U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,957,995 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to comment a bit on beliefs and experiences, because I think it is a root cause of problems men face in relationships.
I read some of the advice some people give to men who seem to have trouble meeting and/or starting relationships with women, and I believe one of the root issues is the negative beliefs and experiences some have had, such as:
Women are only attracted to men w/money/good looks/buff body:
I think these beliefs are perpetuated by advertising, making men feel insecure if they don't look like the guys in the comercials, or dress like them, or drive the same kind of expensive car, or wear "axe". Or if they don't look like the ripped guys in the infomercials for crappy fitness products.

If you have not experienced otherwise, men tend to internalize these images and become paralyzed, because if you beleive this, you'll never have any confidence because there's always a "better mousetrap" coming down the pike.

My experiences, things I have seen and done, tell me otherwise. I am an okay looking dude (maybe a 6 out of 10 on the looks scale) and overweight, but I have had my share of relationships with some georgeous women (at least to me)
Most of my friends throughout my life have been great with women, and I wouldn't call them "male model material" My brother is like this also, married to a beautiful woman, and is a complete fool

I just say all that to say, be yourself, but strive to be the best you you can be. If you want to make more money, take steps toward that goal, but do it for yourself and not for anybody else. Same thing for fitness.

Do these things and everything else ( including women)will fall into place.

In my experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 AM

4,384 posts, read 2,057,367 times
I agree for the most part.

I think another problem is confidence in general. If one is content with themselves, this makes one more attractive a dating prospect.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 AM

622 posts, read 724,262 times
I totally agree. Well said.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 AM

11,514 posts, read 6,556,718 times

Well said, now could you put that on a wallet sized card so guys can re-read when necessary?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:14 PM

5,890 posts, read 4,718,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I just wanted to comment a bit on beliefs and experiences, because I think it is a root cause of problems men face in relationships.
I read some of the advice some people give to men who seem to have trouble meeting and/or starting relationships with women, and I believe one of the root issues is the negative beliefs and experiences some have had, such as:
Women are only attracted to men w/money/good looks/buff body:
I think these beliefs are perpetuated by advertising, making men feel insecure if they don't look like the guys in the comercials, or dress like them, or drive the same kind of expensive car, or wear "axe". Or if they don't look like the ripped guys in the infomercials for crappy fitness products.

If you have not experienced otherwise, men tend to internalize these images and become paralyzed, because if you beleive this, you'll never have any confidence because there's always a "better mousetrap" coming down the pike.

My experiences, things I have seen and done, tell me otherwise. I am an okay looking dude (maybe a 6 out of 10 on the looks scale) and overweight, but I have had my share of relationships with some georgeous women (at least to me)
Most of my friends throughout my life have been great with women, and I wouldn't call them "male model material" My brother is like this also, married to a beautiful woman, and is a complete fool

I just say all that to say, be yourself, but strive to be the best you you can be. If you want to make more money, take steps toward that goal, but do it for yourself and not for anybody else. Same thing for fitness.

In my experience
Words I live by, buddy! I also know the difference from being confident and being an arrogant a**. Many guys try to mold themselves into what they think a woman would want? I'm too set in my ways and really enjoy being myself. Many women are actually offended when they find out my hobbies and interests? I don't let it bother me because someday someone will find exactly what they are looking for. Be yourself! Rugged

Last edited by 2RUGGED4YOU; 12-24-2009 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Words I live by, buddy! I also know the difference from being confident and being an arrogant a**. Many guys try to mold themselves into what they think a woman would want? I'm too set in my ways and really enjoy being myself. Many women are actually offended when they find out my hobbies and interests? I don't let it bother me because someday someone will find exactly what they are looking for. Be yourself! Rugged
Seriously? Your hobbies look pretty normal to me. Hell you could do a lot worse things. Would these women who find these interests offensive prefer you to push narcotics, pimp ho's, or engage in racketeering?

Old 12-25-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Seriously? Your hobbies look pretty normal to me. Hell you could do a lot worse things. Would these women who find these interests offensive prefer you to push narcotics, pimp ho's, or engage in racketeering?
At least you know I'm honest, Aka the Police Department?LOL.........

Old 12-25-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
At least you know I'm honest, Aka the Police Department?LOL.........
Not to clear on the 'handyman' thing. Is that a code for the Zombie squad where you clean up the streets Sly Stallone style?

Old 12-25-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Not to clear on the 'handyman' thing. Is that a code for the Zombie squad where you clean up the streets Sly Stallone style?
Yep! JK Lately all I have been doing is reloading ammo and moonlighting at their houses. Like replacing a water heater and fixing a split pipe that the Mrs. left a hose on.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:15 AM

2,918 posts, read 1,053,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Same thing for fitness.

In my experience
So the weight loss is going well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships