Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's relevant because it's another stupid question asked by women.
Okay, then, what's your sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,264 times
I have, Ron.

On dates, I had preferred to take the back door in asking men about their jobs by just asking cheerfully, "Do you enjoy your job?" - and let them vomit all the details about what they do, etc. w/o me asking/prying.

There were no interview questions from me until "I have no job" came into play. Tee hee

Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I'm paying the bills, as a single man, why wouldn't I be able to pay them once she came into the picture? Two can live as cheaply as one. Rent doesn't go up, electric bill's the same, etc.
A. That's not true at all. Don't forget food, water, clothes, insurance, cars, toiletries, etc. That old chestnut is a ridiculous fallacy.

B. Don't forget when kids come into the picture. Then the costs really skyrocket.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A. That's not true at all. Don't forget food, water, clothes, insurance, cars, toiletries, etc. That old chestnut is a ridiculous fallacy.

B. Don't forget when kids come into the picture. Then the costs really skyrocket.
Do you know how long it takes me to eat a four pound pork roast by myself? Food can go bad before I manage to finish eating it--not that I don't risk a little food poisoning from time to time...go to work and vomit up the bad stuff.

Water--how would we go through more water? We'd probably go through less, as I would join her in the shower rather than taking baths by myself.

Clothes--I haven't paid out for anything but shoes in the past five years. Probably even longer. I take that back, when I became single, I found myself having to tighten my belt because I lost weight as a single man. So I got one pair of pants that actually fit my waist, instead of having to be belted on.

Car--I don't drive. I don't see a need for either of us TO drive. There are two grocery stores within ten minutes walk from home. Which takes care of the insurance issue too. No car, no insurance.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:54 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I'm paying the bills, as a single man, why wouldn't I be able to pay them once she came into the picture? Two can live as cheaply as one. Rent doesn't go up, electric bill's the same, etc.
My husband would probably chuckle at this statement. I'm his 2nd biggest expense, right behind the mortgage.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
I always asked guys what they did for a living. It was unrelated to how much money they made. I just wanted to know how they spent their day? Did they enjoy it? How did they end up in that job? Did they go to school for it?

Same deal when I dated in college...I always asked what they were studying/majoring in.

As someone else pointed out, it's to see if there's any compatibility, possible common interests or even just to find out what his brain's into. Is he into the arts? Numbers (finance, accounting)? Medicine? History?

Old 12-21-2009, 02:19 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I always asked guys what they did for a living. It was unrelated to how much money they made. I just wanted to know how they spent their day? Did they enjoy it? How did they end up in that job? Did they go to school for it?

Same deal when I dated in college...I always asked what they were studying/majoring in.

As someone else pointed out, it's to see if there's any compatibility, possible common interests or even just to find out what his brain's into. Is he into the arts? Numbers (finance, accounting)? Medicine? History?
But of course. Work is part of our lives and of who we are. It's only natural that someone who might be interested wants to know what we do for a living and why, because it helps get to know the other person and provides additional topics of conversation.

Why is it such a big deal if she really wants to know?

Old 12-21-2009, 02:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Asking someone what they do isn't odd, thats where you spend 1/3 of life, just general question.

What it doesn't tell you is about someones character and values, something only time can reveal.

The dig in and find out as much as possible approach, in as little time as possible to determine if your worthy of a second date, speaks volumes about her. Sounds uptight to me, rather than letting a conversation flow naturally.

If not, just poor at making conversation in general.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
[quote=PassTheChocolate;12112593][quote=Dorrans;12112346]She didn't wanna say what she did for a living [ironic considering this thread lol] and if she is earning barely above minimum wage herself then she is hypocritical for dismissing a man who is earning more or less the same as her.
Quote:

Why is it hypocritical? That would be very limiting in the long run. What if they want children? They wouldn't be able to support them, so that's out. There are plenty of women who work minimum wage jobs who, for one reason or another, have no other options. Should she really resign herself to a life of poverty?

Why would you not be worthy of a Halle Berry because you are average? Who says you shouldn't want and expect to have her?

If you make so much per year, don't you dare expect to be with someone who makes twice as much as you do. Stick to your own kind, financially. Poppycock.
ACK! You people read too much in what I say. What is with the shortage of comprehension here? If I own my own home and my 3 year old car is paid off, I'm making more than minimum wage. And I live modestly, so I don't make a ton of money. I didn't say anything about someone earning less than me. I specifically stated wages of a burger-flipper as a career choice. Sorry, not enough money to live on for one person, nevermind two.

And who's talking about women resigining themselves to poverty? I never said that. There you go, like the other one, putting words in my mouth.

Don't I dare expect to be with someone who makes twice what I do????? HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Too late for that. Of course, I never specified that. There you go, like above, putting words in my mouth. I just said I wouldn't date a career burger-flipper/min. wage earner.

What's with all the confusion?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:08 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,237 times
Didn't Jerry Seinfeld have a bit about how a first date was like a job interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships