Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 11:51 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
There has been lots of interesting conversation on this board about what it means to be a good husband or wife. And when someone should consider divorcing their spouse.

One of the main conflict points of many married couples is frequency of sex. In another post I told everyone I really do not have much of a sex drive and have always felt that the act of having sex was kind of ugly, dirty and unpleasant. It does not have anything to do with my wife, who is just wonderful, my feelings about sex would be the same no matter who I was married to.

I am sure my wife is telling her friends about our unsatisfactory sex life and they are telling her to demand more sex from her husband (me). They are probably saying that it is a husband's role to keep his wife happy sexually and romantically. But is that really the case?

Does a husband have a ethical and moral obligation in a marriage to have a sexual relationship? Just like his obligation of: being a good father, provider and communicator. (Remember, we can not fake interest like a woman can)
You absolutely give yourself to each other, who else are you gonna give it to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
Yes, they do if that was the agreement or understanding at the onset. Unless, of course, some valid (read: not made up) medical or psychological reason or your partner is a real jerk.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 AM

161 posts, read 102,444 times
You could be asexual?

I don't think anyone is owed sex, but equally I don't think two people with mismatched libidos should be in a relationship. This is something that should be considered before marriage.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
I don’t think that anybody “owes” anybody else anything other than the debts they have incurred.

I would also say that a marriage void of a healthy sex life would be detrimental and hard to maintain. It’s not impossible as a few posters on her can testify to but likely not as fulfilling as relationship with a fruitful sexual life.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:37 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

It depends on why you don't like sex. Some people are asexual and this is pretty much a sexual orientation in itself. Some people just don't have the desire for sex but live very fulfilling lives.
If someone is ace, they OWE it to a potential partner to make that known in the beginning stages of a relationship and let the other person do what they will with that information. They also ought to be offering the option of an open relationship.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
There has been lots of interesting conversation on this board about what it means to be a good husband or wife. And when someone should consider divorcing their spouse.

One of the main conflict points of many married couples is frequency of sex. In another post I told everyone I really do not have much of a sex drive and have always felt that the act of having sex was kind of ugly, dirty and unpleasant. It does not have anything to do with my wife, who is just wonderful, my feelings about sex would be the same no matter who I was married to.

I am sure my wife is telling her friends about our unsatisfactory sex life and they are telling her to demand more sex from her husband (me). They are probably saying that it is a husband's role to keep his wife happy sexually and romantically. But is that really the case?

Does a husband have a ethical and moral obligation in a marriage to have a sexual relationship? Just like his obligation of: being a good father, provider and communicator. (Remember, we can not fake interest like a woman can)
Living up to your screen name I guess.

Way I see it is if you’re not keeping your wife happy in ALL aspects of a marriage, she is going to go elsewhere. And you can’t blame her. I never understood people that stay in a marriage where some aspect of the relationship is missing. Sex money kids etc.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:49 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I don’t think that anybody “owes” anybody else anything other than the debts they have incurred.

I would also say that a marriage void of a healthy sex life would be detrimental and hard to maintain. It’s not impossible as a few posters on her can testify to but likely not as fulfilling as relationship with a fruitful sexual life.

A marriage without a healthy sex life has at least one miserable partner. Myself, I'm not into being miserable. Some people seem to really like it.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:04 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
One critical aspect of any marriage is Communication. If you dont communicate your feelings, desires etc, you will eventually fail in your marriage. trust me.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:

One of the main conflict points of many married couples is frequency of sex. In another post I told everyone I really do not have much of a sex drive and have always felt that the act of having sex was kind of ugly, dirty and unpleasant.
You do have a point. And sex it not everything and really can't be the basis for a good relationship. I've talked to countless people who told me they had great sex in their marriage but divorced anyway. Some of them even continued having sex during the divorce proceedings.

The people I know with high sex drives have a lot of conflict in their lives, are often frustrated and sometimes get into trouble doing things they shouldn't. Meanwhile, mocking less sexually charged people as being "prudes".

Old 06-23-2019, 01:11 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
....Some of them even continued having sex during the divorce proceedings.
You learn something new everyday..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships