Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:28 PM

47 posts, read 39,222 times

Advertisements

I met a man online in October last year. We talked online and eventually on the phone for awhile. He asked me to come and visit him, and I thought I was being smart by waiting 4-5 months before doing so. We talked everyday on the phone, I was always open and honest with him. He sent me a very nice Christmas gift and Valentines Day gift. So, I thought he felt the same for me as I did him. Well to make a long story short, I did go and visit him. And after I returned home, without any warning he just backed off. Never telling me anything. I have now learned that he had been talking to another woman for the past 3 months he was talking to me. I guess what hurts the most is the fact that I confided in him and he was the first man I cared about since my husband passed away 3 yrs ago. I feel he took advantage of that and ran with it. I am lucky that he didn't take more than my emotions. How can you tell if someone is really honest with you? I thought I knew, but obviously, I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 PM

550 posts, read 2,824,937 times
I am sorry for the loss of your husband. Unfortunately you found an online pig. He was obviously having his cake and eating it too. It sounds like he met all of you and chose the one he liked best. Shame on him for leading you on like that when he knew you were vulnerable.

As much as this hurts you will have to pick yourself up, brush yourself off and move on. Just remember, it's not your fault he is such a jerk and you are lucky that it didn't go farther and hurt even more.

The best of luck to you swtpolly!

Old 05-22-2007, 04:56 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtpolly View Post
I met a man online in October last year. We talked online and eventually on the phone for awhile. He asked me to come and visit him, and I thought I was being smart by waiting 4-5 months before doing so. We talked everyday on the phone, I was always open and honest with him. He sent me a very nice Christmas gift and Valentines Day gift. So, I thought he felt the same for me as I did him. Well to make a long story short, I did go and visit him. And after I returned home, without any warning he just backed off. Never telling me anything. I have now learned that he had been talking to another woman for the past 3 months he was talking to me. I guess what hurts the most is the fact that I confided in him and he was the first man I cared about since my husband passed away 3 yrs ago. I feel he took advantage of that and ran with it. I am lucky that he didn't take more than my emotions. How can you tell if someone is really honest with you? I thought I knew, but obviously, I don't.
Wow, I am so sorry you got burned that way. I'm married and never had any experience with internet dating therefore. So there are probably people on this forum that can give you a lot better and more specific advice than I can.
I can only say that, as you found out, internet is not real life to be sure. People can say or be anything they want to be on the internet. Sounds like you did everything right. My point, I guess, is just sometimes you can't tell. And sometimes, that can even be true in "real" life too. As you said, I think it is good that you found out this stuff before it went any further. Sometimes, too, relationships seem to "work" over the internet and not in person. Sounds llike , though, there was more going on with him than just lack of personal "chemistry" upon meeting.

So...in answer to your inquiry about how can you tell, I'm not sure you can. I think you just have to use your discernment and good judgment to the best of your ability. And we can all be wrong even then. What happened here could have happened to any of us in my opinion. Just don't let it harden you to the point that you don't trust anyone. That's more of a tragedy I think.
I wish you the best. Blessings!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:02 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Polly, next time tell the gentleman to come meet you. DO NOT give him your home address. If he is truly interested he will pay the travel expense to meet you. Sorry about your husbands death. The loneliness (I am tols) is unimaginable unless you have experienced it. Good luck to you Polly

Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Quote:
I am so sorry, I did the online thing once and it was horrible. He totally lied to me about himself. I have a friend who I have only seen 3 times in 7 years. Believe me nothing beats being with a person in person. The phone, internet is nothing but words and they work well for me but it is nothing like seeing the person and being with them. I will never take anyones word on the phone or internet. I need to see them face to face. That's just me. I have been enthralled by words to an unbelievable point and then just disappointed. I try really hard to be honest here and in person. Just be careful next time and good luck.
Terry

Old 05-22-2007, 05:31 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,087 times
Blue is so right on this. If you go out of your way to meet a guy then in a way he might think your to "easy" or not much of a challenge so he looses interest. Guys are funny like this. There is an old saying "If Willie is willing, he will sure find a way" which I go by. Internet dating can be so hard sometimes.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:48 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,005 times
I tried the computer dating shortly after I got divorced, but just for a very short while. I got SO sick from kissing the monitor after it was cleaned with Windex.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Polly, next time tell the gentleman to come meet you. DO NOT give him your home address. If he is truly interested he will pay the travel expense to meet you. Sorry about your husbands death. The loneliness (I am tols) is unimaginable unless you have experienced it. Good luck to you Polly

To the OP- sorry for your loss.

I know a couple at work who have a decent marriage- they met online. IMO if you are honest, read between the lines- you can usually tell when someone is bs'íng-- or embellishing. That being said there are some psychos (male or female) out there- so be careful!

sunny

Old 05-22-2007, 06:28 PM

117 posts, read 214,771 times
Quote:
Well the question is- did he get any? If so then you know your answer, the old hit-n-run trick. Aslo he may just have wanted to boost his esteem by just accomplishing the feat of truly getting someone to be interested in him.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM

117 posts, read 214,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow, I am so sorry you got burned that way. I'm married and never had any experience with internet dating therefore. So there are probably people on this forum that can give you a lot better and more specific advice than I can.
I can only say that, as you found out, internet is not real life to be sure. People can say or be anything they want to be on the internet. Sounds like you did everything right. My point, I guess, is just sometimes you can't tell. And sometimes, that can even be true in "real" life too. As you said, I think it is good that you found out this stuff before it went any further. Sometimes, too, relationships seem to "work" over the internet and not in person. Sounds llike , though, there was more going on with him than just lack of personal "chemistry" upon meeting.

So...in answer to your inquiry about how can you tell, I'm not sure you can. I think you just have to use your discernment and good judgment to the best of your ability. And we can all be wrong even then. What happened here could have happened to any of us in my opinion. Just don't let it harden you to the point that you don't trust anyone. That's more of a tragedy I think.
I wish you the best. Blessings!
You are so right, you cannot trust anyone else, everyone has their lil secret side no matter what or how they come across, even if they lived up to some things to you in the past, they probably have something to offset it each time within their secret side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships