U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM

239 posts, read 478,078 times

Advertisements

I’ve noticed that a lot of overweight women, call straight men who aren’t attracted to them, “shallow, superficial jerks”. The attitude and sense of entitlement of these women, as it pertains to straight men, is something I don't understand.

I’m gay. Obviously, I’m not attracted to women. No-one in their right mind would call a gay man “shallow” for rejecting a women whom he’s not attracted to. Yet, it’s perfectly acceptable to call a straight man, a “shallow, superficial jerk”, for rejecting a woman whom he’s not attracted to. For the life of me, I don’t understand this attitude at all.

Can someone please explain this double standard? Everyone has a preference. What's so wrong with a guy having a preference for a slimmer woman? As long as the person is nice and respectful about it, why not just wish them the best, and move on?

Last edited by Creativeguy504; 01-02-2010 at 04:50 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 04:36 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,097,453 times
This may sound harsh, but I have little time for overweight women who complain about being dateless.

I guess in life, expecting the world change to suit our well-being is foolhardy. Sometimes, we have to change to suit it.

Now, overweight women are second-grade dating material since US and Western society prizes slim as beautiful. This is, at least in modern times, how it is. So given dating attitudes of contemporary Western society, fat women would be lower in the dating totem pole than slim women.

This is where the point in the second paragraph comes in. Problems always have solutions, so what can a fat woman do? I can think of these things:

- Hold out until a man who doesn't mind weight/heaviness comes along. This could readily work, but such men are few and far between. It perhaps depends on how fat a given woman is. If a few pounds overweight, then it may not be an issue. But over 300 pounds, then..well I think she'll be holding for some time.

- Lose weight, be more active and eat healthier.

- Be a more open person, be friendlier, and smile more. Personality often can supersede looks, and it is not a cliche/platitude, IMO at the least. I've personally known women who at first meeting I thought were unattractive, yet at subsequent meetings grew on me since they were very funny, open and kind. Being such a way can attract others to you, since people warm to you and feel good around you, whether platonically or romantically.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,460,088 times
The "woe is me" attitude of many overweight women when it comes to dating, amazes me

This could go for just about anybody...not necessarily only overweight women.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Ep-

2,067 posts, read 3,441,385 times
anytime i notice i put on a few pounds i burn it off quick. hasnt happened in awhile tho cause i exercise reguarly. dunno why these fat chicks dont just hit the gym and eat healthy instead of spending their life crying about being fat. in a few months they could be thin !

Old 01-02-2010, 04:41 PM

6,764 posts, read 18,869,038 times
Yet another fat chick thread.
Why would a GAY MAN care?
PS I have been overweight since I was a teen and I live(d) a full life. Anyone can make themselves a victim of life. Many plus size women have admirers and get married....

Old 01-02-2010, 04:41 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 16,899,888 times
*yawn* The title of this could very well have been about 'over weight people', not just women. I've seen plenty of over weight men complain about superficial women who won't give them the time of day b'c of their weight. And when I was over weight I never had a woe is me attitude and I'm sure I'm not the exception so you'd do well to not generalize people.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
*yawn* The title of this could very well have been about 'over weight people', not just women. I've seen plenty of over weight men complain about superficial women who won't give them the time of day b'c of their weight. And when I was over weight I never had a woe is me attitude and I'm sure I'm not the exception so you'd do well to not generalize people.
Who said I was generalizing? Before you respond in a thread, it might be a good idea to actually read the thread. I said "many" overweight women, not most.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 16,899,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
Who said I was generalizing? Before you respond in a thread, it might be a good idea to actually read the thread. I said "many" overweight women, not most.
I saw what you said. Like someone else asked, why would a gay man care?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:47 PM

2,115 posts, read 4,284,864 times
Quote:
Exactly. It's not subjective. Gay men like MEN, not women, so it doesn't matter if the chick was the hottest thing on the face of the planet - she still doesn't have what the gay man wants.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Simple curiosity, nothing more. I find the whole attitude strange. If I'm not someone's type, I wish them the best and move on. As long as they're nice and respectful about it, no harm's done. Why others feel sorry for themselves and bash people who aren't attracted to them, is something I'll never understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or