Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do I text or call?
Always call first when you get a girls number 4 57.14%
Always text first when you get a girls number 1 14.29%
Depends on the vibe.... 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 AM

219 posts, read 877,965 times

Advertisements

With the ease and frequency of texting, has this replaced the phone call? If a girl gives you her number, do you text her or call her for the first time?

I feel the phone call is MUCH more personal and shows WAY more effort, but can often be more stressful than a simple text. The phone call puts the girl in an awkward position sometimes, whereas the text she has the option to write back when and if she chooses.

Ladies, which do you prefer? Guys, which do you tend to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I like texts, but I also hate talking on the phone (I tend to get distracted, and I also typically can't hear very well). That said, I think a text is more appropriate for something like "it was great seeing you tonight" rather than a full-on conversation.

That said, at times a phone call is nice, especially if I actually like the guy (opposed to giving my number out in a "what the he**" moment). I wouldn't get offended by whatever he chose to do.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Why text someone you don't want to talk to in the first place?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
I have alot of interaction with young people, age 17-28, with my current assignment. What I've noticed is that women are more likely to text than men. They'll spend 15 minutes back and forth texting a conversation that'd be less than 5 min on the phone. Even my wife is constantly texting, alot more than calling.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:03 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I like texts, but I also hate talking on the phone (I tend to get distracted, and I also typically can't hear very well). That said, I think a text is more appropriate for something like "it was great seeing you tonight" rather than a full-on conversation.
I agree about the "it was nice meeting you" kind of text, but if a dude asked me out for the first time by text and not phone I don't think I'd accept.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times
rather text. it doesnt interupt what im doing or what shes doing.

im more of an in person fellow though. id rather just meet somewhere or drive to their place. cant do that in the beginning so i will normally not mind making a few calls in the beginning. calls will always be better then texts even tho i like to text more.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Wow, if I suddenly became single I would be hopeless at meeting someone new.
I rarely answer the phone if I don't recognize the number (I may or may not get around to checking voicemail). I refuse to add texting on my cell phone plan. Do people still use instant messenger? What about email?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:16 AM

426 posts, read 791,728 times
Being a female, I would hope that he would call me, not text me. Once or if a relationship is established then a texting would be ok.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
The post and poll covers different questions and there are too many variables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaFlorida View Post
With the ease and frequency of texting, has this replaced the phone call?
Depends how one defines "replaced"...I think of replaced as eliminating, in that case no, people still call. As far what the MAJORITY of people do? I'll guess the majority of under 30 crowd text more often than call. Bump the age up to 50 and over and I'd guess they call more often than text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaFlorida View Post
If a girl gives you her number, do you text her or call her for the first time?
When you FIRST get her number it depends exactly how things are set up...

If a guy is having a chat and at the end of the night asks for her number, gets it, says nice to meet you and leaves. A call is required as you're marketing yourself to get her to want to go out on a date with you.
I'm finding this to be more and more rare.

I often find people "commit" to something such as a date before even they ask for their number. Something like, "I'd like to get to know you better, let's do dinner at XXX this Friday"...After the dinner offer is accepted, than the number is received; in that case a text is more likely.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
I wish people would realize that texting does not constitute "getting to know each other." I enjoy texting facts (such as time, place, directions, etc.) and just for fun banter (bored, waiting, etc.), but if this is how the guy wants to get to know me, then N-O. It just seems like a copout. Call me and ask me to grab coffee or sit in a park or SOMETHING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships