Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I certainly don't know much about this "culture," but based on what I hear on this forum many seem to think that 7-10+ (no idea about the limit) hours a week spent in a gym is something normal. That means 2 hours a day taking 10 as an average, excluding weekends. Of course, I exclude weekends to simplify the math... they probably don't. You tell me when you get to see this person at all! How do you travel with this person? How do you even take weekend getaways? They'd probably insist on staying in a hotel with a gym. Hey, perhaps gyms should be built along the rest stops so you can perhaps take some trips with your maniac! Thanks, but no thanks. I'd be perfectly happy with somebody with less than perfect body who can actually go out with me and do things. Like anything else, to each their own, but I'm not about to worship at the shrine of somebody's body.

That 7-10+ would be including weekends for an INTENSE person, not the average, moderate gym-goer. The average gym-goer spends about an hour and fifteen minutes involved with the gym, INCLUDING changing clothes, preparations and warm-ups. People who spend longer are either into major routines OR also swimming, hitting the sauna, treadmills, what have you.

To each their own.

However, I know that back when I was doing this as part of my lifestyle I was averaging an hour a day in the gym including changing and warmups, and my wife complained it was too much for her. On top of that BECAUSE I was in great shape, I'd hear at work things like "Well SURE you can look like that if you want to spend all day at the gym. I'd rather have a life!"

Blatant assumption about my time in the gym and an automatic leap to the most silly, far-fetched notions regarding my quality of life.

It's a common bit of nonsense. Unless you're into some very, very advanced routines OR you're contest-prepping, more than 1.25 hours in the gym is COUNTER-productive. Now that's not a 100 percent call, some people tolerate high-intensity, lengthy workouts better than others, but it's a very SAFE call.

People needlessly give the gym a bad rap and often it's because either they're secretly intimidated by those in shape OR they're using the rap to justify their own laziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:32 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
The short answer: Women are aroused by muscles and what seems to be an overt indication of strength.

And much as we want to fuss about women and what they say they want versus the overt displays of what they want, we don't get to suppress 4.5 million years of evolution over a couple of decades -- period.
I think its also social as well

In my parents day it was taboo to be a huge workout head..Lean and even SKinny were what sold to women moreso then bigger

Today bigger is better in every way for Men..Youre almost better off being a little overweight then skinny these days

Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
IMO you may be insecure if you feel the need to refer to muscular men as "closet gays", "very self centered", and "total douches". But hey - if it makes you feel like a better man to put others down, then go for it. Have you ever actually spoken with any of those guys? You might want to strike up a conversation with one of them sometime. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that they are probably just average guys who work out a lot. I find a man who cares about his body to be extremely appealing, because I care about mine. We're on the same wavelength as far as body consciousness goes.
It's a classic case of envy is his description. They got something I don't, so I'll belittle them. It does not work.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:08 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I have never been into Muscular guy , toned yes of course but muscular in the sense of having a six pack and veins on the arms no. I actually find men who work out a lot quite a turn off sexually and psychologically. I like men who look natural and get their physique from being outdoors rather in a Gym... Men who are not fitness fanatics and health nuts but simply lead a healthy life-style. Things like sailing, skiing, etc...

I have met so many men who spend hours a day in the Gym and most are awful narcissists, and incredibly vain. Being in a relationship with someone like that holds no interest. They would probably spend more time in the bathroom than out of it. One does not have to be a Gym-Bunny to look good. A healthy outdoors lifestyle will do that. Walking, rowing etc...

I actually quite like men with a little extra meat on, more to love.... And as a foodie a man who spends his time counting calories, carbohydrates etc... would simply be way too dull. Everything in moderation and all that.

As for men who do body-building I simply will never get it. I find their bodies hideous. Quite revolting in fact.

We all have different tastes, my most important criteria in a man is whether he bores me or not. Then whether he is a good man, kind and considerate, loving and loyal. Anything else is a bonus.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
That 7-10+ would be including weekends for an INTENSE person, not the average, moderate gym-goer. The average gym-goer spends about an hour and fifteen minutes involved with the gym, INCLUDING changing clothes, preparations and warm-ups. People who spend longer are either into major routines OR also swimming, hitting the sauna, treadmills, what have you.

To each their own.

However, I know that back when I was doing this as part of my lifestyle I was averaging an hour a day in the gym including changing and warmups, and my wife complained it was too much for her. On top of that BECAUSE I was in great shape, I'd hear at work things like "Well SURE you can look like that if you want to spend all day at the gym. I'd rather have a life!"

Blatant assumption about my time in the gym and an automatic leap to the most silly, far-fetched notions regarding my quality of life.

It's a common bit of nonsense. Unless you're into some very, very advanced routines OR you're contest-prepping, more than 1.25 hours in the gym is COUNTER-productive. Now that's not a 100 percent call, some people tolerate high-intensity, lengthy workouts better than others, but it's a very SAFE call.

People needlessly give the gym a bad rap and often it's because either they're secretly intimidated by those in shape OR they're using the rap to justify their own laziness.
My job is physical. They pay ME to work out, instead of me paying out money for the "privilege" of exercising. I never really saw the need for a gym. I walk everywhere I go, I work a physical job--no gym required.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Oh there is nothing like a good looking man with huge biceps!! It literally takes my breath away (only in person, not pics). Most muscular men are hot. I have met muscular men that arent douche bags, but yeah most of them are.
Waves hand, not a douchebag. Been into bodybuilding for 8-9 years. Started out being fat with bad self-esteem, and now look and feel 10 times better about myself. I get a lot of attention when I go out, sometimes it's uncomfortable.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I certainly don't know much about this "culture," but based on what I hear on this forum many seem to think that 7-10+ (no idea about the limit) hours a week spent in a gym is something normal. That means 2 hours a day taking 10 as an average, excluding weekends. Of course, I exclude weekends to simplify the math... they probably don't. You tell me when you get to see this person at all! How do you travel with this person? How do you even take weekend getaways? They'd probably insist on staying in a hotel with a gym. Hey, perhaps gyms should be built along the rest stops so you can perhaps take some trips with your maniac! Thanks, but no thanks. I'd be perfectly happy with somebody with less than perfect body who can actually go out with me and do things. Like anything else, to each their own, but I'm not about to worship at the shrine of somebody's body.
I go to the gym about 12 hours a week. We take weekend getaways but those are usually spent hiking or I get up a little earlier and go for a run or use the hotel gym. I will pay more to stay at a hotel with a gym if possible and so we just look for one. We also usually don't rent cars on our vacations so we can walk everywhere. We see each other all the time and its not big deal. The key is to wake up early in the morning or go right after work. On the weekends I set an alarm so that I get up and am done with my workout before my husband even gets out of bed. We then have the whole day together.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:44 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I go to the gym about 12 hours a week. We take weekend getaways but those are usually spent hiking or I get up a little earlier and go for a run or use the hotel gym. I will pay more to stay at a hotel with a gym if possible and so we just look for one. We also usually don't rent cars on our vacations so we can walk everywhere. We see each other all the time and its not big deal. The key is to wake up early in the morning or go right after work. On the weekends I set an alarm so that I get up and am done with my workout before my husband even gets out of bed. We then have the whole day together.
12 hours? You mentioned in another thread you have a BMI of 22 and you are 5'6 which puts you roughly at 138-140. 12 hours a week, either you are pure muscle or on your way down to 115? Just curious, I love fitness.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
12 hours? You mentioned in another thread you have a BMI of 22 and you are 5'6 which puts you roughly at 138-140. 12 hours a week, either you are pure muscle or on your way down to 115? Just curious, I love fitness.
I'm roughly 136-137 lbs. I maintain my weight. You can see my picture album...I'm have muscular legs and calves and muscle tone in my arms, but I'm not ripped or anything. I'm just me...

Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I'm roughly 136-137 lbs. I maintain my weight. You can see my picture album...I'm have muscular legs and calves and muscle tone in my arms, but I'm not ripped or anything. I'm just me...
I love fitness too by the way! I love lifting, running, hiking, you name it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships