Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM

303 posts, read 563,344 times

Advertisements

Anyone else out there? I am not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here. Anyway, I invited someone over for Christmas (either day for a visit - no big deal) and never got a response back to my invitation. So I let it slide. Nothing more has been said about it and I confess I do feel awkward about the whole situation. I don't know whether to just act like I have other plans at this point or just be honest and say I am going to be alone. I guess it doesn't matter either way. I checked into volunteering but there is absolutely no need for my help anywhere.

I did just have a visitor the other day and I guess maybe that was my Christmas. Still, I feel like a loser being alone for the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglywump View Post
Anyone else out there? I am not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here. Anyway, I invited someone over for Christmas (either day for a visit - no big deal) and never got a response back to my invitation. So I let it slide. Nothing more has been said about it and I confess I do feel awkward about the whole situation. I don't know whether to just act like I have other plans at this point or just be honest and say I am going to be alone. I guess it doesn't matter either way. I checked into volunteering but there is absolutely no need for my help anywhere.

I did just have a visitor the other day and I guess maybe that was my Christmas. Still, I feel like a loser being alone for the holidays.
hmm why not volunteer at a local food shelter to help feed the needy that way you won't be alone and you will help out others during the holidays

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-22-2009 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: whoops I see you already checked into voluterring my bad

Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins

Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
Due to a family emergency that's taking my BF out of state (we can't afford two tickets), I'm going to be spending most of the holidays alone. It's not the first time this has happened, so I decided to turn it into a "me" day. I am stocking up on goodies, bought myself a new video game and girly pampering things, and am planning a cozy day at home. Don't get depressed about it- think of some things you like to do but don't get to do very often and do them. I'll call my family at some point so say hi, but otherwise, it's my day off.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
More and more people seem to be on their own these days. Census figures show that one-fourth of the nation’s households — 27.2 million of them — now consist of one person, compared to just 10 percent in 1950.

How to survive Christmas alone
Dec. 22: TODAY's Campbell Brown talks with Dr. Gail Saltz, a psychiatrist and show contributor, about how you can make the most of the holidays if you're not spending it with friends and family members.

Alone at Christmas? Start your own tradition - Mental health- msnbc.com

Old 12-22-2009, 11:50 AM

303 posts, read 563,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
More and more people seem to be on their own these days. Census figures show that one-fourth of the nation’s households — 27.2 million of them — now consist of one person, compared to just 10 percent in 1950.

How to survive Christmas alone
Dec. 22: TODAY's Campbell Brown talks with Dr. Gail Saltz, a psychiatrist and show contributor, about how you can make the most of the holidays if you're not spending it with friends and family members.

Alone at Christmas? Start your own tradition - Mental health- msnbc.com
Thanks a lot for this.

Quote:
For that matter, the average American has only two close friends in whom to confide — down from three in 1985, according to an authoritative sociological study released in June. Nearly a quarter have no confidant at all.
I consider myself blessed now. I have two very close friends I can tell anything to. Problem is, they live elsewhere.

This article does put things into perspective. I guess I just am not hearing about all the people in the same boat. It's being overshadowed by everything else.

To the poster who suggested volunteering, I did call the major referral number in my city and received a call back saying as of Thanksgiving all the places that needed help are booked. She suggested I contact local churches at this point but that is too much work. I was thinking more along the lines of Salvation Army, etc.

To the poster who suggested a "me" day, that is a good idea. My chosen family are my pets at this point, least where I live.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
The holidays are great and all, but you're not a loser if you are alone. Don't feel like you're missing out on anything during this one day when you have another 364 to cook great dinners, celebrate Jesus (if you believe) and your family and friends. You can hand out or receive gifts all year long, just because.

If you can't volunteer, stay home and devote your day to doing something you love that you don't have time for or haven't kept up with. Just a suggestion.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
BTDT! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Use the day to gift and pamper yourself because you deserve it.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:06 PM

440 posts, read 1,030,001 times
Make the best of it! Have a day for you! Dont let it get you down though, you shouldn't be ashamed for being alone for the holidays. Get a good book and a bottle of whine or some good movies. In all reality its just another day, its only a big deal because people make it seem that way.

Enjoy yourself!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
To the poster who suggested volunteering, I did call the major referral number in my city and received a call back saying as of Thanksgiving all the places that needed help are booked.
Have you considered spending some of the time visiting residents in a nursing home or assisted living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships