Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM

645 posts, read 1,451,784 times

Advertisements

Like your life isn't going anywhere? lol

I'm 28 going on 29, I have no career(but I do have a job) and I'm grateful for all that I have. I'm still in UG school, I have no children, I go to church most sundays. I am seeing someone but he doesn't like to do much but sit in the house) my life overall is very boring, I try to spice it up and travel as much as I can and working out to stay in shape. I don't have many friends, and the few I have are already settle down and married, or they are too busy, or we just don't have much in common. What is a girl to do? Anyone ever been down this road, and if so how did you manage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM

1,341 posts, read 3,912,210 times
I'm 24 and I sort of have the same situation. Most of my friends are married or either have a girlfriend and don't get out too much. It's usually me going over there, having a few beers and thats it. They're satisfied with their life which I don't see how. They have done absolutely nothing with their lives.

I would say drop the boyfriend(lazy it sounds like.), finish your schooling and maybe move to a desired location if you have one or travel. If you decide to move, make sure you get a job though first of course.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 AM

645 posts, read 1,451,784 times
^^Thank You!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 AM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
Default Sorry a bit of personal rambling...

Girl I'm on the same path right now.
Go to the second part to skip the rambling.

When I was in high school I had it all planned out. Heck, I had it planned out since the 6th grade. I would finish high school in two years (did it in three since my counselor said two years wasn't possible), go off to college in NYC to an awesome art school (how I was planning to pay for that I don't know).

Reality was...I moved to Austin four months before graduation and that F'ed up everything, but I manage to salvage what I could and still accomplish graduating a year early. Didn't want to go to UT because I was living in Austin and didn't want to stay home for school so I went the CC route for about three years (the first year and half was um....complicated). After that I got my act together and transferred to U of Houston in Houston and was there for three years.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Now I find myself stuck and unable to graduate because I got so caught up in the big picture that I forgot a minor detail that's standing in my way of graduation (damn you foreign language requirement). So here I am, 27 (birthday was in Dec.) and still technically and "undergrad," and still trying to tie up loose ends.

I had to leave Houston back in Feb. 09 to help my parents sell their home in Austin. Due to no job prospect I had to leave everything I knew behind (the friends I've had since childhood, and boyfriend of over 5 years) and move with my parents to the middle of no where.

A year later still no job, got about three interviews (even though I revamped my resume a few times), my savings is down to 0, my checking account is running dry, and I spend most of my time locked up in my room (I currently make what little money I can by writing articles online, so I spend a lot of time on the computer).

So yeah, I definitely feel like my life is going no where. Even more so when I hear that one of my friends have gotten promoted at work, getting married, gotten engaged, etc. I'm missing out on everything since I'm so far away from everyone, and I have no social life. Making friends for me is hard because I'm not a people person. I'm just not social, and I don't know how to pretend to care about something I don't care about. I'm also not very good at small talk.

But I'm working on changing it all this year though.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
I had this phase when I was 21/22.

Only a BLAST changes the course of things.

In case you're wondering what the blast was, I was assigned to work in China for a few months. And I witnessed a new China and a new world order formulating at the turn of the millennium. The world is huge and to realize one's ambition and life objectives, one must step his/her foot out of the pond.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
Like your life isn't going anywhere? lol

I'm 28 going on 29, I have no career(but I do have a job) and I'm grateful for all that I have. I'm still in UG school, I have no children, I go to church most sundays. I am seeing someone but he doesn't like to do much but sit in the house) my life overall is very boring, I try to spice it up and travel as much as I can and working out to stay in shape. I don't have many friends, and the few I have are already settle down and married, or they are too busy, or we just don't have much in common. What is a girl to do? Anyone ever been down this road, and if so how did you manage?
I have a friend like you.

He is single but still at home. His Dad was having health problems. He doesn't have a job right now. Always complaining his life sucks or he doesn't have fun. All his friends are married. He doesn't want to hang with me cause I am married. Married yes...dead no. I still can hang.

Sad.

You need to go on a vacation to start.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
I know you say your BF just likes to sit around, but what exactly would you like to do? He could be the problem but it could be where you live. I have a friend who was in the same situation, but the odd part was her idea of "doing something" was constantly going out shopping, eating out and dropping a lot of money at the bars/clubs. She has a huge debt and really nothing to show for it. While she claims to not be materialistic, I'll guess deep down she's looking sugar daddy...

Do you like the outdoors such as hiking? Perhaps you should consider moving to a more outdoorsy state.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,178,879 times
In the list of priorities in life there are those things you are fully capable of getting on your own and others where it takes two. Always take care of yourself first and the rest will find it's way and along that way your value system or list of priorities will change as you begin to accomplish for you IMO

Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
When I felt my life was in a rut, I made a list of all of the things I felt were wrong and a list of what I wanted from my life. Then I decided that I couldn't have the life I wanted where I was, so two months ago, I packed up and move halfway across the country. Yes, it's a bold move, but I am so much happier in my new home. Maybe that will work for you as well. (btw: it took me a year to zero in on a place - so this is not an instant solution.)

Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Dump the lazy boyfriend, it sounds like you are settling. It sounds like you are settling your entire life. You are still young. Instead find something you love and start doing it. You say you like to travel, can you somehow put that into a career? Join the Peace Corp? Start living your life and enjoy it, get rid of everything negative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships