Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:09 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,978,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
They're not being singled out here. There were two black and a Vietnamese reference along with Muslim, Indian and Asian all in one particular video. And the Caucasian jokes are varied and plentiful, not necessarily about them being racist.
I agree.

Maybe Jay misunderstood me. I was trying to say the reason some bring up they don't mind caucasian jokes is b'c they, themselves, are caucasian; they're showing they've got a sense of humor, not just about other racial jokes but their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 01:09 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,517,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
So does this officially remove me from your good example of a bad example list? That's where I was in the post you quoted me in, right? I am, after all, half White.
Nooooo, I was just citing examples!! I would assume a person would be hesitant to post a comment reverse of your comment I quoted.

"white guy using fingers to give himself slanted eyes thus making fun of Asians"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all racial humor is largely considered taboo unless at the expense of a Caucasian. There, I said it.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,978,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Nooooo, I was just citing examples!! I would assume a person would be hesitant to post a comment reverse of your comment I quoted.

"white guy using fingers to give himself slanted eyes thus making fun of Asians"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all racial humor is largely considered taboo unless at the expense of a Caucasian. There, I said it.
Nah, I don't see that at all. Some jokes--of any race--are in bad taste; those are understandably received poorly.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 AM

966 posts, read 2,440,989 times
It depends. Racial/ethnic humor can be hilarious and enlightening. Does anyone remember Robert Townsend's "The Hollywood Shuffle?" Side-splittin' stuff, esp. for those of us in the entertainment business. I like humor that points out things that are just ridiculous. On the other hand, some comedians do cross that line into put-down humor, and I hate it when people speak to me in fake "Ebonics," esp. since Standard American English is my first language. I was crackin' up on the phone with my "friend" (who is White, btw) about it just last week, creating a comic dialogue that would go something like this:

Hey, yo, girl. Wha's up?
Nothing much, Joe. How are you doing?
A'ight, a'ight
Etc.

(In the dialogue, Joe is a fifty-something year old White man, btw, who thinks he is being cool or "down." The "girl" is a forty-something year old Black woman who grew up on Air Force bases. Get the pic?)

Is it offensive? I think that depends on the frame of mind of the viewer, listener, or audience member.

I just find derogatory racial/ethnic humor cheap and boring. Makes me want to heckle the so-called comedian. lol.

Last edited by Nala8; 12-29-2009 at 01:29 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 05:49 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,047,000 times
No. More fun lost...

Old 12-29-2009, 06:14 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I was just watching Anjelah Johnson on Comedy Central and she is a riot. Love the Nail Salon and Bon Qui Qui skits.

I make fun of my own all the time and I make fun of myself even more. I'm not a fan of stereotyping when it serves to alienate. But it is based on truth and it makes for great comedy. Of course there is a time, a place and an audience for this type of thing.

How do you feel about it?
It depends on the comic. Some people are very funny and can parody themselves well, regardless of race, like Margaret Cho and Pablo Francisco. Others just come off as angry. I like Dave Chapelle ... Chris Rock not so much, although my husband and I mutter, "Taste the booger flavor" when we hand one another a cup of coffee.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,300,684 times
It never bothered me until one day this mexican lady we were visiting laid one on me. This was in California and she was having a party, and everybody was getting in her pool. She asked me if I was gonna get in and I told her no because I am not a good swimmer. Then she said real loud: "So how did you get to the US, didn't you swim over here?" She started laughing and some of her guests just shook their heads in disbelief. I just shrugged it off and walked away.
I believe there is a time and a place for everything and this was uncalled for. She didn't even know me that well to say it.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,499,902 times
Love the comical and absurd, but have mixed feelings about racial /ethnic humor.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,314,746 times
I'm an Equal Opportunity Jokester! No one is immune from comedy/humor in my book!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,369,490 times
Love it! Nothing funnier than poking fun at yourself. Or others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships