Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
You owe him big time financially (I'm sure he supported you all the way). Are you going to pay him alimony?

What does he enjoy? Do you even know? How do you support him and join him in those activities? Have you all tried doing something new together? Gone on a nice vacation since you make all those bucks now?

You only think you've passed him by. Go back and see where you got off track.

You are a snob. If you think someone better is around for the taking, think again. They aren't going to want you, because they know you have the same background and roots as your husband and they are just as shallow (if not more so) than you are!

I can see their future post, "she's an attorney in a small town, does nothing exciting--just wills and divorces, we have nothing in common..."
True -- it was likely with his support, he taking care of the four children besides working full time to provide the financial support so she could find time to study and attend classes and get started in her career.

Well - I just hope for the sake of him that he's finding her less desireable now too, maybe she doesn't have the same exact figure she once had so he's growing bored with her too.

In a case like this, I think the custody of the children should go to the one who didn't want to destroy the marriage if that spouse wants the children.

Either way, then she can be free to look for men who match her in education and in a few years she'll come back asking why educated men marry younger trophy wives, why educated superior divorced women with 4 children in their mid 40s have difficulty in finding ideal mates, why no intelligent high earning male lawyers aren't trying to find women like herself or why they can't manage to help her change a flat tire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Worker View Post
Actually during our marriage I have made about 75% of our combined income and I do not owe him anything financially. We we divorced it would hurt me financially much more than him.

He has made no effort to become more intellectual in his interests but I have agreed to attend events that match his interests like bowling and NASCAR.
Then divorce him already. No different than if he divorced you for losing the figure you once had, and you can start looking for the perfect mate. Good luck on that. Maybe try match dot com or harmony or something like that. I hope your kids like their new dad.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
"Good try"??
Is this some sort of contest with criteria I am not aware of to see who is most "superior" in responses?
I'm guessing you're responding to me and there is no contest whatsoever and no game where any "superior response" is concerned. I'm sorry you perceive my responses to this thread as such and have arbitrarily taken my comment with umbrage! If you had read the whole thread you might better understand.

I don't respond to posts willy-nilly. I've been a posting contributor to CD on several of its forums for some time now and when anything seems a little bit suspect where any post is concerned then I research the poster's previous posts. It's all out there and easily accessible even when posters change their monikers.

So again and in response to your question, the answer is no. I'm an open book with absolutely nothing to hide and no hidden agenda on either CD or a couple of other unrelated sites.

You can click onto my name on CD, get to my profile, my posts, my business website and see all. Nothing hidden at all. No games, nothing!

I responded as I did to your contributory post because it really wasn't relevant to the essence of the thread. Sorry if that bothered you. Cheers!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I question your intellectual prowess based on the fact you pose such a question on a public forum.

But that's just me.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Either that, or a Weekend Traveler.
Same writing style. Three word names...
And what a coincidence....exact same zip code on their profiles

It seems that White Collar Worker is Stranded and Lonely and a Weekend Traveler

Old 12-29-2009, 10:05 AM

622 posts, read 1,279,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am sorry but an intellectual connection is VERY important, that is why, I could never date a woman who does not have at least, a college education. It is not about being a snob, but it is very frustrating when you are with someone who is not educated.
You really think a college degree equals educated? Are you serious? Some of the most "uneducated" people I know have degrees. Im not knocking college. If you can go do go. But I know people with maters degrees who cant tell you what decade World War II took place in. The modern education system is a joke and a business. I learned nothing in college. I learned more reading on the internet. I support people going for enhanced career possibilities. But if you think you will come out of college "educated" you will be sadly disappointed.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,732 times
Quote:
When I met my husband twenty four years ago, we were both teenagers living in a small town in PA. It was the basic small factory town common in PA where almost every man went to work out of High School and lived the factory life. My husband is blue collar working class, true and blue. If you were casting for a movie and wanted someone who looked like a blue collar factory worker- he would be the right choice.

But now we are in our forties and he is still in the factory but in a larger town and I work as an Attorney. My intellectual skills, education and income has gone way up from the day we got married. He is still the same person. He does not read, follow the news, talk about interesting things, or do anything to expand his mind or career.

We do not fight, just exist in the same house. We have four kids which makes a divorce difficult. He knows I am frustrated with him but can not change. Sometimes I think he does not have the intellectual skills to move out of his factory working class existence.

What should I do? I have passed my husband by mentally, emotionally, financially, occupationally, and intellectually. (Yes, I know I sound like a snob, but we are opposites)

YES!!!! You do sound like a snob and now do not like him anymore because you think you are smarter then him.

uuuuuggggghhhhhh

Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Yours is not such an uncommon problem, but a very painful one. I am sure you still love each other, but you are living together as room mates and have nothing left in common except for your children. You have simply outgrown each other - it happens all too often.

You do not sound like a snob and anyone who would think so is out of touch.

You both have to determine what is the best course of action. Many people in similar situations wait until the children are in high school. You have much to consider but to continue a life that you are now in is no life.

I'm not sure if the OP said already how old her kids are? If they are older, than I would say you and your husband both deserve the chance to find someone that is a better match. If the kids are small and you could be happy for now to live the way things are, that is what's best for the kids IMO. You've already done it for 24 years, what's 5 more going to hurt.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
When I met my husband twenty four years ago, we were both teenagers living in a small town in PA. It was the basic small factory town common in PA where almost every man went to work out of High School and lived the factory life. My husband is blue collar working class, true and blue. If you were casting for a movie and wanted someone who looked like a blue collar factory worker- he would be the right choice.

But now we are in our forties and he is still in the factory but in a larger town and I work as an Attorney. My intellectual skills, education and income has gone way up from the day we got married. He is still the same person. He does not read, follow the news, talk about interesting things, or do anything to expand his mind or career.

We do not fight, just exist in the same house. We have four kids which makes a divorce difficult. He knows I am frustrated with him but can not change. Sometimes I think he does not have the intellectual skills to move out of his factory working class existence.

What should I do? I have passed my husband by mentally, emotionally, financially, occupationally, and intellectually. (Yes, I know I sound like a snob, but we are opposites)
You are in your 40s married 24 years and you sometimes think he can't change?
I would say you may not have surpassed him in intelligence if you can't figure this one out. And guess what, education does not ensure intellect. Sometimes people just like to play the part. If you were so smart you would have figured out long ago that you were not on the same page.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 AM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
None of the things you listed is as important as the question you need to be asking yourself, are you still happy in the marriage? Can you manage to live civilly in the same house without making each other miserable and effect your own children's happiness until they're older?
If you answer no to both then you pretty much have your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships