Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,805,237 times

Advertisements

To all of you in a relationship or marriage up to what point would you still stay with them?
How about if something horrible happen to him/her and they got disfigured for life (ex: a car accident getting engulf in flames)?

Don't mean to sound all shallow but doesn't physical attractive to a point matter esp. when intimacy is involved? Besides the actual physical drama, there would be an emotionally and psychological impact as well. It'll never be the same ever again so I think in this case, you should let them go but be a helpful friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 AM

530 posts, read 777,862 times
If something like this happened to my husband I would be there! "I do" (well until your not pretty anymore). Not cool!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,006,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
To all of you in a relationship or marriage up to what point would you still stay with them?
How about if something horrible happen to him/her and they got disfigured for life (ex: a car accident getting engulf in flames)?

Don't mean to sound all shallow but doesn't physical attractive to a point matter esp. when intimacy is involved? Besides the actual physical drama, there would be an emotionally and psychological impact as well. It'll never be the same ever again so I think in this case, you should let them go but be a helpful friend.
"For richer or poorer, in good times and bad, in sickness and health - til death do us part". That's what I said, and that's what I meant.

I would stay with him and be his wife, no matter what.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,030,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post

Would you do the same if it was one of your kids?

busta

Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
"For richer or poorer, in good times and bad, in sickness and health - til death do us part". That's what I said, and that's what I meant.

I would stay with him and be his wife, no matter what.

20yrsinBranson
I totally understand your viewpoint but would only add the caveat that until and unless you actually go through such an experience (and I hope you NEVER do) you can never really know what you might do.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:08 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,580,674 times
If your SO got messed up in a car accident, would I still stay with them?

Of course I would.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:13 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,678,544 times
I'd leave, than run for President like John McCain...

Old 12-31-2009, 07:17 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,354,269 times
I would hope I would still stay with them.

I worked at a nursing & long term care facility where we had a lot of young people who were seriously injured (head-injuries, paralysis) from accidents or had debilitating illnesses. I witnessed a lot of the wives coming in to care for their husbands, but unfortunately the husbands were never seen.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,609,633 times
My motto "... in sickness and health - til death do us part". Easy to say. Hard to do.

When you actually find yourself in one of these situations, your outlook on everything changes. Are you really prepared to spend the rest of your life without companionship, without intimacy, without a physical and emotional connection to anyone? What if you want to have a family and now realize that now you can't? Who will be there for you when you need someone? Are you willing to give up your home, your posessions, you career, your pension, your 401K, your physical and mental health? Can you easily switch your emotions from being a caregiver one moment, dealing with all sorts of nasty human bolidly functions, and then the next moment felling intimate and sexy and making love to that same person? I think very few people can do this.

There are many cases that prove how long-term caring for a loved one can be detrimental to the health and welfare of the caregiver, and in many cases proves to be fatal.

This is a topic that definitely needs to be discussed among couples. My personal feeling is that if you really love someone then you should be able to let them go. I don't think I could live if I knew that my condition would be detrimental to the well-being of my spouse, and I hope that they would feel the same way.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,609,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I witnessed a lot of the wives coming in to care for their husbands, but unfortunately the husbands were never seen.
Sadly, I really believe that it's harder for men to deal with the isolation, the lonliness, and the lack of intimacy in these situations. Most of us don't have an emotional support system and friends outside of our wives the same way that women usually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships