Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times

Advertisements

Humm. I have an MA, MS and Ph.D. I am a consultant. My wife has the equivalent of a US GED and is a pædagog. I read history and philosophy. She reads romance novels. I like classical music. She likes Euro-pop. I like to waltz; she likes to Frug. Get the picture.

Every second I spend with this woman intrigues, excites and engages me. I live in such a small, boring world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
May be an old thread but those things are still happening today.

My late wife only had less them two yrs of high school when I met her.....I was still in College at that time.

I still married her....wonderful woman and gave me five children....am I sorry?.....NOPE.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
white collar worker,,,that was the original name to the bto song "takin care of business"

some guys are keen and clever but not very book smart...and some guys that work with their hands, thats all they know, and they hang with like minded peers, so, sometimes the labels of different groups fly- such as you mentioned.

if you have matured and evolved , at personal growth, thats a good thing- you explained this very well, without being condescending, so, normally i'd jump all over the spouse thinking they've moved "beyond" but I wont here...
relish in your enlightenment- think of it as personal growth..

your hubby may be a challenge-but you've got to think of different approaches-whatever group you want to run/hang with- find someone your hubby would get along well in- another husband with similar interests, etc

lay low on your new friends or crowd, he doesnt want to hear it- somehow, bank some goodwill, so he will volunteer to do something YOU want to do

one woman i was with,,,would say - fridays were my night to plan whatever I wanted to do and she would have to go along with it, but
saturday nights was her night to plan- and id have to go along with it....
so, i'd have to tag along to some things that weren't my comfort zone,,but i gave it a chance

try to get him to do something like this.

be extra nice to him, and when he asks, why? just lightly tell him, you are hoping he will return the favor-

Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
My wife says the same thing about me. She is the professional in the family and I spend all my time spinning my wheels I low paid HR jobs. She says I am boring because I am not as professional and intellectual as her. So I can relate to the discussion on this thread.
Just be happy she doesn't have a document that you need that would take all of your competence, expertise, and cunning to retrieve. It would be the end of your marriage.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I can see what she's saying about the "intellectual" thing, although it may have come off badly. I'm not a genius, and I don't need to be with a genius. But if I can't hold a truly fascinating conversation with my partner at least once in a while, I lose interest, fast.

It's no more snobby, shallow or unreasonable than saying you can't be with a person who's overweight, or a person who doesn't like the outdoors if that's very important to you, or a person who has no career ambitions (male or female), etc. This is just her personal "thing."

Now, on the other hand, you'd think she knew before they got married that he wasn't the intellectual type. OTOH, having been with someone for years and no longer having the distraction of an early marriage and actively raising children, it's possible this lack was overlooked by her at first, or that other things were great enough about her husband that she wanted to be with him. (Ugh, sorry for the run-on sentence.)

Now that the distractions are gone AND he doesn't want to/can't have a conversation that will get her intellectual juices flowing, AND he doesn't want to go out or do anything, well...there may just not be much left there.

I can understand this.

OP, I worry that it's not going to get better from here. If, OTOH, it is something like depression and he's willing to get help for that, perhaps there's hope. Otherwise, you truly have grown apart. Perhaps you should let one another go.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times
I'd say if you're not happy, then you're both better off with other people. If you simply have the "grass is greener" mentality, and can't realize that there's nothing wrong with the way he is, the two of you are simply not compatible any longer. Perhaps you are the one that needs to finally make a decision about what you want. However, if he simply doesn't think it necessary to nurture your relationship by taking an interest in you, then personally, I would want to move on anyway.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:58 PM

89 posts, read 110,662 times
Her husband:

Portrait of a blue collar worker. by kkgas - Stocksy United - Royalty-Free Stock Photos

Her and her friends:

Do they look like they would have a lot in common?

Old 08-15-2015, 01:09 PM

203 posts, read 172,628 times
Not sure if you're being serious with this, but what you're experiencing if true is what many, many, many, many have had to deal with over the centuries. Any man who would come on here and post what you did would probably get mercilessly ridiculed, but apparently you think that because the shoe is on the other foot and because you're a woman you have a legitimate beef and want sympathy. Not sure what your marriage vows were when you chose to get married, but usually they include something like "for richer and for poor" and "for better and for worse".

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Worker View Post
When I met my husband twenty four years ago, we were both teenagers living in a small town in PA. It was the basic small factory town common in PA where almost every man went to work out of High School and lived the factory life. My husband is blue collar working class, true and blue. If you were casting for a movie and wanted someone who looked like a blue collar factory worker- he would be the right choice.

But now we are in our forties and he is still in the factory but in a larger town and I work as an Attorney. My intellectual skills, education and income has gone way up from the day we got married. He is still the same person. He does not read, follow the news, talk about interesting things, or do anything to expand his mind or career.

We do not fight, just exist in the same house. We have four kids which makes a divorce difficult. He knows I am frustrated with him but can not change. Sometimes I think he does not have the intellectual skills to move out of his factory working class existence.

What should I do? I have passed my husband by mentally, emotionally, financially, occupationally, and intellectually. (Yes, I know I sound like a snob, but we are opposites)

Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,449,410 times
You spent more time with others due to your professional lifestyle and now you cannot relate to what you have at home...do as you wish, that's what got you here in the first place.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
The thread is from 2009 and the OP is no longer a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships