Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm glad it worked for you but this isn't a good answer. "Meds" may or may not be a solution. And giving an ultimatium like this may be the last thing you say as a married person so it's not something I would recommend.
I would suggest making sure a complete medical checkup is done that looks for conditions that could be causing the depression rather than just insist on popping a happy pill and expecting things to get better. There may also be a psychological reason behind it all. If she won't do it herself then you should take the lead and make an appointment and go with her.
you are right med are not the answer, but to get her "jump started " while she finds an exercise class and, get into dietary habits I would get a prescription of maybe thirty days and just take a half a pill even if its to get through the work day till natural things are in place. And in the mean time read up on the Cooper Institutes's finding in depression research.
They believe one day they will be able to "prescribe" exercise for patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
My parents are dealing with the same thing. My dad was diagnosed finally several years ago with bipolar disorder and it's slowly starting to get better.

First things first, if it is clinical depression, she needs to take her meds and to keep on taking them even when she feels good. Even if you have to stand there and watch her take the pills every morning, she must take them. Secondly, she will also need therapy because it's not just chemical, there are behaviors that become habits and they have to break those as well.

Third, find yourself a support group. Just being able to vent can help a lot. My mother found someone at her church going through something similar and the two of them loving having someone who understands.

Do you have kids? Growing up with a bipolar dad was a nightmare, and make her understand that her refusal to take meds is hurting her kids.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:47 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
My wife was doagnosed w mild depression, lately shes been real moody, walking around like a zombie and everything irritates her and shes always tired. Im having a hard time on how to help her deal with this, how can u help her, start getting better?
As the protector of your wife, it is not our job but your job to help her to get better. This could be the result of a chemical imbalance, to much stress or something being triggered from her childhood.

Number one, she needs your love and support and it may be that you will have to give a lot in this situation. She needs to be restored. Do you have any idea what has been depleted. A really good professional could help you find out. The blessing you will get from getting to the bottom of this will be for both of you.

Depression is an illness and should get the same sympathy that a major illness would get. It will require more understanding than any illness would need. Just look to see what she needs and try to provide it.

I had a science teacher that was convinced that all depression was a result of a bad diet. Maybe that would be a good place to start. And make sure she takes all necessary vitamins. She needs to get out of the house more and do fun things and not be overly concerned with duties. Things around the house can be straightened out when she is well.

If you have children, they should be brought into the plan. Let them know that Mommie is sick and not just being difficult. She can't help it. She has probably been there for all of you and now it is your turn to be there for her. God bless you all and just be thankful you caught it when she was a little depressed.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,987 times
I have a mild depression too. My husband has difficulties on taking care of me. He feels what you feel.
But he never stops taking care of me. He gives all the love that I needed.....ahaha. Well, aside from that I am taking Sullian. It is very effective. And also zoloft... Although it's just a mild depression. People who are suffering from this might lead into manic depressive disorder so your wife should cooperate with you for her own good.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Have you tried talking to her Doctor without her. I know of a person like this right now, and believe me, this is not a easy issue, to resolve, for the person themselves, has alslo got to want and help themselves. Sometimes the medication, does not help the situation, actually makes the depression worse, and a change of medicine is needed. Be patient, that is what i can say. This is something that will happen, when she is ready and mentally able.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
it seems me taking her to the gym w me is working

Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
My wife was doagnosed w mild depression, lately shes been real moody, walking around like a zombie and everything irritates her and shes always tired. Im having a hard time on how to help her deal with this, how can u help her, start getting better?
I haven't read the thread yet butI'm sure posts are screaming medication as we are being taught to throw pills at everything. I don't believe pills are the answer. Whatever is causing her depression will still be there when the pills wear off. I got over my depression when I sat down and took a "no holds barred" inventory my life. And it wasn't easy. I went back as far as I could wrote down everything that had affected my life in a negative way and how it was dealt with. You'd be amazed how many traumas are never dealt with. Some traumas were from my childhood that being an adult I was able to recognize as traumatic and deal with it.

She may need help from you: unconditional, NON-judgemental, patient support. I cannot emphasize the "non-judgemental" part enough. It will take time: how long will depend on how much trauma and her ability to work on it. And how much support she gets from the people she loves and trusts.

Please don't expect an instant cure. She didn't get depressed overnight and she won't get over her depression overnight.

Anyway that's my been there, done that. I hope it helps.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:28 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
This is gonna sound cold blooded but you have to give her an ultimatum. either meds or you will find something else to occupy your time. I went through twelve years of living with an unmedicated bi-polar spouse (with kids). whats worse is she never told me she needed to be on medication so I thought it was me all those years, when I said I was gonna walk in order to spare her any more of what ever I was doing to make her this way, she got on meds.
There's a significant difference between depression and bipolar. Bi-polar is a chemical imbalance that can only be cured with meds; depression is mostly caused by environmental factors. Pills can't cure that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships