Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is texting other friends ok when "hanging out"
It's ok and there should be no limit to how much texting is done 0 0%
It's ok...a couple of times a night 10 40.00%
When "hanging out" with one friend, you should NOT be texting others 15 60.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 AM

271 posts, read 657,290 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm posting this here because this is the closest sub-forum to my question.

My roommate and I are having a disagreement about texting other people when we are hanging out with each other.

When he and I are just "hanging out" with each other (shooting pool, going bowling, etc) is it appropriate for him to be constantly texting other people?

Be aware: I'm not talking about when we are at the house together. (In fact, due to our schedules, that doesn't happen that often) I am talking about when we are out together shooting pool or bowling, which is pretty much all we do together and is initiated by him 99% of the time. (And lasts 3-5 hours/night 1-2 nights per week)

I am not talking about texting people that we both know. Most of the people he texts are friends of his that I may have met 1-2 times but they are not my or our friends...they are his friends.

There is a bit of a generation gap. He's 23 and I'm 42. He's a former foster child and hasn't had much guidance growing up. (He'll readily admit that too). He looks up to me as a mentor and a role model. I just get along with him (and I don't really know why ). There is nothing sexual between us.

Anyway, I want to see what you all think and am attaching a poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Are you romantically interested in your roommate? I'm guilty of texting while I'm out..even though I try to keep it at a minimum but I do it anyway....usually I'll tell the other person who I'm texting and give snippets of the convo or I'll tell the person I'm texting I'm out and I'll call them later.

It doesn't bother when other people do it either....but not much bothers me anyway so I'm prob the wrong person to ask...I shouldn't have responded...delete delete delete

Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
It's incredibly rude and boorish and if I were to be in that situation and the person wouldn't stop doing it even after I asked them I wouldn't go out with them again.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:23 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,265 times
Texting is equivalent to answering your cell phone, to me. If it's necessary (like your boss, your mom, an emergency etc), then yes, text away/answer. Otherwise, it's just rude and shows the other person that they aren't worth your full attention/time.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
It's rude... kind of ADD too.

However, if the person excuses the action like they would if they took a phone call or something like that, I wouldn't be offended by that. Bouncing back and forth between text messages and hanging out, though, is definitely rude.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:29 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's incredibly rude and boorish and if I were to be in that situation and the person wouldn't stop doing it even after I asked them I wouldn't go out with them again.
Agreed. Why should I spend my valuable time watching someone else use a device when I want to have a conversation with them?

One good thing can be said about my family - we all have cellphones, but when it comes to meal time, none of us subject the others to this kind of behavior.

I think texting is contributing to some generations losing their personalities - all one sees nowadays are these people in public with their necks down, focused on their phones, no expressions on their faces, no enthusiasm. Transfixed! Tunnel vision.

What I want to know is, how did they tear away from the phones in the first place to make friends to text with?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,445 times
I'll answer a text, or at least look at it when I'm hanging out. However, I don't get a lot of texts, so it isn't an issue. Why do so many people text him?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM

To answer natalyjones question: No. I am not romantically interested in him. I don't even know why and how we get along so well because we are just so opposite in so many ways.

He is almost desperate to have a girlfriend so he posts ads on craigslist, and other dating websites. He also has an account on myspace, myyearbook and many other social networking sites...I can't think of them all. When he's at home he is IMing almost all of the time and that is how he is meeting almost everybody. But the issue isn't when he's at home as our schedule is different enough where we're not at home at the same time that often.

He has met a few friends at work, which is where he gets other people texting him.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Texting is equivalent to answering your cell phone, to me. If it's necessary (like your boss, your mom, an emergency etc), then yes, text away/answer. Otherwise, it's just rude and shows the other person that they aren't worth your full attention/time.
I agree. I don't mind if you look at your phone once or twice during the evening to see if you missed any calls, or if you answer something important. Interrupting me or what we're doing to answer some random call? Very rude. Pretty much a dealbreaker.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 PM

67 views but only 8 votes??? I'm hoping to get a few more votes just to have a better general census on the issue.

Comments always welcome but the votes on the graph is what I'm really after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships