relationship, it's time for "you time" now; you've got plenty of time to be "taken"...go enjoy being single!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:34 PM

haha, thanks Lady! My friend went through a 3 year relationship too, was engaged to him, and found her current b/f after 6 months. Her opinion is still that I have no excuse...but I'm glad to know plenty of people agree with my stance!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I think you should do what you want, not what others think you should do. Dating to a degree is just a common norm, and nobody needs a date/SO to be happy.
Seriously, it doesn't really ever stop, so you have to be cool with just doing what YOU want and not worry about others. When you ARE in a relationship, trust me, those same people will be the ones who will move on to "Why aren't you engaged/married? YOU NEED TO BE!!!!"

Old 12-17-2009, 06:13 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,443 times
Wait until you get married. Then they will start bugging you to have kids. It's so annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships