Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,745 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter to me. If she's down to earth, has a great personality, attractive, and most above all...just so happens to have some kind of musical talent, then I'd give an African American woman the same shot as I would a caucasian woman. I will say this though, as a somewhat midwestern-styled male who's big on music and a bit "down home" in nature, the odds of myself being able to connect romantically with a truly urban African American woman is very very slim from both ends of the spectrum. However, if if I'm approached or do the approaching, obviously we're similar in taste and have the same style of personality and interests...so who cares about race and when you have that?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
I think many of the black women I have known are very strong willed and will tell you how it is. Like they will throw down with ya.

A friend and I were walking out of the mall one time and overheard a black woman talking on a cell phone with 4" nails. She was all in the phone like, "You gonna break up wit me on da fone? Oh I don't have feelns...I don't have feelns...umm...oh you... you don't...oh no you ain't."

I swear the guy did it over the phone cause of the nails but I will admit I was scared and I wasn't in trouble with her.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've always kind of wondered what blacks thought when they see someone black acting big time "ghetto". I would think that maybe they might get a little irritated. I often think that they are giving fodder to the racists crowd.

It might be worse for non whites in that respect. I know when I see some "ghetto" white person, you know the type, all red neck and trailer park trash types, I know personally it doesn't "bring" down the white race, like I said maybe non whites might be more sensitive to it.

That reminds me, I was at the store a few weeks ago and this couple was in there, they we're the biggest redneck white trash / tweakers I've ever seen.

I was embarrassed for them.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Not quite getting the rolling eyes????

Old 01-30-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Not quite getting the rolling eyes????
To me, the first post of yours that I quoted was the basic outside-observation-of-black-people post and now this. Comedy.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Yeah Chow,

trust me...lot's of blacks such as myself feel the same way you did when you encountered the rednecks. Many of the higher caliber blacks react the same way when it comes to "less polished" blacks.

You make a valid point about giving fodder.....you're spot on. Same holds true for the ultra pro black crowd that say some of the most foolish things about whites.

Chow you're a reasonable person and you and I both know that "trash" exists in all races. Unfortunately for blacks, the trashy blacks get more attention than the black Doctor's and business owner's.

That's what I dislike the most. There are A LOT of very successful black's in this country but you'd never know it unless you ran in those circles.

And I'm not talking about celebs and athletes neither.

To bad I can't REP you.

Ron

Quote:
I've always kind of wondered what blacks thought when they see someone black acting big time "ghetto". I would think that maybe they might get a little irritated. I often think that they are giving fodder to the racists crowd.

It might be worse for non whites in that respect. I know when I see some "ghetto" white person, you know the type, all red neck and trailer park trash types, I know personally it doesn't "bring" down the white race, like I said maybe non whites might be more sensitive to it.

That reminds me, I was at the store a few weeks ago and this couple was in there, they we're the biggest redneck white trash / tweakers I've ever seen.

I was embarrassed for them.

Last edited by Ron.; 01-31-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
LOL, some black comedian was joking around about how when he sees some killer he's hoping it isn't someone black.
LOL.......that's very real. The upper crust blacks pray like hell it's not one of "us".

Not saying we want it to be someone white.............but you get the point.

Blacks, like myself and many other hard working blacks get really tired of having to deal with the burden's of the blacks that want to mess it up for everyone else including whites.

Chow, that gets old and you just get tired of it........I can speak for other blacks when I say this. MANY of us work our tails off trying NOT to live up to the stereotypes.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Unfortunately for blacks, the trashy blacks get more attention than the black Doctor's and business owner's.
It is unfortunate, Ron. The trashy ones usually, in my experience, make spectacles of themselves in the way they dress, all the bling, grills, saggin' & flaggin', throwin' out signs, etc. They're usually loud and obnoxious, trying to call attention to themselves, yelling and screaming at one another and into their cellphones. It's decidedly off-putting and too many think it's characteristic of all blacks. Add to that the stereotypical and self-professed "angry black woman" and you get a slice of black society that, while it doesn't typify black culture in America, over-shadows the hard working, educated, professional and successful elements.

This country has a long way to go.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 AM

It's always funny when some black people are so worried about what non-blacks are thinking of black people as a whole. It's seen in the last couple of pages in this thread: black people talking about how disappointed they are when they see other black people acting in the way that you all seem to have such a problem with. Why are you feeling frustrated by something like that? My thing is it is silly to put so much stock into what white people or anyone else for that matter thinks of black people as-a-whole. I mean, you guys are being really judgemental right now and I wonder what gives you the right to sit there are talk about how other people being "ghetto" is so bad for you. If you are anything but that, then you should be able to be who you are and not ever feel associated with those people at all. Basically, some of you sound like the embarrassed black person and to me, black people don't really need that.

If you are the "hard-working, educated, professional and successful" black person than why do you have such fear of being associated with the other end of the spectrum? That sounds like the black people that are ashamed of other black people and start isolating themselves from other black people, in hopes of not being associated with stereotypical black people. If you are black and you are like that, then the black community really doesn't want you.

You may not like hearing this, but some of you in these last couple of pages seem to have some identity issues.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:25 AM

It's much easier to say this when you're not the one in the situation. Blacks really could give a rat's ass about what whites think, seriously. But unfortunately whites are the majority in this country and therefor control A LOT. Which does account for a great deal. Obama as an example.

Why do you think Obama gave his famous race speech? Because there are a lot of whites in this country that STILL have a narrow minded view of blacks. Obama had to put those insecure whites "at ease" in order to get there vote. There has never been 1 white President that has made a speech like that to blacks. I hope you don't think that speech was for all Americans? Yes, it sucks to have those concerns but let's not fool ourselves such as what you're doing. We have to focus on WHAT IS not HOW IT SHOULD BE. The reality of it is SOME whites judge blacks harshly because NEGATIVITY is what many of them see when it comes to blacks.

And you must be naive to think blacks are not all painted with the same brush because often times we are. Any sensible thinking white person will agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
It's always funny when some black people are so worried about what non-blacks are thinking of black people as a whole. It's seen in the last couple of pages in this thread: black people talking about how disappointed they are when they see other black people acting in the way that you all seem to have such a problem with. Why are you feeling frustrated by something like that? My thing is it is silly to put so much stock into what white people or anyone else for that matter thinks of black people as-a-whole. I mean, you guys are being really judgemental right now and I wonder what gives you the right to sit there are talk about how other people being "ghetto" is so bad for you. If you are anything but that, then you should be able to be who you are and not ever feel associated with those people at all. Basically, some of you sound like the embarrassed black person and to me, black people don't really need that.

If you are the "hard-working, educated, professional and successful" black person than why do you have such fear of being associated with the other end of the spectrum? That sounds like the black people that are ashamed of other black people and start isolating themselves from other black people, in hopes of not being associated with stereotypical black people. If you are black and you are like that, then the black community really doesn't want you.

You may not like hearing this, but some of you in these last couple of pages seem to have some identity issues.

Last edited by Ron.; 01-31-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships