Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:35 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Of course we spend a lot of time at work, no kidding. There's a time and place for such questions. Most women asking this question and others like it have ulterior motives, which means they have the issue and not me. If a woman asked me what I did for a living, that would be a red flag because she didn't take the time to get to know me before asking that.

Asking financial/employment-related questions right off the bat is considered to be gold-diggerish, period. Some would agree that if you come right off the bat and ask someone what they did for a living, you're trying to size them up. I'm sure it's the same way for a lot of women; they wouldn't be comfortable revealing what they do for a living at first meet.
I knew a girl who dated a guy she met off the street. He was riding around on a bicycle. Turns out he was homeless with no job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This makes no sense to me. My plumber, who I met for the first time on Friday, asked what I did for a living while in my home. Who cares? The fact that you think such information needs to be withheld for a second date is odd from where I sit. Are you a 007 secret spy? Or, do you have a regular joe blow job like most folk? It's probably the latter and it's a matter of small talk. Ron, OTOH, actually does something very interesting and meaningful for a living. It's too bad he's not in a space to discuss it with others because I imagine his stories would be a boon for anyone listening.

Again, I don't understand this because if you were so private, you wouldn't post it on your page (unless I have you confused with someone else). It's not a big deal here. Why off line? And if it's a matter of money, than you should reconsider the type of women you're dating. Of course, you won't really know the type of women you're dating if you don't ask questions about how they spend their days.
You don't have me confused with no one else. I guess what I'm getting at is this...Not everyone is comfortable enough revealing what they do for a living. I am (my apologies if my posts were contradictory) but not everyone else is.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
CD has a wide range of backgrounds. Perhaps you mentally note specific posts, but even then, I wouldn't say they're representative of CD as a whole. As I mentioned earlier, we have a unique thing here since it's unlikely such a varied group would hang off line. There wouldn't be much opportunity for that of line, imo since, again, and to beat a dead horse, people seem to stick with their own.
no need to look very hard-- how bout the thread that you are on - topic is this very issue, lots of personal info asked but not much given and its the 1st meeting a virtual stranger asking personal questions.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,503 times
A piece of advice for the men; When you date someone I suggest it is a woman you already know. Someone you have already befriended whom you know a fair bit about. Because then you know the kinda woman she is, whether she is a filthy gold digger or a real woman. And then you'd know about what she does for living and she'll know about what you do for a living way before you even ask her out, since you are already friends/associates or whatever.

I've decided to only go out with women once I've befriended them. You already know their line of work, their sense of humour, the type of woman she is etc. and it saves you a lot of time and money, believe me. And if you already liked her as a friend then there's a bigger posibility that you'll like her as a potential girlfriend. Asking random woman out is not the way forward, IMO.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:23 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no need to look very hard-- how bout the thread that you are on - topic is this very issue, lots of personal info asked but not much given and its the 1st meeting a virtual stranger asking personal questions.
Lots of personal info asked where? I must of missed these questions. Please link them. Also, I'm going to take a not so wild guess here and state that it's unlikely any of the women in this thread have interest in you or the other males participating in this thread off line. So, no need for concern.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
You don't have me confused with no one else. I guess what I'm getting at is this...Not everyone is comfortable enough revealing what they do for a living. I am (my apologies if my posts were contradictory) but not everyone else is.
And that's fine. But, it's not an issue held by the person asking.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:

Any way, this begs the question. What do you all do that's so grand that places you into the position to hold such value judgements? Honestly, I've held similar sentiments in the past, but much has changed for me since then.
What do I do? Does it matter? I can be unemployed and still have that view. If a 30-something person plans to make burger flipping his/her career, that's not a person one should be dating unless you plan to pay all the bills yourself. If all one can offer is just barely over minimum wage, that's not a person to get serious about. Sorry, no financial security there. And yes, one has to, or should, consider that when dating someone seriously. It just isn't practical to think you can live on love. You will learn that, too, one day. Love isn't the end-all be-all.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
What do I do? Does it matter? I can be unemployed and still have that view. If a 30-something person plans to make burger flipping his/her career, that's not a person one should be dating unless you plan to pay all the bills yourself. If all one can offer is just barely over minimum wage, that's not a person to get serious about. Sorry, no financial security there. And yes, one has to, or should, consider that when dating someone seriously. It just isn't practical to think you can live on love. You will learn that, too, one day. Love isn't the end-all be-all.
I hope you have a high paying job.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
I hope you have a high paying job.
Why would you say that? I'm curious.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Why would you say that? I'm curious.
She didn't wanna say what she did for a living [ironic considering this thread lol] and if she is earning barely above minimum wage herself then she is hypocritical for dismissing a man who is earning more or less the same as her.

That's like me wanting a woman who looks like Halle Barry whilst I am very average myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships