Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I love how there are so many comments on here about everyone being so open to racial humor, yet just about every one of them have been at the expense of whites.

Lol, somehow I'm really doubting all of you are so "open" about racial humor unless it's directed toward Caucasians.
Racial jokes and humor are only funny when they're two-way, when it's a good give AND take.

To me there's no one who tells a Polish joke better than a Polish person, and redneck jokes are best told by a redneck.

I think with political correctness only jokes against whites are acceptable and that isn't so good. I think that's why Carlos Mencia is truly funny while others are simply anti-white bigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
True jays, I don't think the openness and accepting of racial/ethnic humor is as proposed in this thread, thin line between humor and racism.

If an ethnic group wants to poke fun at themselves on comedy central, all well and good, we can stay tuned or click channels. As total white bread, I've been offended by some racial humor directed to their own ethnicity.

Now take this same humor everyone thinks is funny and use it in your day to day encounters...... not so funny anymore.

Quote:
Nooooo, I was just citing examples!! I would assume a person would be hesitant to post a comment reverse of your comment I quoted.

"white guy using fingers to give himself slanted eyes thus making fun of Asians"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all racial humor is largely considered taboo unless at the expense of a Caucasian. There, I said it.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
I'm not, but I have to be careful, because some people are offended, and some people may do it underhandedly to be mean.

I find Family Guy hilarious, and all reaces are equal opportunity victims.

Last week, my white co-worker came and asked me if I had any hot-sauce packets. (I'm black). When he asked, I turned around and gave him the 'are you assuming I have hot sauce because I'm black?' look and he turned red and was like 'I knew you were going to take it that way'. and we laughed it off. As a team we try to keep a small supply of condiments, napkins and utensils around, and I was the only one around, so he asked. It was funny.

I'm comfortable in my skin. God created us with variety and there are some things that are noticeably common among individual races. I can accept my variety and am totally comfortable at discussing it with others.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
True jays, I don't think the openness and accepting of racial/ethnic humor is as proposed in this thread, thin line between humor and racism.

If an ethnic group wants to poke fun at themselves on comedy central, all well and good, we can stay tuned or click channels. As total white bread, I've been offended by some racial humor directed to their own ethnicity.

Now take this same humor everyone thinks is funny and use it in your day to day encounters...... not so funny anymore.
There's definitely a time and place for it, and there's a line between an innocent observation and mean spirited put downs.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:20 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post

I find Family Guy hilarious, and all reaces are equal opportunity victims.

Last week, my white co-worker came and asked me if I had any hot-sauce packets. (I'm black). When he asked, I turned around and gave him the 'are you assuming I have hot sauce because I'm black?' look and he turned red and was like 'I knew you were going to take it that way'. and we laughed it off. As a team we try to keep a small supply of condiments, napkins and utensils around, and I was the only one around, so he asked. It was funny.
That's actually pretty damn funny.

Anyway, Family Guy is probably one of my favorites as well. They bash on the white Republican, the snooty Deomocrat, Mexicans, Asians (their Asian Reporter), and of course they make fun of blacks too.

Some of their jokes are quite shocking how they made it past the cut though. (like when he had a boatload of African slaves heading towards the US and the slaves were being loud and unruly so he threatened to "turn this boat around")

Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
There's definitely a time and place for it, and there's a line between an innocent observation and mean spirited put downs.

that kind of humor is food for a racist.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
That's actually pretty damn funny.

Anyway, Family Guy is probably one of my favorites as well. They bash on the white Republican, the snooty Deomocrat, Mexicans, Asians (their Asian Reporter), and of course they make fun of blacks too.

Some of their jokes are quite shocking how they made it past the cut though. (like when he had a boatload of African slaves heading towards the US and the slaves were being loud and unruly so he threatened to "turn this boat around")

That whole episode is wrong....LOL Stewie is a biracial child and innoncently says that he will be accepted by both races.

And then when they escape from the plantation, they escape on a white bronco a la OJ and Al Cowlings LOL. CRAZY.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
It's all in the delivery. When done well, this humor does not bother me in the least. When it's not, I consider the source and go along my merry way.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I'm not offended by any of them, even the worst ones you can dream up. I was desensitized to them a long long time ago.

I will admit - I generally lose some respect for someone who takes offense at them. The proper protocol is to throw one back, not to whine.

Last edited by le roi; 12-29-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 AM

371 posts, read 894,579 times
I don't if it's done right. I think "Blazing Saddles", is a good example of done right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships