Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 AM

195 posts, read 293,479 times

Advertisements

During the Holiday Season I talked to many relatives. A large number of them are not dating or in any type of relationship at all. Many of the older relatives press them (even if it is none of their business) on the issue and the common statement is that they are just too busy to date or have a relationship with someone.

"Just too busy" is a code word now days for "no interest" "scared" or "out side of my comfort zone" These people have no children, a simple 8-5 job and a small social life. There are people who are high level executives working 80 hours a week who still find the time for dating and relationships.

Do you think the real reason so many people I know in their forties who have never dated or married is that they are really gay and are afraid to come out of the closet and are leading a secret life?

Last edited by Stranded and Lonely; 12-30-2009 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM

530 posts, read 779,725 times
Maybe they are dating and simply decided not to share.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,548 times
Perhaps they just don't wanna be bothered.
I know I dont. There is peace in solitude for some.
Whatever these 'codewords' and 'unwritten rules' are , it's all BS.
All of it.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 AM

40,949 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Do you think the real reason so many people I know in their forties who have never dated or married is that they are really gay and are afraid to come out of the closet and are leading a secret life?
Maybe they just think their personal life is nobody's business but their own.

We went to my wifes aunt's home for a CHristmas get together. The aunt is a Lesbian and we adults all know it. We don't pry into who's she dating. Funny thing, the Lesbian aunt is the only sane one in the group of 5 sisters. The others are mental cases.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,008 times
No, I used that excuse in the past. And I wasn't gay then and i'm not gay now. I just didn't feel like going over the whole story about how hard it was to find someone, yadda yadda yadda.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,191,716 times
Why is it anyone else business what these people get up to? It's totally bewildering. I hate the fact that if someone decided not to date anyone, it is automatically assumed he is gay or somewhat.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,418,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
There are LOTS of reasons why people don't date/marry and it's really nobody's business but their own. I'd much rather see a person remain true to themselves and stay single vs. getting married because it's the "socially accepted" thing to do.

And if, perchance, they happen to be gay...who the heck cares? Geez...

People should spend their time worrying about IMPORTANT things like world peace or somethin'.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM

37,580 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
There are LOTS of reasons why people don't date/marry and it's really nobody's business but their own. I'd much rather see a person remain true to themselves and stay single vs. getting married because it's the "socially accepted" thing to do.

And if, perchance, they happen to be gay...who the heck cares? Geez...

People should spend their time worrying about IMPORTANT things like world peace or somethin'.
What she ^^ said. Good grief.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
Why is it anyone else business what these people get up to? It's totally bewildering. I hate the fact that if someone decided not to date anyone, it is automatically assumed he is gay or somewhat.
Because some relatives have nothing better to do than to worry about why you're not married yet. All I kept hearing was "you're the last of the line to carry the name, why don't you find someone nice, you should find someone, blah blah blah".

Geez, shut the heck up already (sorry I can hear them in my head still ).

But yes, that created a lot of pressure on me and yes I did have trouble finding someone. So many times I wanted to just say "Hey, leave me alone, lets talk about something else." but couldn't because I'm not supposed to start a family war. Ugh.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,241 times
Maybe they're just ugly and nobody wants to date them? Geez, it doesn't mean they're gay necessarily....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships