Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 AM

195 posts, read 293,639 times

Advertisements

Remember that 1970s Song, "Fooled around and fell in love"?

Elvin Bishop – Fooled Around And Fell In Love – Video & free listening at Last.fm

Those were the days, pre AIDS, where lots of my friends use to go to the Disco and dance and went home with a different girl every night. There seemed to be an unwritten code that once one of my male friends had "bedded down" one of the regular girls at the bar/disco they would never have anything to do with each other again because there was new prey to go after.

Though every once in a while a one night stand would lead to some type of connection and maybe love. Did this ever happen to you? (Fooled around and feel in love)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Remember that 1970s Song, "Fooled around and fell in love"?

Elvin Bishop – Fooled Around And Fell In Love – Video & free listening at Last.fm

Those were the days, pre AIDS, where lots of my friends use to go to the Disco and dance and went home with a different girl every night. There seemed to be an unwritten code that once one of my male friends had "bedded down" one of the regular girls at the bar/disco they would never have anything to do with each other again because there was new prey to go after.

Though every once in a while a one night stand would lead to some type of connection and maybe love. Did this ever happen to you? (Fooled around and feel in love)
The first real love I experienced started this way. In fact, I wasn't really interested in the person in the beginning.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
It's like that other saying from back then, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,261 times
Another great testament to the power of AIDS; The ability to end disco music permanently.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
pre AIDS, where lots of my friends use to go to the Disco and dance and went home with a different girl every night. There seemed to be an unwritten code that once one of my male friends had "bedded down" one of the regular girls at the bar/disco they would never have anything to do with each other again because there was new prey to go after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Another great testament to the power of AIDS; The ability to end disco music permanently.
The "free love" era of the 60s ended abruptly with the oil embargos and other uncertainties of the mid 70s. Prices were rising rapidly and jobs that kept up were scarce. Young women adjusted their hunting territories and for a while, discos where the territory of choice. Good-looking men who could afford to spend much time there were likely to have a source of wealth.

For guys who hated disco (and most tolerated it at best) the next best thing for the PUA to do, to get regular sex, was to fake a relationship with some of these pickups. Besides, how many could afford repeated shots for STDs?

During that era, some were able to do this with numerous women during a school year and several at one time. College gave them the perfect excuse to schedule them all, since there were always essays or projects to do or exams to study for. The most successful, were supported by parents and never went to school. So to answer the question – it happened a lot – it just led nowhere.

The AIDS era ended all this and by the 80s, women were agitating hard (and quite successfully too) for their “share” of any good jobs. Within a few years, it was not uncommon to find them in such a job and supporting a good-looking layabout. Often it wasn’t completely his fault, since quotas for female hiring (and the frequent recessions) in the 1981 to 95 era gave him little chance – even with a good education.

Male participation in education naturally plummeted and now that 2 good salaries are essential for success, in most places, husband candidates are scarce.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Yeah. It was supposed to be a one-weekend stand and it turned into a marriage. Should've remained a one-weekend stand.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Yup. I met the young one and just figured it would be a one time sex thing and we dated for 3 months. I really cared about him and vice versa. The timing isn't right..Maybe later on it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships